Well Plugs

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm looking at abanoning our water well this summer. I'll rent an excavator to dig down to the pitless adaptor, cut the stem off at that point, install a plug and cover it with a steel plate. Back fill and Bob's my uncle.....
So I'm looking for a expandable well plug. My stem I/D is 6 inches or 6 & 1/8
I have been searching online for said plug, keep coming up short....
Is there a place in AB that I can purchase one from? Going to try Western Pump in the morning
Thanks

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
82c4d1a4d798f19468d86e51c55857b0.jpg

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Why are you abandoning the well? I’m pretty sure you have to pull the pump, wire and pipe out to be legal. Buddy welded a cap on his when he abandoned his but I’m not sure if that was required. You’re probably on the right track with western pump.

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Why are you abandoning the well? I’m pretty sure you have to pull the pump, wire and pipe out to be legal. Buddy welded a cap on his when he abandoned his but I’m not sure if that was required. You’re probably on the right track with western pump.
Of course I'm pulling the pump and wire. keeping the wire live and in a conduit inside my garage tent to plug in vehicles or what not.

mountianguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm looking at abanoning our water well this summer. I'll rent an excavator to dig down to the pitless adaptor, cut the stem off at that point, install a plug and cover it with a steel plate. Back fill and Bob's my uncle.....
So I'm looking for a expandable well plug. My stem I/D is 6 inches or 6 & 1/8
I have been searching online for said plug, keep coming up short....
Is there a place in AB that I can purchase one from? Going to try Western Pump in the morning
Thanks
If you go to a well driller they will have the plug in a bag you just pour in reacts with the water and seals the well off.

Zrock

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pretty sure the pipe has to be pulled and the hole back filled in for safety

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The stuff you are looking for is called Bentonite. It's essentially a pellet that is poured down the well and combines with water to form an impermeable clay plug. You should pull the pump if possible. It really depends on what your municipality requires though, some will allow normal fill to be poured down the well, others require bentonite. Some like Red Deer County actually pay homeowners up to $1000 to properly plug an old well to prevent contamination to the aquifer.

https://www.rdcounty.ca/DocumentCenter/View/3399/Safe-Water-Wells-Program

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey Trashy, Give Wild West Drilling a Call and Speak with Chris 403 860 5243. I work with them, and he can help you I'm sure. Have a marvelous day!

Top Bottom