Where are all of Canada’s used cars & trucks going?

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
July 19, 2021 by Adam Malik

Where are all of Canada’s used cars going?​

There’s a significant imbalance in the number of cars going from Canada to the United States compared to the other way around, according to recent analysis.

DesRosiers Automotive Consultants observed July 14 that with the Canadian dollar notably weaker compared to its U.S. counterpart in 2020 — the Canadian dollar sat in the mid-70 cent range for much of the year — the flow of used vehicles heavily favoured the Americans.

cars-parking-lot-300x198.jpg
In 2020, nearly 310,000 units went to the U.S. That’s compared to not even 9,000 units coming to Canada, according to DesRosiers.

There have been noted supply shortages over the last year and major price increases for used vehicles. But the flow of inventory appears to be a significant factor.

Fewer used vehicles on Canadian roads means drivers are behind the wheels of newer vehicles, which would generally require less repair and maintenance services compared to older vehicles.

With the dollar higher from 2007-2014 — when it sat near or closer to par — fewer vehicles were going to the U.S. In fact, more were coming into Canada — hitting 160,000 units in 2008, DesRosiers reported.

rgashkei

Reaction score
Two guys at my work sold their 2 year old trucks on trade, got good money for them. Dealer told him they are going to states and have the chip taken out of them to put in new vehicles to sell them. They are short chips for new vehicles, once they get caught back up then the used vehicles can be sold.

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My Ford dealer is swinging me such good deals that I’m getting all my payments back plus around seven grand a truck more than I paid. Three more super duty flips and I will get a free king ranch, platinum or Limited. The truck I’m driving now is a 2020 Limited F350 long box. It’s a numbered truck I paid 86k and I’m gonna get 95 for it when my new truck comes in August. It’s crazy the way the dollar and a shortage of trucks is working.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My Ford dealer is swinging me such good deals that I’m getting all my payments back plus around seven grand a truck more than I paid. Three more super duty flips and I will get a free king ranch, platinum or Limited. The truck I’m driving now is a 2020 Limited F350 long box. It’s a numbered truck I paid 86k and I’m gonna get 95 for it when my new truck comes in August. It’s crazy the way the dollar and a shortage of trucks is working.

Any restrictions on your new truck?? 2022 MY is looking interesting.

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Any restrictions on your new truck?? 2022 MY is looking interesting.
Not that I know of. Waiting for a chip is what I heard last. I pretty much ordered it the day I got the keys for this limited I’m driving now

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not that I know of. Waiting for a chip is what I heard last. I pretty much ordered it the day I got the keys for this limited I’m driving now

Thats taking its good ole time. Black tremor showed up in two and a half months at the local dealer.

freeflorider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My new trucks are work trucks, dont think anyone would pay much for them. I do have a 2017 dodge Laramie crew diesel dually with 30k on it, that might be something to look into.

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My new trucks are work trucks, dont think anyone would pay much for them. I do have a 2017 dodge Laramie crew diesel dually with 30k on it, that might be something to look into.
You’d get killer money for a Laramie low km diesel from the right guy

Top Bottom