Welding A Can?

NoBrakes!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have found with carbon steel exhaust that you just start chasing the cracks around after they start.

team dirt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledseymourarm.ca
Can an MBRP Trail Can be welded? My sons is cracked in a couple of spots on the top!
Is it on an xm? I’m about to weld mine up here soon. Don’t see why you can’t. It’s just the bracket on mine that goes to the frame by the recoil. Spring pulling down on it over the years and something has to give.

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Stainless can? I can tig it if you want.

how do you deal with the oily carbon residue in the can? doesn't it affect your weld integrity? Reason I ask is I attempted to weld the y pipe on my GMC diesel and failed miserably.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
how do you deal with the oily carbon residue in the can? doesn't it affect your weld integrity? Reason I ask is I attempted to weld the y pipe on my GMC diesel and failed miserably.

That’s the biggest issue. I personally would drill holes at the end of the cracks to stop them from spreading. Heat it up to burn as much as you can off. Then just lightly prep it and weld on the cold side so you don’t burn through and suck that stuff into the weld.

team dirt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledseymourarm.ca
Is it on an xm? I’m about to weld mine up here soon. Don’t see why you can’t. It’s just the bracket on mine that goes to the frame by the recoil. Spring pulling down on it over the years and something has to give.
welded mine just fine. Fill the can with argon while welding. Keeps the weld cleaner.
D4D1D34B-3686-4BB2-841D-1CC0DD42BD33.png

Top Bottom