Why 75% of vehicles on roads may soon be zero-emission

Couch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pretty useless to have EV’s sice they cause more carbon than everything else.
Government handed billions to the muskrat falls dam project and its not even fully operational yet.

Which gov't are you talking about? Same one that bought a pipeline? Up to recently the feds gave MF loan guarantees only (first one was by Harper for the record) ....with actual project costs being born by a captive market. It should not have been undertaken by a government entity - poorly conceived and implemented. However I'm not sure what you point is as the article link points to one about China's GHG output.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Which gov't are you talking about? Same one that bought a pipeline? Up to recently the feds gave MF loan guarantees only (first one was by Harper for the record) ....with actual project costs being born by a captive market. It should not have been undertaken by a government entity - poorly conceived and implemented. However I'm not sure what you point is as the article link points to one about China's GHG output.

My point??? 2035 ICE proposed ban by the Federal government.
Billions of dollars were just spent to lower the electricity costs on a failure management of a hydro project, with electric vehicles ideals being the savior for carbon output, when other countries do not care.

Couch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My point??? 2035 ICE proposed ban by the Federal government.
Billions of dollars were just spent to lower the electricity costs on a failure management of a hydro project, with electric vehicles ideals being the savior for carbon output, when other countries do not care.
You may not like it but Canada isn't alone on this front. Billions spent on lots of other energy projects inc o&g / nuclear, hydro, fusion, hydrogen, fission, solar, wind, etc ... again, what's your point.
MF was a cluster #k from the moment a conservative premier started a pissing match with a conservative PM ....not a lib fan by any stretch but this started by two PC's ...

Re EVs, horse carrige builders were likely just as frustrated when ford started building cars .... things change ...lots of greenwashing going on all sides, lots of lobbyists and politicians getting rich, average joe will be happy to have a job that pays for it non the wiser ....more things change the more it stays the same ....

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You may not like it but Canada isn't alone on this front. Billions spent on lots of other energy projects inc o&g / nuclear, hydro, fusion, hydrogen, fission, solar, wind, etc ... again, what's your point.
MF was a cluster #k from the moment a conservative premier started a pissing match with a conservative PM ....not a lib fan by any stretch but this started by two PC's ...

Re EVs, horse carrige builders were likely just as frustrated when ford started building cars .... things change ...lots of greenwashing going on all sides, lots of lobbyists and politicians getting rich, average joe will be happy to have a job that pays for it non the wiser ....more things change the more it stays the same ....

I Dont care what party started what, a conservative ruined Canadas aerospace industry, with the cancellation of the arrow.
We’re billions spent by government to avoid having high electricity costs past on to consumers in the past?
Hows about other projects, was billions given to a project in the past to avoid passing costs onto consumers?
My point is Trudeau looks to me, is giving away money to keep electricity looking good while trying to appease the goal of banning the sale of ICE.

Last edited:

Couch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I Dont care what party started what, a conservative ruined Canadas aerospace industry, with the cancellation of the arrow.
We’re billions spent by government to avoid having high electricity costs past on to consumers in the past?
Hows about other projects, was billions given to a project in the past to avoid passing costs onto consumers?
My point is Trudeau looks to me, is giving away money to keep electricity looking good while trying to appease the goal of banning the sale of ICE.
????
Billions given to auto sector directly and indirectly over the years ....billions to O&G, billions to tech .....
EVs will dominate in urban areas for sure . .not so much in rural / sparse and long haul ....same as with high-speed Internet access ...5G in urban areas while rural is lucky to get dial up ....

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'd really like to see a zero emission vehicle, because as of yet I haven't. Telsa nor an EV is even close to a true net zero. It's more of a net zero NIMBY, the emissions are all created elsewhere so who cares right?

