welfare

heavy d

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
New Brunswick is the first province that will require drug testing when applying for welfare (effective July 1st)! Some people are crying this is unconstitutional. How is this unconstitutional??
But yet it's okay that every WORKING person has to pass a drug test in order to support those on welfare?
Let's get Welfare back to the one's who NEED it, not those that just WANT it.

just sayin'

NosRX1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is a big step in the right direction I only hope that the rest of the provinces follow these new regulations, its about time! Speaking of which after 6 months if someone is on UI that has no injuries and is capable of work should be tested as well, because it could be that they aren't getting work due to failed drug tests.

MrHankey

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
should have to pass test every month following the prescreen test ,to keep those from staying clean for month just to get it:beer::vancouver:

Cat401

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Maybe every government employee should have to pass regular drug tests since its public money paying the wages......whether its someone on welfare or regular employment.

PUBLIC MONEY SHOULD BE SPENT RESPONSIBLY.

Last edited:

heavy d

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
looks like it's just a rumour.....................to good to be true

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Random drug testing of welfare recipients is scientifically and medically unsound:

Welfare recipients are no more likely to use drugs than the rest of the population.

According to a 1996 study by the National Institute of Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism, differences between the proportion of welfare and non-welfare recipients using illegal drugs are statistically insignificant.[2]
Before the Michigan policy was halted, only 10% of recipients tested positive for illicit drugs. Only 3% tested positive for hard drugs, such as cocaine and amphetamines[3] – rates that are in line with the drug use rates of the general population.[4]
Seventy percent of all illicit drug users (and presumably a much higher percentage of alcohol users), ages 18-49, are employed full-time.[5]

But don't let facts cloud your obviously sound judgement.........

heavy d

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's a hoax........there is no truth to this......this is not true

This is not happening in New Brunswick, or Canada for that matter, I was given the wrong info, and did not check the facts..........my bad

sorry

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
It was a bill recently passed in florida which is facing legal action...

It's a hoax........there is no truth to this......this is not true

This is not happening in New Brunswick, or Canada for that matter, I was given the wrong info, and did not check the facts..........my bad

sorry

you sure it's a hoax? I heard the same thing at work today.

buck50

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Random drug testing of welfare recipients is scientifically and medically unsound:

Welfare recipients are no more likely to use drugs than the rest of the population.

According to a 1996 study by the National Institute of Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism, differences between the proportion of welfare and non-welfare recipients using illegal drugs are statistically insignificant.[2]
Before the Michigan policy was halted, only 10% of recipients tested positive for illicit drugs. Only 3% tested positive for hard drugs, such as cocaine and amphetamines[3] – rates that are in line with the drug use rates of the general population.[4]
Seventy percent of all illicit drug users (and presumably a much higher percentage of alcohol users), ages 18-49, are employed full-time.[5]

But don't let facts cloud your obviously sound judgement.........
IF it was true(which it is in florida), who cares if it the same rate as working people. if you are getting FREE money, you need to have some sort of requirements, other than not wanting to work. if you don't do drugs, it won't be a problem. if a working stiff does the drugs, well, at least he's paying for them with his own money, not ours

Top Bottom