Weatherby 270

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anybody have a Weatherby 270 RC.
Looking at picking one up but would like to know any past experiences and if they are as accurate as advertised - sub MOA. Will be a Mark V, synthetic, 26" fluted SS.

Optics will be a Leupold 3-18 Vari X 6.

cedarpoint

Reaction score
awesome riffle good scope very accurate also if you hand load 110 gr v-max wc 71.7 gr h4831 powder very accurate awesome wolf gun love mine

dogsmack

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
awesome riffle good scope very accurate also if you hand load 110 gr v-max wc 71.7 gr h4831 powder very accurate awesome wolf gun love mine

At 71.7 gr of h4831 that has to be blistering close to max charge or over??

I just want to point out what works for one rifle might not work on another and always be sure to reference reloading manuals before taking someone elses advice. Sounds like the rifle you are looking at is worth the purchase and reloading is your ticket to having a rifle for anything from wolves (excessive IMO) with a 100 gr bullet up to Elk and Big Horn using a 150gr bullet. I can't say I'd every buy a weatherby but always admire there ability to achieve the higher end of the velocities within bullet weights and calibers. The 270 cal is a tested caliber as well.

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
At 71.7 gr of h4831 that has to be blistering close to max charge or over??

I just want to point out what works for one rifle might not work on another and always be sure to reference reloading manuals before taking someone elses advice. Sounds like the rifle you are looking at is worth the purchase and reloading is your ticket to having a rifle for anything from wolves (excessive IMO) with a 100 gr bullet up to Elk and Big Horn using a 150gr bullet. I can't say I'd every buy a weatherby but always admire there ability to achieve the higher end of the velocities within bullet weights and calibers. The 270 cal is a tested caliber as well.

Been about 15 years since i was handloading last, may get into it again as I get older.
Always wanted a Weatherby just because of their reputation. The 270 Weatherby (140g at 3250FPS) will fit between my 6mm (100g at 3235 FPS) and my 300 Ultra (180g at 3250) with factory loads.
The only downside is $89 a box whch is more than my 300 Ultra but it's just money and I don't shoot that much. Ultra is two years old and only about 200 rounds through it.
Thanks for the replys.

dogsmack

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The beauty of reloading is once established the cost of ammo is seriously reduced. Be sure to post a pic or two once you get it. You're right it is only money and you can make more of it tomorrow.

CamoKVF700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't have any Experience with the weatherby 270 but I've put lots of rounds down range with the weatherby .257 and I know that's a fricken laser beam of a cartridge.

X2

257 is a great caliber. It can be a little short on knock down power with elk but only cause they are so tough. Moose are no issue. Lol

I use a 300 Weatherby mag for deer to Elk. Using a 150 grain Barnes X Triple shock and 78 grains of H4350 powder the real world measured muzzle velocity is 3440 out of my rifle. I have yet to shoot an elk twice. ;) Placement counts a little lol.

Sent while wishing I was on my snowbike

kakwa climber

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I likes 257. Fun to shoot but like camo says light on knock down power. My next purchase will be a 30-338 weatherby mag.

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The 270 is a great round, I've been out of the reload game for awhile now. But if I recall the 257 is flatter. I remember wanting one of these but never did. Ether round you can't go wrong depending on what your hunting.

As for reloading I never found reloading to be cheaper... Ever! By the time you buy all the stuff, try out six different bullets, three different powders, 2 different weights of bullets the brass on top of that. Then start playing with bullet depth, different primers etc. It's a hobby not a saving! IMO

sumx54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca
As for reloading I never found reloading to be cheaper... Ever! By the time you buy all the stuff, try out six different bullets, three different powders, 2 different weights of bullets the brass on top of that. Then start playing with bullet depth, different primers etc. It's a hobby not a saving! IMO
Don't forget about the tumblers, ultrasonic cleaners, benches, cabinets, boxes, lubricants, digital calipers and all the other related tools. It's not cheaper but it's fun and accurate.

CamoKVF700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For me to buy a box of bullets for my 300 WTHBY, it's about 5 dollars a round. And that's not the bullet or specs I want. To load it averages about 4 dollars a round to get exactly what I want. It's not really a hobby and it takes a long freakin time. I take no short cuts and my powder is measured to exact grains using a scale and a filed spoon to pick up one grain at a time. But I suffer through it and put up with the sore back and feet to get the accuracy I want.

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Don't forget about the tumblers, ultrasonic cleaners, benches, cabinets, boxes, lubricants, digital calipers and all the other related tools. It's not cheaper but it's fun and accurate.

Dig scales and chronograph with printout...Yup that's my point it is fun but no way cheaper, for me anyway. I could have blasted 1000's store bought bullets for the money I spent on reloading. Realistically some.. Not all bullet manufactures have tightened up their specs a lot. I've had consistent 1.5 groups at 200 with store brand so ether way they both get the job done.
I used to shoot a box a night reload different depth just to see if there was a difference! Even made a wet phone book stack to see bullet depth travel and weight loss. It was fun on the acreage.

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For me to buy a box of bullets for my 300 WTHBY, it's about 5 dollars a round. And that's not the bullet or specs I want. To load it averages about 4 dollars a round to get exactly what I want. It's not really a hobby and it takes a long freakin time. I take no short cuts and my powder is measured to exact grains using a scale and a filed spoon to pick up one grain at a time. But I suffer through it and put up with the sore back and feet to get the accuracy I want.

My 338 lupua was $9 a bullet ... Reloaded!...plus band aids for your eyebrow!

CamoKVF700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I hear yeah LOL!

I've needed a few myself trying to relax before the shot. Ha ha. Dummy.

At the range we have a 300m target which is roughly 350 yards. We'll bet and I can hit the 6" gong 10 out of 10 with the 22-250. Tried it with the 300... let's just say towards 5-7 the old shoulder was crying a bit and threw off the concentration. Lol.

I love shooting.

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
4-12 month estimated delivery time on the 270 - anybody see one on the rack in their local shop???

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Which model weatherby? They had a vangaurd at Canadian tire here in drayton valley but can't remember if it is 270 or 300 can check and post back later today

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Which model weatherby? They had a vangaurd at Canadian tire here in drayton valley but can't remember if it is 270 or 300 can check and post back later today

Mark V with SS fluted barrell and synthetic stock in 270RC, not the most common Weatherby. Lots of Vanguards butnot what I am looking for.

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yep it was a vangaurd
Good luck in your search

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yep it was a vangaurd
Good luck in your search

Nothing on the net so just going to order one from P&D and wait the 4-12 months to get what I want not what's available, will be worth the wait. Gives me time to explain to wify WTF I need another gun for.
The gun safe holds 24 and I only have 19 is where I will start from.LOL

Top Bottom