VW

JMCX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Any TDI owners on here?

It's funny listening to all the talk on the radio. Some of the 'experts' are so clueless on the clean diesel subject. There's no doubt the lawyers are salivating.

If they come out with a fix I foresee many owners saying 'no way are you going to wreck my mileage' I'll pass. But of course that will be impossible.

I think most people bought these for the awesome economy first not because they thought daiseys came out the tail pipe.

doorfx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They could be facing twice that in fines according to the news last night. I wonder if they are the only ones ? Ferrari, Lamborghini , pretty amazing that they meet emissions standards.

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If VW can't make a small clean efficient diesel that makes good power then who can? Not like we are talking about Lada or someone.

gibsons

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We have a 2014 Touareg TdI. Unit works fine the way it is, so I couldn't see any need to bring it in over this.

JMCX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think for marketing reasons they were determined to do it without DEF and when they couldn't have their cake and eat it too they cheated.

Really surprised such a big company would think they would never get caught.

On the CBC last night they were trying to explain it as a NOx filter on the exhaust that VW was just turning off. Haha

firstdoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've been a VW guy for years. Love my TDI's (I'm on my 3rd one now) There is no way that I will allow VW to change my set up at all. No matter what fix they come out with it will cost me in the long run by either decreased fuel economy or the dreaded maintenance that will be required on the exhaust system due to changes.

That being said, I wonder how long it will be before VW will be allowed to sell the TDI again. For those of you that don't know, VW could not pass California emission tests from 2007-2008 which is why there is no 2007 to 2008 TDI's on the road in North America. What I think should happen is the entire car industry should pull out of California and refuse to see there product in that state. VW has worked extremely hard to produce a fuel efficient vehicle that no one can come close to and I feel for the customers that were in the process of purchasing one that had there deal pulled out under their feet.

The only positive that can come from this is current owners may see there resale value take a huge jump up. Not sure if you will see to many on the market and those that are might be pulled. I know every time I've sold one I was cause I was in the market for another TDI. Hard to sell when it can't be replaced.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
There is a local class action suit for $1billin in progress.... Rumoured that vw could be buying cars back in severe states and provinces like california, ontario, quebec, bc.... Vw will be fined $39500 for each vehicle not within spec, and the owners will be fined $3790 ... More to come :)

