What's with hoods on sledding jackets?

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Seems to me that a hood on a sledding coat serve no other purpose than to funnel snow down the back of your neck. What is with all the guys in the videos wearing them? Fashion show? Do their purses match their boots?

Wilk INStheWEST

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The hood on my TOBE jacket is removable. It doesn't so much filter snow down my neck as collect snow and wait for me to put it up after I get back to the truck, which then dumps it down my neck. But I use mine when I take off my helmet. If I remember to empty it of snow helps to keep me warmer when off my sled.

GYMBRAT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I like hoodies in case I gotta take a MEAN breaky, ham and egg/hangover chit, works awesome if ya zip/rip it off and use it as TP ;)

Last edited:

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
talk about fashion police. wear what ever you want.
Absolutely, wear what you want. I was just wondering if there was a practical reason for the hood or if it was there because all the boarders are wearing hooded jackets and they are so cool. Seems silly putting a hood on a jacket that has to fit between a backpack and your helmet, will most likely fill up with snow and dump it down your neck if there is no practical reason for it is all. Never even thought about the avy pack thing.

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
EDIT: Just thought I should also add this pointer for everyone b4 I forget!

MAKE DARN SURE YOU PULL YOUR HOOD BETWEEN YOUR LEGS PRIOR TO POOING IN THE BUSH OR IT WILL BE MORE THAN JUST SNOW BEING DUMPED DOWN YOUR BACK!
too true with the one piece suits. Buddy crapped in his winter cam pants on winter ex one year. Platoon IC made him wear them anyway. Was Fu%^ing funny. Easy to spot him from behind.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
be careful with hoods in the woods they may carry tics from the brush ya go through, tics = lime disease, that you don't ever want.

Rneddel

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wear a beaver jacket with Goggles. Stylish and no snow gets in the neck!
rytr.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom