Who would have thought?

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
BC lower personal income tax rate than Alberta? My guess with PST they still pay more, but maybe not.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Everything I own burns fossil fuels, and copious amounts of them, I think I'll pay a little more in income tax over carbon tax. Not to mention the fact that I don't have to pay PST on every motorized vehicle (new or used) that I buy. So I think we are still better off, plus there is more money to be made in Alberta.

eclipse1966

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't understand this theory "plus there is more money to be made in Alberta". IMO that depends on what you do for a living. I lived in Alberta years ago and came back to BC and make more money than I ever did in Alberta. Ever go to Vancouver and see the money there??

Everything I own burns fossil fuels, and copious amounts of them, I think I'll pay a little more in income tax over carbon tax. Not to mention the fact that I don't have to pay PST on every motorized vehicle (new or used) that I buy. So I think we are still better off, plus there is more money to be made in Alberta.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
An interesting read............but are the figures deceiving?

Since the tax came in, fuel use in B.C. has dropped by 16 per cent;

Maybe the NE and SE corner are buying so much fuel in Alberta, due to lower prices, that that makes up a majority of the 16%? Just yesterday, I bought gas in Alberta for $1.19 instead of $1.44. Filled the truck and 8 jerry cans. I buy very little fuel in BC as doo a lot of people in this corner of the province.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Or anybody close to the US border. I don't know anyone in Creston that buys their gas in BC.

Riverjet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's all smoke and mirrors. BC residents are taxed up the a$$ for everything. Some things are taxed over and over again. Having a low personal income tax rate means squat if you're getting raped for everything else.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't understand this theory "plus there is more money to be made in Alberta". IMO that depends on what you do for a living. I lived in Alberta years ago and came back to BC and make more money than I ever did in Alberta. Ever go to Vancouver and see the money there??

Because your an example of the opposite proves squat, on average Albertans make more money, meaning it easier for the average Joe to cut out a living for himself.

Yes I have seen Vancouver, and yes a select few have a pile of money, but it is not indicative of the whole. By this same theory Saudi Arabia is the richest country in the world, except for the fact that 99% of the population is dirt f@ckin poor. BTW Vancouver also has some of the poorest neighborhoods in Canada.

I'm not sure what is so hard to understand?

Riverjet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Albertans make more money due to your oil and gas based economy, for which the rest of us get raped over. A possible reason their may be so many poor hoods here?

Because your an example of the opposite proves squat, on average Albertans make more money, meaning it easier for the average Joe to cut out a living for himself.

Yes I have seen Vancouver, and yes a select few have a pile of money, but it is not indicative of the whole. By this same theory Saudi Arabia is the richest country in the world, except for the fact that 99% of the population is dirt f@ckin poor. BTW Vancouver also has some of the poorest neighborhoods in Canada.

I'm not sure what is so hard to understand?

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Albertans make more money due to your oil and gas based economy, for which the rest of us get raped over. A possible reason their may be so many poor hoods here?

I'm thinking bc isn't giving there salmon or timber away are they?

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Albertans make more money due to your oil and gas based economy, for which the rest of us get raped over.

How do you get raped over? Is it because of the BC residents that come to Alberta to make money here and then spend it back in BC helping their local economies? Or is it because of the cheaper fuel prices you see because of a local source of these products? Or is it because you're scared of a pipeline that will employ British Columbians in both the construction and maintenance/operation aspects of the project? Or is it simply just jealousy?

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking bc isn't giving there salmon or timber away are they?

And the last i heard Alberta has no control on price of gas or oil, unless you have heard otherwise? And as far as i see BC residents must like high priced petroleum products, they won't allow them to get to markets thus increasing costs. So in reality Alberta has no part in poor BC area's just a few greedy BC residents who want there fair share ! Whatever that is?

Last edited:

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I live in Bc and love it. Lived up in Fort Mac for years and that was okay but for my faimly and myself BC is better for us. and yes I do travel to Alberta and the USA for gas and other items but I wouldn't live anywhere else in my life time. I can be sledding, hunting ,fishing in 5 minutes. My campsite is 40 minutes door to door. I have a great paying secure job with a pension. What else can a sledder ask for in his life? ;)

raceu4it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
got to laugh at the comparsion of the 2 provinces regarding fuel. so you pay a $1.20 a litre for gas and spend over an hour in rush hour traffic each way, everyday in Calgary, BC resident is at work in 5 min. Most Alberta diesel guys have company cards so they don't care, BC guys don't need diesel to drag there toys over the rocks to play!! And I've seen some pretty nice shacks on the BC side of the rocks also.

somethingnuw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree riverjet! mighty painful... first they tax our income, then tax any which way we spend it, throw in some environmental taxes here and there. Bend over for the tax man :rant:

yes then in BC they let the transit system become it's own form of GOV't and they turn around and tax you to pay for vancover's transit... oh and they nail you at the pumps to pay for all of it to (at least in the LMD) lets not forget if you live down there... beside a municipal gov't you have to pay for the GVRD which is just another form of gov't... in BC your paying for layers and layers of bleeding hearts... they want your money to pay for everyone that doesn't want to work

easy to over pay people and keep building billion dollar train systems when you don't have to tighten your own belt to do it!

sorry end rant... i may be moving back ( long story) and im sofa king mad about it... i wanna snap....

Last edited:

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Any time anyone tells you that everyone is paying less after a new tax is introduced, be very wary. Governments don't introduce new taxes to make the same or less money. And the concept of a "revenue neutral" tax is absurd. What's the point? It's so hard to quantify that people just give up trying.
As for BC vs alberta, I think the people in BC other than the lower mainland get screwed. They pay high taxes that never get returned to where they're generated. Pockets of resource based industries with all the hard working folk who make them run connected by a third world road system that rarely gets upgraded. Some of the most scenic places on earth where tourists struggle to get to because of the ****ty roads, and money never flows there because not enough people can get there to spend it . Add to that the whiny tree hugging professional protesters on the coast and the dope smoking freeloaders that are nothing but a burden to the rest of BC, and the Indians that think they own the whole place.
It's too bad, it's one of the nicest places in the world that will never get to its full potential.

Top Bottom