utv cages

mountianguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
First post here love the site. I have been looking at utvs and was leaning toward the Ranger mainly because it has seating for three. But after looking at the cage on that unit i was not impressed as it looks way to weak, so i started looking in to other units long story short the Terex is the only one i can find that calls it a ROPS is this true or do Polaris ,A/C and Yamaha just not call it that? Thank You to all that reply.

Web Mobile

Reaction score
ROPS = Roll Over Protection System. On Heavy Equipment, it must be certified to carry the weight of the equipment in order to protect the opertator in case of rollover.

Snowdin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
OK. I have not heard that term before. Not sure if the other manufacturers call it ROPS now or not. You would think that the system would have to engineered and be able to withstand a roll over on all of them.

mountianguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree but i know that A/C states that theres is not a ROPS but it looks a lot stronger than Polaris or Yamaha. A friend of mine has a 1000 A/C and he says his has a sticker on the cage says it is not a rops.

Snowdin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree but i know that A/C states that theres is not a ROPS but it looks a lot stronger than Polaris or Yamaha. A friend of mine has a 1000 A/C and he says his has a sticker on the cage says it is not a rops.

Hmm so that sorta like an admission of guilt I wonder? I actually haven't looked very close at the cages on all the diff. sxs units. I know the cage on my Rhino looks beefy.

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya it has to have a plate riveted on that says, certified ROPS and they usually have a serial number or DOT approval. The only one I know of right now that is a certified ROPs is on the Kubota RTV 900/1100 and 500, others might have updated but I haven't looked in a about a year or so.

Someone posted on a board somewhere pictures of their new teryx that did one roll forward, cage crushed right in with injury's to both occupants,.. i'll see if I can find it. If a person is looking at a ROPS structure, most likeyl better to buy a certified aftermarket one.

mountianguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I didnt look at them either untill i read that the Terex had a ROPS so i thought the rest must to. Kind of gives you a false sense of security if they are not. As for strength i thought the A/C looks stronger because of the x on the roof and back something the Ranger does not have. Also the a/c is made from rectangle tubing instesd of pipe dont know if it is stronger just a difference. I dont plan on rolling the unit but when offroading things can happen and often do.

mudboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yamaha does not and will not call theirs a roll cage. If you read all the information and fine print, they always refer to it as an ACCESSORY rack to attach stuff to. It is in no way considered a roll bar/cage.

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here is the LINK to the 5mph rollover of the Teryx, the red one below is the Teryx

Here is a different one

Roll1Small.jpg

Snowdin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow that's kinda scary seeing those roll bars bend like that. I guess it does kinda give you a false sense of security. I watched a Youtube of a Rhino that rolled while doing some rock climbing in the Utah mountains and all held together. I just never gave it another thought that those bars might not hold up again.

I suppose that will be the next thing the ambulance chasing dirtbags...I mean lawyers will be suing for.

catzuki

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Seen a rhino roll this weekend and it did the same thing. I think the only way to make them a proper cage, a guy has to brace the cage in the right place. I know i wouldnt trust mine but i know my limits on any bike. I would personally install a 4 seater cage and add another brace to the front were the cage bends towards the top. O better yet, a guy could get a full Cage built by a shop that specializes in that kind of stuff.

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Seen a rhino roll this weekend and it did the same thing. I think the only way to make them a proper cage, a guy has to brace the cage in the right place. I know i wouldnt trust mine but i know my limits on any bike. I would personally install a 4 seater cage and add another brace to the front were the cage bends towards the top. O better yet, a guy could get a full Cage built by a shop that specializes in that kind of stuff.

Theres a fab shop in Winnipeg I believe that makes them for the Rhino, but he doesn't list a price.

If you notice in the previous pictures I posted, the rear corners don't have supports like the Rhino's do,.. hopefully they give a little better strength.

mountianguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I guess i have my answer but i dont like it. I would expect this poor manufacturing from the knock off ones but not from OEMS.Guess i will have to rethink my purchase.

Reaction score
As a local dealer I sell both the Ranger and the Teryx. The teryx is certified rops and the Ranger is not. Based on the picture of a cage rolling at 5 miles per hour I would be very suspect, I see this all the time where the cage just bends itself and really the machine was standing still? If you are to have a slow speed roll over the cage will likely bend in certain spots but I have also rolled and seen nothing happen, there are alot of variables. You can get a race cage but don't be afraid to spend $$$$

ttpowersports

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ya ouch!! those pictures look pretty bad, iv had my prowlers and rhino rentals, get rolled, bent the prowler cage but it did not collapse and the rhino just got scratched, but there are always a lot of variables in these situations what did it roll on, did it hit anything, how many times it rolled over.... etc.

I think the manufactures do use "do diligence" in making the "_____" cage, supports or what ever you want to refer to it as. I am sure there are alot of tests done, wheather or not they want to admit it. Due to obvious liability reasons, calling it a roll bar admits it is made to roll, like a bumper is made to bump... and given the law suits the Yamaha is taking up the hoop lately by brain dead( oops outside voice) people who should be limited to tricycles ( and would still manage to hurt them selves) I think we are going to see more cautious advancements in the utv industry. Unfortunately its once again the few the wreck it for the many....

just my opinion....

I heard it already cost yam canada over 6 million for the latest recall and we dont have the replacement parts yet. and currently have a :no sale: deal on which means we can not sell a rhino even if we wanted to......

back to the subject, there are a lot of manufacturers of the cages in the aftermarket world, the ones we have sold range from 1299- 3200, i havent seen any yet that are ROPS certified.... but is your quad? I thought the "bars" over the cabs were just extra protection designed to HELP the users just like the SEATBELTS and the WARNING LABELS placed all over the dash and in the manuals......

T.

Silhouette

Reaction score
I suspect that if the cage were listed as a R.O.P.S. cage the manufacturers would be liable for any unfortunate issues, they are way better off claiming the cage as not a roll bar or cage even if it is actually designed strong enough to qualify. Easy protection against the opportunists out there. I trust my rhino cage for my driving(i've installed 5 point harnesses to help out).

mountianguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think if the manufactures were using do diligence they would be ROPS certified. Being ROPS certified does not mean its ment to roll it means it will withstand a rollover still might bend but should not colapse. Getting the ROPS stamp would probably stop the law suits [ok slow them down] because it shows the OEM did there part to protect the operator and passanger. if these people that do this suing want to proceed then they would being going after SAE as they certify these ROPS. When i asked this original question i never thought we would end up here. I wanted something safe to take my wife and six year old out with an have family fun. I believe these utv are as safe as the driver and i am not really concerned but as i stated earlier these are off road machines and things can happen and sometimes do.

:d:d

ttpowersports

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
this may be true.BUT seen as how all the lawsuits we are hearing about are on Yamaha Rhinos, i have never heard or seen any information saying the bar/roof/roll bar/cage/ bent or colapsed , but they still get sued, so i agree with you that responsibility should be on the driver, or owner who allows others, skilled or not, to drive the unit. because even if the "roll bars" were ROPS the unit still rolled and the lawsuits were because the driver/passenger or part of them fell out/stuck out. in the roll and got hurt/damaged. etc.

so even after they put doors on everyone built,or offered free doors, now there getting sued because apparently after 5yrs they are now to narrow and are tipping over at low speeds. Which i doubt can happen unless you are on a hill or jerk the wheel...

Yes im a dealer we sell Yamaha and Arctic Cat side by sides, and we rent them so i know what can and does happen and usually how it happens.

Feel free to ask any questions you may have , i would be glad to give you my thoughts and honest opinions.

T
:d:d

Top Bottom