whats the smoothest riding sled out there Gang?

kenvb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you know me little by now.. we have had our ET 250 since 82 . then i get one or two fixer uppers a yr,but after getting hit by that pickup May 2020 i cant ride the old ones..too rough..I am getting the law suit settlement soon my lawyer says..and wife says If i have to keep sledding..get something decent i dont have to work on.i started in 67 on a new 66 Olympic..had one of two since.just tired of whoppies..what do you suggest..???

Attachments

• Trudy and Corey and ET 250 in mid 80s.jpg
    Trudy and Corey and ET 250 in mid 80s.jpg
    301 KB · Views: 68

Legend14

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
4 stroke Yamaha trail sled with reverse,like a apex,pretty good suspension,and think 2012 and newer had power steering

kingcat162

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have the Cr racing m-10 skid in an old kingcat 900 with a fox float for a rear shock and man it rides so nice

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
2020 was the last year of the Rush I believe. A guy would probably have a hard time finding a used one out west, would likely have to get one out of Ontario.

@kenvb Where do you want to go with it, mostly trails and such around Whitecourt?

If its a bombing around the bush, hunting/icefishing/trapping type machine then I'm tempted to recommend a Skidoo Expedition or a Polaris Titan.

If it's a performance trail machine then maybe a Polaris Indy or Skidoo MXZ, but neither are particularly easy on the back out of the box, the suspensions are a bit stiff being built for high speed trail use.

Then there's something in the middle like a Skidoo Grandtouring or a to a lesser extent the Polaris Voyageur.

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For trails. Cheap to buy.reliable. Easy to ride and steer. You don’t even need legs. F series cat. 5 yr olds can ride them. 570 fan to a f1100 turbo.
my 75 yr old mom loves my turbo and my brothers 4 kids all have 570’s.
On my turbo whitecourt to swan and back is a easy day even not groomed.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Doo came out with the on the fly adjustable air ride suspension on the Grand Touring several years ago. That's probably the smoothest ride you'll get from factory apart from the Rush, and you can adjust it on the fly. Should be able to find a used sled with it, but will likely have to go east. Not sure if you can just buy the air ride system separately but you could look into it.

Otherwise, I'd say get something like a 144 or 151" track length which will bridge the bumps better than a short track, and spend some money on really nice long travel shocks that you can dial in for a softer ride. Whatever sled it winds up being and if you go with longer shocks, you may need to keep the sway bar in it so its not as tippy with longer shocks.

I would also suggest you get a little better carbides for any sled for just trail running. Sharper steering will mean you fight the sled less and use less energy, so your input movements will be less and keep your body in a more comfortable position consistently, meaning riding will be more enjoyable.

kenvb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yes,,trails only,i tryed the mountains once,,scared the bee jeesus out of me.. i had a nice 96 Polaris 488 touring 2 up.but wife says she wont ride much and she dies her 250 ET is good enough, we will give those to grankids.anyway.i have a friend here with 2 600 Rush Pols..will ask if can trt one if we get now this yr.

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yes,,trails only,i tryed the mountains once,,scared the bee jeesus out of me.. i had a nice 96 Polaris 488 touring 2 up.but wife says she wont ride much and she dies her 250 ET is good enough, we will give those to grankids.anyway.i have a friend here with 2 600 Rush Pols..will ask if can trt one if we get now this yr.
I’d gladly let you try a f series. I’m not brand loyal and ride anything but boys. In the last 20 years 30 years I’ve been on them all. You’d be hard-pressed to find somebody says the F series cat isn’t smooth and good handling. Also not to spendy

kenvb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i had a nice Arctic cat 660 4 stroke 3 yrs ago..quiet,rode ok.but i went off the trail and got it stuck and needed 3 guys to get it out..but should have kept it..would have run forever.

Rotax_Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Properly setup, it's difficult to get something to ride better than an Rmotion skid. Pending how much jam you are looking for, either the 600r or a 900 ACE are sweetheart motors if top end isn't your primary consideration

Top Bottom