Wild Bore

4extreme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Take that post down, it's all fake news. There are no wild hogs in alberta. J/k.
There a price on them but trying to get info on where to find them is hard. Not many hunters want to give up their secret places to hunt them.

BILTIT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
According to the article its only in effect in 2 places, county of stettler and MD of peace.

The big greasy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
According to the article its only in effect in 2 places, county of stettler and MD of peace.

I would like to know where all these hogs are around Stettler. I've traveled lots of the back roads in the county for 20 years and never seen one on the run.

4extreme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a feeling this is more about controlling where the hogs are spreading. Just like anyone can get a bow tag for moose around the city but it takes years to get one in rural alberta. Bow hunting in the wmu 248 is to keep game away from traffic. The gov't doesn't want the cost of controlling the hog so it's getting pass into the hunter. (Now it's always a choice to hunt these animals)

Stg2Suby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Heard an interesting interview with invasive species expert on the radio last week. Apparently it's not recommended to control the wild boars by hunting, they're very smart and learn quickly to avoid humans/hunters. There's been sitings just east of Edmonton city limits and concern now they may make it into the river valley through town.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My dad snared them around mayerthorpe and Romeo lake years ago. He’s an old trapper from way back and said they were by far the hardest and smartest animals he’s trapped. He used the same size of snares as he would for wolves and lost a few. He ended up getting around 50 in that one winter. Most farmers will let you hunt them around there as they wreck so much stuff. They like low mossy areas and will dig in under the moss.

Last edited:

rsmorin1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I shot one around the mayerthorpe area a few years back, brought it in & had it butchered. The meat was a bit darker, I didn’t mind the taste kinda sweetness to it, but I didn’t care for the smell when cooking it. The wife didn’t care for it at all. My buddy loved it & gave him some of it. Acquired taste I guess.

The big greasy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
wild tv has some great shows from Texas and Florida shooting wild boar

I just watched meat eater trap an shoot pigs on wild tv.

Not to change the subject but go to the 3 part episode of meat eater when he goes to the jungle. He eats a fish and a monkey. Watching him with the monkey is for a real good laugh.

Top Bottom