Where do you keep your license plate?

cancritter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Leave it in your pack and drill 2 holes in your flap. Tell them you keep losing it and thats why its left in the pack now. That worked for me at Cataract 15 years ago. Lol.

x2...just knocked it off ...is under seat sir

Polar_RMK

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If sled not registered and insured, where one may ride it? I do understand that it is not allowed for him to ride on a public trails, but may he ride it outside trails?

Last edited:

SIRsleeper

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If sled not registered and insured, where may I ride it? I do understand that it is not allowed for me to ride on a public trails, but may I ride it outside trails?

On private property that you own... Get insurance it's cheap!!! Last thing you need is to hit a kid while ditch banging and get sued personally for $1 000 000+ then you're wage garnisheed for life! Don't be dumb. It's also a nasty fine with raised insurance premiums that follow should you get caught.

Back to topic, mine goes in the seat. If they wanted us to display it they should allow some form of custom numbering that you can airbrush on like Ontario has for all the trail sleds. You can get some pretty slick designs that actually blend into a custom wrap quite nicely. The only ugly part is the annual registration sticker which is no bigger then the sticker on your plate, and a trail permit of course.

Sent from my iPhone using

GYMBRAT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I leave mine in the garage, I carry the paper work. I have been asked for it, but I tell them that there is no mounting bracket and that I'm not going to drill holes into a 14000.00 machine. They have agreed with me. So far it has never been a issue.

Sent from my LG-E973 using Tapatalk

x2 stays new for ages

52weekbreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies. Looks like mine will go back under the seat with the registration and pink card. I think I will drill holes in the flap or "plausible deniability" (No sh*t officer - no place to put it but the flap and it keeps fallin' off of that.

BTW - $43 for $2,000,000 third party liability and accident benefits from Aviva - silly not to insure at least for that.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Actually in BC:
Owner's decal

9 Every snowmobile registered pursuant to section 7 shall have affixed to each side of its cowl, or to another conspicuous place on each side of it, an owner's decal.

So on either side of the tunnel is acceptable. I've also seen people stick them on each side in behind the front shocks as there's usually a flat enough area there. Visible when transporting....tend to be covered/blocked with snow when out riding.

http://www.bclaws.ca/EPLibraries/bclaws_new/document/ID/freeside/65_72

I stand corrected. I'm still not gonna register mine.

Joholio

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I "had" mine mounted to the snow flap on my XM. Then I hit this spectacular step up jump (that nobody saw) and poof it was gone forever. Lol! New one is under the seat with insurance papers.

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I stand corrected. I'm still not gonna register mine.

I never have. I have only ever been asked for proof of ownership and the cop just called my dealer. Small town bonus, but if your riding in larger centers, Golden, Revy ect you will probably be asked to provide the sticker. The rules or at least the enforcement seems to be pretty lax on it in N.BC......... For now anyways.

LNCHPD

Reaction score
Mine goes in my handlebar bag. For the provinces that use metal plates I don't understand how they expect us to have these plates mounted when there isn't an actual place to mount them. It would be different if there was an actual licence plate holder somewhere. I think they all should go to a decal if they want them mounted so bad.

minnow10

Reaction score
In my bag under my seat, I have been stopped a couple of times, as long as when asked your registration and insurance is good the plate becomes a non issue. and also the attitude of being approached when asked for it, they are only doing a job and need to see it. so when it is good there seems to be no trouble. Typically my sled tunnel and running boards are covered in snow and gas can and extra bags and it would not be visible anyways. And ya, I am not drilling holes in my new sleds all the time!!
No legal advise, just my opionion.

shoppingcart111

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just picked up a brocheure in whitecourt (was looking for info on the trail system) from SRD and its states that the operator has to have on them valid regi and insurance but no where does it state that you need to have a plate mounted or visible. My plates in the trunk and the paper work is in the pocket!

kbrunlees

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would like to know why Alberta hasn't gone to decal plates like other provinces, slap them both sides of the tunnel and you are done. Hard to remove without suspicion to say the least.
Each sled would have its own plate. End of story.

btcowboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Always shoved down to the bottom of my backpack. Although one year I had it in my riser bag

btcowboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would like to know why Alberta hasn't gone to decal plates like other provinces, slap them both sides of the tunnel and you are done. Hard to remove without suspicion to say the least.
Each sled would have its own plate. End of story.

Also when I moved to BC I kept the decal in my backpack too. I didn't want the ugly yellow sticker on my tunnel

matm8snopro

Reaction score
I haven't registered the sled here in BC, always carry proof of insurance and a copy of the original receipt in my backpack. Wont register till I get stopped or forced too.

Chump

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Also have mine in tunnel bag. Never personally have had any problems. As long as its insured and registered and have proof. Don't see the need when in the back country.

Top Bottom