BERLIN - Volkswagen AG said a scandal over falsified U.S. vehicle emission tests could affect 11 million of its cars around the globe as investigations of its diesel models multiplied, heaping fresh pressure on CEO Martin Winterkorn.
The world's largest automaker said it would set aside 6.5 billion euros ($7.3 billion) in its third-quarter accounts to help cover the costs of the biggest scandal in its 78-year-history, blowing a hole in analysts' profit forecasts.
It also warned that amount could rise, saying diesel cars with so-called Type EA 189 engines built into Volkswagen models worldwide had shown a "noticeable deviation" in emission levels between testing and road use.
The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) said on Friday Volkswagen could face penalties of up to $18 billion for cheating emissions tests. In addition, the U.S. Justice Department has launched a criminal probe, a source familiar with the matter said.
The investigation is likely to examine not only possible violations of the Clean Air Act but also of broader statutes against wire fraud, false statements to regulators and other crimes, former prosecutors not involved with the investigation said. A Justice Department spokesman declined to comment.
New York and other state attorneys general are also forming a group to investigate, New York Attorney General Eric Schneiderman said.
"No company should be allowed to evade our environmental laws or promise consumers a fake bill of goods," Schneiderman said in a statement.
The crisis has sent shockwaves through Germany, with Chancellor Angela Merkel calling for "complete transparency" from a company seen as a symbol of the country's engineering excellence.
Winterkorn was due to have his contract extended at a supervisory board meeting on Friday but is now facing questions about whether he knew about the use of software that deceived U.S. regulators measuring toxic emissions in some of its diesel cars.
"Winterkorn either knew of proceedings in the U.S. or it was not reported to him," Evercore ISI analyst Arndt Ellinghorst said. "In the first instance, he must step down immediately. In the second, one needs to ask why such a far-reaching violation was not reported to the top, and then things will get tough, too."
Volkswagen's executive committee plans to meet on Wednesday to discuss the emissions test scandal and the agenda of a full board meeting long scheduled for Friday, sources familiar with the plans said.
A story in the Tagesspiegel newspaper, denied by Volkswagen, said the board would replace the 68-year-old Winterkorn with Matthias Mueller, the head of the automaker's Porsche sports car business.
Winterkorn did not mention his future in a video message posted on the company's website in which he repeated his apology for the scandal.
Volkswagen stock tumbled another 20 percent to a four-year low on Tuesday after some countries in Europe and Asia said they would launch investigations themselves. Its preference shares ended down 19.7 percent at 106 euros.
At the lowest point, the declines in the preference and ordinary shares wiped more than $30 billion off VW's market value.
Volkswagen was challenged by authorities as far back as 2014 over tests showing emissions exceeded California state and U.S. federal limits but held off on admitting wrongdoing until regulators threatened to withhold certification for its 2016 diesel models.
In the United States, where diesel vehicles make up much less of the market than in Europe, Volkswagen is a dominant player in the segment, accounting for about one fifth of diesel light vehicles sold last year, according to auto industry consultant LMC Automotive.
Ward's Auto, another consultant and publisher, said diesel vehicles made up 2.6 percent of the U.S. new car market so far this year, compared with 2.3 percent for electric-gasoline hybrid vehicles, also known for superior fuel efficiency.
Volkswagen has spent $77 million so far this year on U.S. TV commercials lauding its "clean diesel" cars, out of $164 million budgeted for advertising thus far overall, according to iSpot.tv, a Bellevue, Washington-based company that tracks TV ads.
Volkswagen has not decided whether to pull its ads, a spokeswoman said.
'TOTALLY SCREWED UP'
Winterkorn has built Volkswagen into one of the world's top-selling brands since he took the helm in 2007, with brands ranging from budget Seats and Skodas to premium Audis and top-end Lamborghinis and Bugattis.
But he has also faced criticism for a centralised management style that some analysts say hampered the company's efforts to address long-standing underperformance in North America.
Workers in Wolfsburg, where Volkswagen employs over 50,000 people, were dismayed by the damage to the company's image.
"If Winterkorn knew of the manipulation, then he must go," said one staffer who works in human resources at the plant.
There have been no suggestions so far that other carmakers have engaged in the same practices as Volkswagen. Germany's BMW and Daimler have said the accusations against Volkswagen did not apply to them.
But shares in those companies as well as rivals including Peugeot, Renault and Fiat Chrysler fell on Tuesday amid signs regulators across the world will step up scrutiny of vehicle tests, which environmentalists have long criticised for exaggerating fuel-saving and emissions results.
The EPA said on Monday it would widen its investigation to other automakers, and French Finance Minister Michel Sapin said on Tuesday an EU-wide inquiry was needed too.
Canada's environmental agency said on Tuesday it is investigating some 100,000 Volkswagen and Audi 2009-2015 model diesel cars sold there, and is in contact with its counterparts in the U.S. EPA and Volkswagen's Canadian unit. It said the maximum fine for a potential breach of Canadian environmental law was C$6 million per offence for corporations.
California also said it was extending testing of VW vehicles from two-liter engines to cars with six-cylinder three-liter engines.
Germany's Transport Ministry said it would send an investigative commission to study whether cars built at Volkswagen's headquarters complied with German and European emissions guidelines. Italy asked VW to prove the cars sold in that country do not contain the "defeat devices" at the centre of the scandal, while Switzerland also said it would investigate Volkswagen's diesel vehicle emissions tests.
The European Commission said it was in contact with Volkswagen and U.S. authorities, and it was premature to say whether specific checks on the carmaker's vehicles were needed.
In Asia, South Korea's environment ministry said it would investigate 4,000 to 5,000 of Volkswagen's Jetta, Golf and Audi A3 vehicles produced in 2014 and 2015, and it could expand its probe to all German diesel cars if it found problems.

Last edited:

Cat401

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There is a local class action suit for $1m in progress.... Rumoured that vw could be buying cars back in severe states and provinces like california, ontario, quebec, bc.... Vw will be fined $39500 for each vehicle not within spec, and the owners will be fined $3790 ... More to come :)

Billion dollar class-lawsuit just filed in Edmonton against VW Canada....many more to come

