Well I gotta take "that drive" with my little bud today

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Remember the hound I referenced in this thread? https://www.snowandmud.com/forum/76/shitzu-dogs-57698-2.html#post1308721

Well...he's had a couple of bad nights...gagging and foaming and barfing ALL NIGHT...so into the vet we go today. He has an enlarged esophagus which is collapsed and won't let him eat or drink. Surgery is iffy at his age (11)...so we have to go put him down today. Wife brought him home an hour ago...so we could yack about it, I guess...I don't want to see him gagging all night like he did last night. So he gets The Drive today. I really love this little guy...not real happy right now. The wife is a blubberin mess (I'd be lying if I said I wasn't far off)

what_next

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
aww man... always sad to put a member of the family down
i know that feeling all too well

Iron Horse Racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My thoughts and prayers will be with you....

Living on a farm, we have our own animal grave yard, where all our family pets get laid to rest, including a horse....

I can be seen talking to them as I walk by.....

sledheadrevxp

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Remember the hound I referenced in this thread? https://www.snowandmud.com/forum/76/shitzu-dogs-57698-2.html#post1308721Well...he's had a couple of bad nights...gagging and foaming and barfing ALL NIGHT...so into the vet we go today. He has an enlarged esophagus which is collapsed and won't let him eat or drink. Surgery is iffy at his age (11)...so we have to go put him down today. Wife brought him home an hour ago...so we could yack about it, I guess...I don't want to see him gagging all night like he did last night. So he gets The Drive today. I really love this little guy...not real happy right now. The wife is a blubberin mess (I'd be lying if I said I wasn't far off)
Sorry to hear that. Sucks big time when it comes to that.

KH2110

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear Dave........I've had to take 2 in this year. Non dog owners will never understand how difficult it is. :(

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Sorry to hear....... We had to put the family pet down a few years ago, and it is tough. We(wifey, kids and myself) stayed in the room with our dog until her last breath......... Was very difficult:(

eclipse1966

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Dave so sad to hear your news considering you were telling how great he was on the other thread a couple days ago. Although our little shitzu frustrates me I would be lost without her and her crapping on my carpet or her licking me to death that drives me crazy. :) I had to deal with the family cat last year and buried her which was one of the hardest things I had to do. So I feel for you!

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Truly sorry! Just remember you are his best friend for not letting him suffer! Very hard to tell yourself that but true!Again sorry for your loss.

barleyfarmer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Jesus that sucks!I'm the one that has to do the deed every time it has to be done and it sucks every time!Wife figures I have thick skin but it does get to you!But I would sooner put them out of their misery than drag it out for a couple of months!Our last dog could of had surgery and radiation(tumor on his thyroid)but my vet said I would have had a very expensive dog that I still would have had to put down in a couple months!Better to do it before he starts to suffer!

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear Dave. :(

Is it a costly surgery??...maybe worth the chance at surgery, sounds like a good little dude.
The surgery has no guarantees, plus it is very invasive...so at his age the vet didn't give it very good odds. It has been heartbreaking staying awake with him the last two nights...I can't let him hurt any more. He is gone now,,,,I am having a wine or three....maybe more,

Thanks for the understanding crew. Crazy how a little 20 lb beast can work his way into the toughest guy's heart.

Last edited:

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you sure wine will do it for ya.
its funny we all talk tough but when the rubber hits the road we are a bunch of blubbering babies lol
sad to hear man. better times ahead he doesn't need to suffer anymore.

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you sure wine will do it for ya.
its funny we all talk tough but when the rubber hits the road we are a bunch of blubbering babies lol
sad to hear man. better times ahead he doesn't need to suffer anymore.
Ya...I'll be dippin into martini zone PDQ...me and wifey pretty sad over here...

Our "pain in the ass" shnauzer (whom I secretly like...but who knew I was an animal lubber eh?) is tearrin' around wondering where her step brother is....

Last edited:

barleyfarmer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For the best.It's amazing how the damn things can cheer you up when your having a crappy day!!Actually better than the wife!!HA!HA!My outside dogs probably know more about my farm than the wife does!!Well your dog had a good run and is in a better place now,you have lots of good memories with the little fella!Still sucks !!

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya...I'll be dippin into martini zone PDQ...me and wifey pretty sad over here...

Our "pain in the ass" shnauzer (whom I secretly like...but who knew I was an animal lubber eh?) is tearrin' around wondering where her step brother is....

ya i was just going to say u think ur shnauzer was crazy before just wait....... sucks tho ...

or old deaf dog we had camping is one day going to be the same dave.... last winter i thought that was the last one ... but she keeps going somehow ....

Top Bottom