Where to mount compressor for airbags?

Eldereldo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did some searching and found anywhere from bolted to the frame to mounted inside the cab. Recommendation on the compressor is that it be kept from heavy exposure to wet and dirt so frame seems out, thinking inside the engine compartment might be ok, maybe then to much heat? Wondering where the shops install them.

mur190

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If it's on a dodge either in the fancy little coolers in the backseat floor or under the back seat seems to be the amswer, nice happy medium for running wire and tubing, also easy to hide wires for a clean install

sledneck__11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Mounted mine up under the spare tire looked like a perfect spot on my f350. Went with a wireless controlled compressor and it is pretty slick, no wires in the cab just power up the compressor and good to go

zal

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If it's on a dodge either in the fancy little coolers in the backseat floor or under the back seat seems to be the amswer, nice happy medium for running wire and tubing, also easy to hide wires for a clean install

Thats how I did my 07. Worked real good, never had to worry about moisture. Never had heat issues as it doesn't run that much.

armascott

Armaguard
Reaction score
Mine is mounted to the frame on a Chevy 3500. I did fab up a aluminum open end box kinda thing that protects it from rocks etc.

kovs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Depends on truck. Just did a f250 diesel that I mounted up under dash. There’s zero room under hood . I’m not a fan of it being in elements - salt mud dust etc.

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My classic bodystyle dmax I mounted it to the plate under the box that comes off one of the crossmembers. I ran a hose up beside the filler neck and put the filter on the end of it. Ran like that for 6 or 7 years no problem.

Eldereldo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ended up putting it in one of the storage compartments behind a rear seat. Everything fit nice. Kind of noisy right now, but once I get the seat back in it should be ok.

Quattroman

Reaction score
Ive had my Viair 400c single compressor with 3gal tank mounted in the rear inner fender on my long box F350 for the last 3yrs on my 2014 and it was on my old f350 for 2yrs prior to that, no issues and i use it regularly for OnBoard Air and train horns. Now ive gone to dual 400c compressors and dual 7gal tanks (cuz airing up and down my 38's take forever) all mounted up where my spare tire used to be. I spend abit of time offroad and Viair stuff has held up great to being submerged a couple times and quite abit of abuse in all weather conditions

I just run a short length of hose for the little air filters so they are up high and not out in the open and they dont ever seem to get clogged. I do check and clean them if the truck has spent time in the mud and water

f7sp

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have the wireless system as well and have my compressor under the hood on the firewall but when the module is mounted beside it, it won’t work for some reason,says fail on the remote.so had to move the module outside on the frame. I’d like to have them both under the hood to keep them clean.anyone have an issue with this?

Eldereldo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is that with the motor running as well? Or just ignition on. Might be that your engine compartment is shielded so the electrical noise from the engine doesn’t affect your radio? I have noticed that my remote doesn’t seem to quite work the way the manual days it should, seems to need more presses of the Enter button than it is should, and I can’t seem to actually store and retrieve any settings. I have the ECU right by the compressor as well, but it couldn’t be much further away with the length of the cables.

YFZ 450

Reaction score
I mounted mine next to the drivers side battery, theres enogh room and i done that on all my dodges for the past 10 years still running the same unit.... Firestone works great

davelaw1982

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Mounted my 08 F350 one tucked in the front bumper, behind the grill insert. Worked great, no issues. Mounted the one for my 13 3500 dodge in the little bucket in the backseat. Took a bit to run the wires and hoses, as I was picky about not being able to see any of the hoses or wires. Mounted the pressure gauge/switch in the big part of the center console. I like it, everything is dry and out of the way. Little bit of noise from the compressor, but it only runs when needed, not on a auto level switch.

Top Bottom