Valemount Search and Rescue saved us

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Skegpro, snowpro, CJD - thank you for all the info. This is EXACTLY why I joined this site. If you don’t have a community of people doing the same things, you end up buying “off the shelf” type gear. I appreciate all the info.

I would love love to take a survival course if there is such a thing. I’m not bad in the bush, but I would have done a lot of things different. Never thought of a candle and a gunny sack. That would have left some energy to walk out the next morning! It’s really easy to sit in my warm house and think of what I would have done different. Half the battle in any emergency is managing the panic! You don’t think and do right, when your panicked.

I always say YOU DONT KNOW, TILL YOU KNOW, YA KNOW. Lol.
100%.
And anyone that's says it can't happen to them is in for a surprise.

Need the knowledge and the gear.

Travco28

Reaction score
Glad this story has a happy ending. A compact Down jacket is realy nice to have with you and takes up no more room then a pop can.

Goliath

Reaction score
My wife may make me pull a toboggan full of goodies now lol. The 850 should handle it!

All jokes aside, there is some different gear going in my avi pack and sled bag for sure! All your suggestions are GOLD! Thank you all!

Goliath

Reaction score
Couple things that HELPED A TON- muff pot to melt snow for water was awesome! Warm water was like 18 year old scotch out there!
Marino wool base layer was awesome!
My KLIM boots were dry even falling into MANY creeks. KLIM mono suit kept the wind off of me, kept me dry!
Belaclava with the nose piece came In ultra handy. Put the breath deflector down the neck of my mono suit and it helped keep warmer and keep the smoke from the fire out of my lungs. Wet wood= a lot of smoke! The smoke can dehydrate you and take more energy breathing and making water to quench the thirst.

Yes, happy to be out of there in one piece! Thank you for all the suggestions and to all that helped!

CJD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey Curtis it’s chad where did you pick up your radio in Edmonton area ?
Hey chad, I ordered mine from BC. I ordered extra to qualify for the discount. I have for sure one maybe 2 extras still brand new in box. I told Craig he could take the one and I will check if I have a second. If so you can take that one. They were 170 but I bought 5 to get the 20 dollar discount. With the intent to sell the extras to buddies for 150.

Alphabrite

Reaction score
Perfect let me know if it wasn’t for that radio I would have never got In Contact with Craig and Aaron so for me a must

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Couple things that HELPED A TON- muff pot to melt snow for water was awesome! Warm water was like 18 year old scotch out there!
Marino wool base layer was awesome!
My KLIM boots were dry even falling into MANY creeks. KLIM mono suit kept the wind off of me, kept me dry!
Belaclava with the nose piece came In ultra handy. Put the breath deflector down the neck of my mono suit and it helped keep warmer and keep the smoke from the fire out of my lungs. Wet wood= a lot of smoke! The smoke can dehydrate you and take more energy breathing and making water to quench the thirst.

Yes, happy to be out of there in one piece! Thank you for all the suggestions and to all that helped!

this may have helped? easy to make, easy to carry, still going to be a long night, but it may dry your clothes as well as heat you up. use candles or i have seen a alcohol trangia stove adapted. the alcohol will also absorb water in gas if ever needed. u can melt snow for water with the alcohol burner as well

called a Palmer Furnace.

https://youtu.be/rGoaaRrlf8Q

some snoweshoes that could be made from branches, if you had walk out.

https://youtu.be/kQA4bsU_G7w

Last edited:

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
this week would be a good time to try different things out with the equipment you carry now. best to find out at home what works , than facing life or death situations when there is no room for error.

Goliath

Reaction score
Very good videos! Would never have thought of that and it would have made life ALOT easier staying warm. Im going to try that out at home in the next couple weeks. Your right, it can happen to anyone and there is zero room for eror out there. Thanks

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Very good videos! Would never have thought of that and it would have made life ALOT easier staying warm. Im going to try that out at home in the next couple weeks. Your right, it can happen to anyone and there is zero room for eror out there. Thanks

yup i started searching a couple years ago, came across a couple skiers way back in silent pass many miles out. their sled had died, they were 30 miles or more back from trail. they were lucky my BIL and I came across them on our way out at dusk. towed them to the parking lot, we were the last vehicle there. they had nothing dead sled, on skies and one bottle of water, would have froze to death out there.

Princess auto sells a survival blanket poncho, that is already formed to cover u and a neck hole for your face. with a few tea lights, you can warm up, wait out a storm, or make it through the night. snow shoes may be difficult to construct, just nowhere near as bad as walking on foot in chest deep powder snow.

Last edited:

Tchetek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Top Bottom