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
An Edmonton law firm has launched a $1-billion class action lawsuit against Volkswagen Canada, alleging diesel vehicles sold and leased in the country were equipped with so-called “defeat devices” to evade emissions control standards.
The allegations were first made by the Environmental Protection Agency in the United States last Friday. The EPA said Volkswagen officials have admitted installing the “defeat devices.” Volkswagen AG CEO Martin Winterkorn on Monday apologized for his company’s actions and ordered an internal probe, then resigned on Wednesday, saying “Above all, I am stunned that misconduct on such a scale was possible in the Volkswagen Group.”
The suit was filed Tuesday in Edmonton Court of Queen’s Bench on behalf of all current owners and lessees of the affected vehicles in Canada. Those models are the 2009-2015 Jetta, 2009-2015 Beetle, 2009-2015 VW Golf, the 2014-2015 Passat and the 2009-2015 Audi A3.
The suit’s representative plaintiff is listed as Alberta resident Marlie deMontigny, who leased a new 2015 Volkswagen Golf in Alberta. In an email, she told the Journal she will not be making any comments and referred all inquiries to her lawyer, Rick Mallett of James H. Brown & Associates.
Advertisement

The statement of claim and the EPA alleges that Volkswagen installed “illegal and sophisticated software” in the vehicles that turned on the emissions controls only during official testing and suppressed the controls at all other times, allowing for the emission of nitrogen oxides (NOx) and other pollutants at levels up to 40 times the allowable standard in Canada and the United States.
The EPA said the devices were installed on 482,000 cars in the U.S. Mallett said he is combing through sales figures to determine how many affected vehicles were sold or leased in Canada.
“It’s going to be hundreds of thousands,” he said. Volkswagen Canada said more than 100,000 of the affected models were sold in Canada.
Mallett said he didn’t expect Volkswagen to make excuses for what has been alleged by the EPA and outlined in the statement of claim.
“Unknown to the plaintiff, the vehicle was equipped with an emissions control “Defeat Device” which caused the vehicle to pass emissions tests, but at all other times emit multiple times the allowed level of pollutants, including NOx,” the suit alleges.
“Had Volkswagen disclosed that the Affected Vehicles actually emitted multiple times the permitted levels of pollutants, including NOx, the Plaintiff and Class would not have purchased or leased Affected Vehicles, or would have paid considerably far less money.”
The suit alleges Volkswagen Canada were negligent, committed fraud, deceit and breached duties of care to the plaintiff and class. It claims $1 billion in damages for diminished value of the affected vehicles; mental distress, humiliation and frustration; rental and other expenses incurred during attempted repairs; reduced vehicle performance and operation; out of pocket expenses; refund of the premium paid for affected vehicles; punitive damages and costs.
“It’s a really interesting case,” said Mallett. “There are a lot of angry and upset people. They thought they bought a great car, one that’s good for the environment, and it turns out that’s not the case.”
He is aware of one other lawsuit in Ontario, and expects more actions to be filed.
dbarnes@edmontonjournal.com
twitter.com/jrnlbarnes

firstdoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I hope not. It is an amazing brand with an amazing product. This is nothing compared to the GM ignition scandal that cost hundreds of people their lives and the thousands of others that were injured.

X-Treme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.robinsautomotive.ca
are you suggesting that the lie's and fraudulent manipulations to data by VW so they can sell more cars was ok???

They need to get their ass kicked big time!

They totally do!! But, mental distress?!?!? Come on!! That's just a case of a lawyer seeing dollar signs ONLY. They wanted to be the first in line for a pay day.

Cat401

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Chit goes south quick the second a blood sucking lawyer gets their hands on it. $1 billion because of "mental distress"?

I am not advocating for the lawyers....sure there is stress over this....

1) how many people around the world bought a "clean burning diesel" because of what they read?.....mental stress

2)how many competitive dealers lost sales over the years because their products could not compete with that false data?......mental stress

3)the trade in value's for these are going to take a massive dive.....would that cause stress if you were one of those owners?......mental stress

the lawyers are going to have a hayday on this one.

too many of these big corporations think they can get away with bs like this and the losers are always the consumer....

kind of like the peanut butter CEO (can't remember the name of the company) who purposely ordered the shipping of salmonella infected product...people died....he got 28 years....not enough in my books.

these ****tards who think its ok to maniplulate us and purposely put us and our families into potential harm deserve every damn thing we can throw at them when they get caught.

Last edited:

mxracer14

Reaction score
There is a local class action suit for $1billin in progress.... Rumoured that vw could be buying cars back in severe states and provinces like california, ontario, quebec, bc.... Vw will be fined $39500 for each vehicle not within spec, and the owners will be fined $3790 ... More to come :)

QUOTE]

The owner will be fined?? That's ridiculous.

Top Bottom