What can you guys tell me about the newer Ski-Doo 550's

vodoo103

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Upgrading sleds for teenage kids. Have an '01 summit 500 and it's a bit of a lazy dog (and will be used by my younger son next season).
The Renegade 550 sport looks like it will fit the bill on what I'm looking for, but concerned that it will be another slug.

What can everyone out there tell me about the newer 550 doos?

Not brand Loyal, just haven't looked very far yet.

trailrider

Reaction score
My wife rides an 08 mxz 550, it was a 121" but we stretched it to a 136 and put a set of pilot 6.9 ski on it. It is very lite and easy to handle never had any complaints, Iwas going to sell it and get her a 600 summit but after rideing one she would not let the 550 go so we did the mods. I have not done the gear change yet from 19-17 as recomended by doo, did not get it till after she needed the sled to ride I will wait till we take it to the mountains to see if we do the change. For a 550 it performs very well and is quite snappy even with my 230lbs on it and performs very well with the wife on it as she is about 100lbs lighter. Also very good on fuel she burns about 2/3 of the fuel my 11 800 etech burns. Trailrider

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good power and very reliable engine if treated right. Should be a keeper for you.

gotboost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have an 2013 550 mxz for my 8 year old boy too ride he came off an xc 120 and he is doing awesome sled handles great and love the electric start and reverse

barefooter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How old are the kids and what kind of riding are you doing?

I have a 550 Freestyle that I originally built for my daughter (who is now 16). She started riding it when she was 10.

for around here (Edmonton) - I will not sell the thing. Light snappy. Last forever. Don't have to worry about it overheating on her.

If you are talking mountain riding - it was good for her until she was about 12. After that - it was too wide for her to learn to carve (the Renegade and that Freestyle have the same ski stance) and underpowered.

Throughout her riding on it I put on an Attac altitude compensator (cause it was a bitch to re-jet when we got to the mts), mtn skis. real mtn bars and a 1 3/4 track upgrades to it. I finally just got her a 600 Etech Summit. In 4 months of riding that thing - I could not believe the improvement in her riding. From waiting for her all the time, she went to always being on my butt. She learned to counter-steer, sidehill and her confidence went way up from where it was before.

That 600 was just the thing for her. It has the same low and mid-range as an 800. The only thing it misses it top end to the 800. For her - being a $1.20 it was perfect. The times taht she mistakenly grabbed to much throttle it didn't scare the snot out of her. She had ridden my 800 a couple of times before I bought the 600. She was way, way more comfortable on the 600.

So I guess it depends where you are riding.

Last edited:

blastoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bought a new 550F in December for my wife, I use a 800 Summit. I use it as a second sled around home and for fishing [pull tobogan], very happy with this. I recommend it, even rode it with the boys who all had 800`s, maybe get to the end of the field 35 seconds after them. Oh and its Flickable compared to what she had before.

vodoo103

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. From the feedback here and on dootalk, sounds pretty much the same as the old 500 fan. Found a really clean 2010, 600 E-Tec summit 146 with E-start for a good price, so that made the final decision. Also allows me to sell my '07 - 800 and just use the 600 for my spare.

barefooter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. From the feedback here and on dootalk, sounds pretty much the same as the old 500 fan. Found a really clean 2010, 600 E-Tec summit 146 with E-start for a good price, so that made the final decision. Also allows me to sell my '07 - 800 and just use the 600 for my spare.

Best decision you could have made. Enjoy!!

barefooter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Make sure you get the s-36 kit for the front end of that thing. Will make an amazing difference in the handling.

Top Bottom