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'd really like to see a zero emission vehicle, because as of yet I haven't. Telsa nor an EV is even close to a true net zero. It's more of a net zero NIMBY, the emissions are all created elsewhere so who cares right?
Right ! Makes me laugh when I hear all the comments congratulating EV owners and manufacturers on reducing emissions. Basically same components , parts and pieces, built the same way , same eco impact . And when you factor in the mining and production of the battery materials , I really have doubts about the true actual difference in emissions we are making. And moving the impact from North America to countries elsewhere , is out of sight out of mind , not a win .
Possibly if as much money and initiative and research was put into improving IC technology , an equal reduction in emissions may be attainable. But cynicism causes me to think that wouldn’t benefit the true benefactors in this seemingly desperate race to end fossil fuel use.

Last edited:

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A Tesla Model 3 can drive 500km on 88kwh of electricity. The Alberta power grid averaged 790g/kwh of CO2 in 2017. Therefore at a powerplant stack somewhere, 69.5kg of CO2 is emitted to drive this Tesla 500km in Alberta.
A Honda Civic EX can drive 500km on 30 liters of Gasoline. Gasoline emits 2.3kg of CO2 for every liter burned. Therefore the Civic emits 69kg of CO2 to drive 500km.
An Audi S5 can drive 500km on 42.5 liters of Gasoline. Emitting 97.75kg of CO2 on that same trip.

The numbers are similar, but with the gradual phaseout of coal power in Alberta todays numbers would put the Tesla slightly ahead. Alberta has the most carbon intensive power in Canada. In BC that figure drops to 1.1kg of CO2, in Ontario it would be 3.5kg of CO2 to drive a Model 3 500km.

At present there is a definite justification for EV's in most Provinces except Alberta, Saskatchewan and Nova Scotia, as the higher CO2 emissions from power generation make the difference to a cheap ICE powered car like a Civic negligible. Now a Model 3 isn't really an under-powered commuter car like a Civic, and should be compared to the Audi, in which it still has the advantage of lower emissions.

Now a person could setup some kind of renewable generation like solar PV to offset the electricity used from the grid if so desired to reduce CO2 output.

Here's my sources for this data should someone want to check my numbers:

Tesla: https://www.tesla.com/en_ca/model3
Honda: https://www.honda.ca/civic_sedan/specs
Audi: https://www.audi.ca/ca/web/en/model...s/a5/s5-coupe-new.summary_layer_techdata.html

CO2 output per kwh per province: https://www.cer-rec.gc.ca/en/data-a...2017-energy-market-analysis-ghg-emission.html
CO2 per liter of gasoline burned: https://www.google.com/search?q=co2...2l4j69i60l2.1532j0j9&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes and the 2000tons of toxic waste to produce 1 ton rare earth for these cars...well i am not sure what the hell you do with that. Lets shovel that one under the rug.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes and the 2000tons of toxic waste to produce 1 ton rare earth for these cars...well i am not sure what the hell you do with that. Lets shovel that one under the rug.
What's the definition of toxic waste?

Or are you referring to overburden that is then placed back once mining is complete?

Just curious.

broke'n'nuts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The toxic waste to me would be the tailings. Don't care what mine you are in. Oilsands, gold, uranium, the tailings, or leftover chemicals from the extraction process is always toxic. Giant mine in yellow knife has tons of arsenic stored underground(toxic waste) that they tried to get out of cleaning up.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The toxic waste to me would be the tailings. Don't care what mine you are in. Oilsands, gold, uranium, the tailings, or leftover chemicals from the extraction process is always toxic. Giant mine in yellow knife has tons of arsenic stored underground(toxic waste) that they tried to get out of cleaning up.

Is this arsenic something dug up and just being returned to the ground it came from or is it from chemicals used to leach the ore?

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No it is not, it is the really bad stuff.... copied and pasted for those who do not like reading stuff.

The ores that rare-earths are extracted from are often laced with radioactive materials such as thorium. Separating the materials requires huge amounts of carcinogenic compounds like sulphate, ammonia and hydrochloric acid. Processing 1 tonne of rare-earths can produce up to 2000 tonnes of toxic waste.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That is not even getting the amount of ore you have to process to obtain a small amount of neodymium. If this was all factored into the equation...evs would not be sitting on a pedestal

Top Bottom