Western Riding

Jmill212

Reaction score
I currently live in Ontario and I’m coming to Revelstoke this winter for a tour at the Glacier House to experience mountain riding. For the guys who live in Calgary, how long of a drive is it to all the mountain riding areas? And where would be the best place to live in BC to be close to good mountain riding areas? I’d like to make the move out west and after doing some research it seems like Alberta is a lot cheaper to live compared to BC and Ontario, but BC seems like it has more to offer

tejay

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You will be sledding right from glacier house. Calgary to Revelstoke is 5 hours but roads close frequently. You should consider taking some courses on mtn riding and avalanches / having appropriate gear. Glacier House will have what you need.A guide will be necessary until you know what you are doing/ where you are going. Please don’t ride alone! The mountains sock in with clouds in a heartbeat. Revelstoke is very expensive and nothing available for rental in the winter and very little to buy because of it being a resort municipality ( ski hill) Other sledders will I’m sure chime in with other options.

Jmill212

Reaction score
You will be sledding right from glacier house. Calgary to Revelstoke is 5 hours but roads close frequently. You should consider taking some courses on mtn riding and avalanches / having appropriate gear. Glacier House will have what you need.A guide will be necessary until you know what you are doing/ where you are going. Please don’t ride alone! The mountains sock in with clouds in a heartbeat. Revelstoke is very expensive and nothing available for rental in the winter and very little to buy because of it being a resort municipality ( ski hill) Other sledders will I’m sure chime in with other options.
Oh yeah I’m well aware of the dangers of mountain riding and I’m trying to do an avalanche course before my trip for an added level of safety. I’m going solo but I asked to be put into a group of other riders for the tour. Is there much riding closer to Calgary?

struglin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
From Calgary you have multiple options
Fernie is 3 hours
Golden is 3 hours
Revy 4.5 hours
Sicamous 5 hours
Valemount 6 hours

Local mountain riding within an hour on heavy snow years

mclean

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I currently live in Ontario and I’m coming to Revelstoke this winter for a tour at the Glacier House to experience mountain riding. For the guys who live in Calgary, how long of a drive is it to all the mountain riding areas? And where would be the best place to live in BC to be close to good mountain riding areas? I’d like to make the move out west and after doing some research it seems like Alberta is a lot cheaper to live compared to BC and Ontario, but BC seems like it has more to offer

Wellllll first of all, did you vote red or blue in the last election? Haha

Jmill212

Reaction score
Blue!!! It seems like western Canada are the only ones who realize Trudeau is a total flop d*** everybody in Toronto don’t know the wars over
Im flying into Kelowna and there’s a shuttle service that will take you right to Revelstoke. I’m mainly asking if I were to move to Calgary what’s the riding situation like. Here in Ontario I’m a good 30-45 min drive to get to the trails most winters and a good winter as little as 15 mins

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It really depends on what your looking for in a town. How big? Will you be needing work? As far as cities go Calgary is pretty good in my opinion. Lots to do and if your outdoor person its relatively close to everything. If your ok with small towns I would go BC. Even from a central location you could be at most of the major areas in the same time it would take you to drive from Calgary to revi. NW BC is a different story. We 5 areas and I refuse to drive more than 1hr.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I have a son who lived in Calgary and he was fed up with the time it took and the traffic he had to manipulate to get to the outdoor recreation he loves (sledding, hiking, backcountry skiing, biking, etc.). For consistent, dependable snow, one has to get to Golden or the Crowsnest Pass/Fernie for sledding. Calgary is a great city but not that great for someone who wants to be in the backcountry in a short period of time. Like S.W..A.T. suggested, "try BC". Throughout the Okanagan, there is great opportunity for recreation and it just depends on what size of city you want to live in. I just moved to the Interior/Shuswap from the south eastern corner of the province and it took me 2 years to research all the places to live. We started looking west of Revelstoke and have ended up in Salmon Arm. If you want more information, you can send a PM.

Stg2Suby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I’m mainly asking if I were to move to Calgary what’s the riding situation like. Here in Ontario I’m a good 30-45 min drive to get to the trails most winters and a good winter as little as 15 mins

There is no mountain riding close to Calgary, the east side of the Rocky Mtns doesn't get snow like the west side and any areas that would be rideable are national park. You have to drive minimum 3 hours west to Golden or southwest toward Crowsnest Pass. There is a bit of trail riding but its still over an hour and very limited compared to what you're used to in Ontario.

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Blue!!! It seems like western Canada are the only ones who realize Trudeau is a total flop d*** everybody in Toronto don’t know the wars over
Im flying into Kelowna and there’s a shuttle service that will take you right to Revelstoke. I’m mainly asking if I were to move to Calgary what’s the riding situation like. Here in Ontario I’m a good 30-45 min drive to get to the trails most winters and a good winter as little as 15 mins
Calgary is an economic wasteland right now.
I wouldn't move here.

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You say you would like to move,.. are you moving because of job relocation, or maybe not needing to work? Either one of these for me would have a deciding factor,.. Calgary is just a place,.. there are so many other good places to live.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Calgary is 3 hours to world class riding. way better than anything in Ontario. over a million people live there and there is tons going on as far as work goes.

beautiful city, I wouldn't hesitate to move there

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Calgary is 3 hours to world class riding. way better than anything in Ontario. over a million people live there and there is tons going on as far as work goes.

beautiful city, I wouldn't hesitate to move there

We thought about relocating down that area a few years ago when I was job changing, but instead I got my retirement job up here so that changed things.

Jmill212

Reaction score
It really depends on what your looking for in a town. How big? Will you be needing work? As far as cities go Calgary is pretty good in my opinion. Lots to do and if your outdoor person its relatively close to everything. If your ok with small towns I would go BC. Even from a central location you could be at most of the major areas in the same time it would take you to drive from Calgary to revi. NW BC is a different story. We 5 areas and I refuse to drive more than 1hr.
Definitely need work, I’m 28 and I work as a heavy duty truck mechanic and there’s all kinds of jobs available in both province’s. Just looking around at house prices it’s a lot more affordable in the Okanagan valley compared to the lower mainland. What’s the riding situation like from the valley?

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Definitely need work, I’m 28 and I work as a heavy duty truck mechanic and there’s all kinds of jobs available in both province’s. Just looking around at house prices it’s a lot more affordable in the Okanagan valley compared to the lower mainland. What’s the riding situation like from the valley?

I am also a HET and a job isn't hard to find,.. it's finding a secure one with longevity.

cdnredneck_t3

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
East of the Rockies and west of the rest.

There is supposed to be a new coal mine in the crowsnest pass. Teck is an long time company also. Can chose between crowsnest, fernie, Elkford and Sparwood to live.

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Peterbilt in Houston is looking for a truck mechanic.

Can ride anywhere, I ride from my house. It has to be a really special occasion for me to actually load up. Doesn't make sense to me to live in a great place and have to drive away from it to have some fun

Top Bottom