What to do with a lemon vehicle?

LMLCHEVY

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Mileage.
Also I realize not for Albertans, but in the lower mainland, diesel is almost 20 cents cheaper than 87 and 34 cents cheaper than premium if you are running a 6.2 chev.

Opposite in Central/Southern Alberta most of the time. Right now diesel is about 15 cents more than gas.

tstams

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.crashheadz.com
Also very interested as I have a 2020 gmc 3500 and it’s been in the shop more then it’s been at home also. Dealer said it’s tough to do in Canada

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well so far I have effectively got nowhere, I can't even get GM customer care to return my call, I was supposed to get an update on my case on Tuesday. I can't even manage to talk to the person that opened our case. A manager is supposed to call us, we'll see if that happens.

As for the truck the turbo is gone again. GM doesn't have a fix for this issue other than replacing turbos and it doesn't appear a fix is coming. GM has known this is an issue since shortly after the first trucks were released in 2016 and continues to sell them regardless.

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Unless you have lots of patients and a second vehicle ?!!
Like Dan said .
Get it repaired and take your lumps and move on.
Also ,
Get on GM’s face book page and explain your experience with documents and you would be surprised how fast they respond no matter what brand ? Lol

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah that's pretty much where we are at. We do have a loaner truck and a second vehicle so that's covered for now.

What we're really trying not to do is take the huge hit on depreciation for selling it, it was bought with the intent to keep it long term averaging the depreciation over many years.

We're going to give GM a few more days to try and contact us and start to make it right, if not we'll explore other options, including AMVIP and CAMVAP. I might consider consulting a lawyer, but I'm not sure that'll gain us anything, just cost more and draw out the process.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Might be best off to just take the hit and move on. Could roll over some of the loss onto a different vehicle to spread the cost over a few years.
try not to buy another lemon though, or could get expensive. lol

Get a halfer Gas Chevy and ur good for 400,000km + if you look after it.

Crappy situation for sure, good luck.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Might be best off to just take the hit and move on. Could roll over some of the loss onto a different vehicle to spread the cost over a few years.
try not to buy another lemon though, or could get expensive. lol

Get a halfer Gas Chevy and ur good for 400,000km + if you look after it.

Crappy situation for sure, good luck.

In some ways I think your right, and I believe that's also what GM is counting on, if they make it too much of a pain for me to deal with them they think I'll walk away.

That being said if GM won't do anything for us the next vehicle won't be a GM.

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In some ways I think your right, and I believe that's also what GM is counting on, if they make it too much of a pain for me to deal with them they think I'll walk away.

Guy I worked with bought one of the first Duramax canyons and a total POS . Couldn’t fix it .
GM bought it back and sold him a 3500 Denali Dmax for a really good deal .
Just a thought but it’s the dealer also that needs to go to bat .

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Dodge half tons with the hemi are great too. 57,000km on mine without 1 issue. (take that back. Air conditioner condenser)

Toyota migh be a good choice, but Id stay away from eco boosts, mini diesels or anything with a turbo.....

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Guy I worked with bought one of the first Duramax canyons and a total POS . Couldn’t fix it .
GM bought it back and sold him a 3500 Denali Dmax for a really good deal .
Just a thought but it’s the dealer also that needs to go to bat .

I have talked about this to our salesman at the dealer and they will do what they can to make us whole if GM won't step up to the plate. So as much as I would hate to buy another GM at that point economics might make it the right choice.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Dodge half tons with the hemi are great too. 57,000km on mine without 1 issue. (take that back. Air conditioner condenser)

Toyota migh be a good choice, but Id stay away from eco boosts, mini diesels or anything with a turbo.....

Dodge is lower on my list due to dealings with work vehicles, but probably worth a look still.

I've heard good things about the 2.7 ecoboost, and my brother has the 3.5 ecoboost and really likes it. Even looking at the new 3.0 GM diesel it looks much better designed than this one, EGR after the exhaust filters so no soot in the intake, close coupled exhaust after treatment, total ground up design instead of butchering an asian market engine to meet EPA emissions. I'm not opposed to turbos or boost, they can be designed and built correctly, this mini duramax just clearly wasn't. I really want something good on fuel, with the dummy we have in Ottawa I'm thinking fuel prices are going to really start going up with carbon taxes.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Dodge is lower on my list due to dealings with work vehicles, but probably worth a look still.

I've heard good things about the 2.7 ecoboost, and my brother has the 3.5 ecoboost and really likes it. Even looking at the new 3.0 GM diesel it looks much better designed than this one, EGR after the exhaust filters so no soot in the intake, close coupled exhaust after treatment, total ground up design instead of butchering an asian market engine to meet EPA emissions. I'm not opposed to turbos or boost, they can be designed and built correctly, this mini duramax just clearly wasn't. I really want something good on fuel, with the dummy we have in Ottawa I'm thinking fuel prices are going to really start going up with carbon taxes.

Turbo is just one more thing that can fuk up if you ask me. And I think those eco boosts are junk. But good luck with what ever you decide.

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Turbo is just one more thing that can fuk up if you ask me. And I think those eco boosts are junk. But good luck with what ever you decide.

Have you owned a eco ?
On my second one and nothing for problems.
First was a 2016 and truck was a POS but the motor was awesome.
This one is a 2019 and nothing so far .

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have you owned a eco ?
On my second one and nothing for problems.
First was a 2016 and truck was a POS but the motor was awesome.
This one is a 2019 and nothing so far .

No, dont want one either. If its working for you, then right on. Let me me know if it makes it to 400,000km though :beer:

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No, dont want one either. If its working for you, then right on. Let me me know if it makes it to 400,000km though :beer:

Your option is mute then . Lol
I do know people personally that do have close to the 400k though .
Mine won’t be ran past 80k so I don’t worry about it .
Same as the 5.7 hemi worked with lots of guys that motors didn’t go past the 140k . We’re they still running ? Yep but needed complete motors replaced .
I had the 5.7 hemi in Jeep and was great . Sold it at 148 and still running great .

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Your option is mute then . Lol
I do know people personally that do have close to the 400k though .
Mine won’t be ran past 80k so I don’t worry about it .
Same as the 5.7 hemi worked with lots of guys that motors didn’t go past the 140k . We’re they still running ? Yep but needed complete motors replaced .
I had the 5.7 hemi in Jeep and was great . Sold it at 148 and still running great .

I personally know of Eco's that were total piles, so my opinion remains. Ive never had a Hemi to 400, so cant comment. But thats what our GM's routinely go to.

And the guys barely ever change the oil or take care of them. Those LS's would go a million miles if people ran the shellbourne.

ABmax turbo Canyon doesnt even last a week between turbo's and now tell him to get another one made by Ford... hahahahaha

Top Bottom