Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Previous 1
Next
From P to LT: upgrading your truck tires

What you need to know about moving your truck from Passenger to Light Truck rubber
June 29, 2012, by

Previous Next

Previous Next

Previous

Next

V

View
more photos »

You've just bought yourself a new light-duty pickup truck. New or used, domestic or import, it does not matter. What does is that it has the V8 engine, acres of chrome and a heavy-duty trailering kit. But those tires? Blah. They're the same rubbers that are on your neighbour's Honda Civic.

Obviously, we're exaggerating here, but upgrading the tires on a truck (or SUV or full-size van) is fairly common practice in Canada: removing the 'P' or Passenger-rated tires and moving up to an LT or 'Light Truck' set. It's a change usually spurred on by a need to maximize your truck's capability - or simply for better asthetics. Here's what you need to know before making the swap:

What are LT tires?
Both and the U.S. rate tires the same way. The 'P' or Passenger types are the most popular tires today, found on everything from Mazda2s to Lincoln MKTs. Look on your tire's sidewall and you'll see the 'P' proceeding all of your tire's other specs. LTs are a step up from here. calls them, "the 'little brothers of 18-wheel tractor-trailer tires… designed to provide substantial reserve capacity to accept the additional stresses of carrying heavy cargo." Their treads are usually more aggressive too, for better all-terrain ability.

Who's buying them?
"The less aggressive [P-rated] patterns… are very popular with commuters in the larger urban centres or with vacationers pulling campers or boat trailers," said Mike Miller of . "But - and I can't give you a percentages, but I can tell you - LT tires particularly, the more aggressive patterns, have proven to be very popular in the resource sector in Western Canada and in commercial applications in central and eastern Canada… They want the more aggressive look, more stable feel and better traction characteristics offered by a Light Truck tire."

The guinea pig
To illustrate Miller's point, we enlisted Michael Theal of St.Catharines, Ontario. Owner of a 2008 GMC Sierra Crew Cab 1500, he properly fits the work/play mould of a guy who would make the swap to LT tires. His truck must wear many hats: with a home to renovate it's a work horse, with a young baby, it's the family vehicle and a shift-work job means driving at strange hours in all weather conditions. Miller and Toyo swapped out his GMC's original, P-rated Goodyears for the equivalent-sized, LT 265/60R17 Open Country A/T (All/Terrain) tire.

We kept with the same size rubber not only because it would make for a proper back-to-back comparison, but also because, as the says: " it is important to be aware that tire sizes inconsistent with those listed on the vehicle information placard can adversely affect vehicle safety and stability. A change in the outside diameter of a tire can affect the accuracy of your speedometer, your odometer and possibly the safe operation of your vehicle."

His thoughts
We spoke to Theal a few weeks after the Toyo's were installed to get his impressions: "My truck feels much more stable with stuff in the bed or not… On or off-road, you can feel that these are a heavier tire. My steering takes a little more muscle and there's more tire noise on the highway. I'm sure I'm using more fuel too, but the trade-off is worth it. My GMC feels much more stuck to the road and sort of like its been workin' out. They look better too… I'm running out of tire shine [laughs]"

It's what's inside that counts
Theal's reaction is to be expected from new LT tire user, says Miller. Most the changes to his truck come from how the tires made: "The rubber compounds vary between a passenger and LT tire with the LT offering greater cut resistance" he said. "Belt construction also differs with high-tensile steel belts to resist impacts and additional protector belt plies… There is then a significant weight difference between the tires. Passenger rated All-Terrain tires in [the same size] weigh 39 pounds each while the "LT" rated tire weigh 50… consumer may see a slight decrease in fuel economy due to the increased weight of an LT tire." High fuel prices haven't hurt the market though he added, "Contrary to a sales decrease, we've seen good growth in the LT market."

Consider the price of entry
There are two reasons to budget wisely if you're going to make the move to LT tires. First, due mostly to their heavier construction, the MSRP of LT's run around the $300-$345 mark, versus $210-250 for a P-rated set (at least in the case of the Open Country A/T's, their warrant is the same as most other Toyo tires - 80,000 kms or five years). Second, if you live in a particularly snow-bound part of Canada, you may still need winter tires, despite the aggressive tread block design and special wavy 'sipe' (grooves in the tires) we see here.. Say Miller again, "As good as Toyo's Light Truck tires are, they still have their limitations and we strongly suggest consumers switch over to an LT-rated winter tires."

machinehead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have P rated tires on my 08 Denali ( 1/2 ton version ) and Dad has LT tires on his 06 Duramax.
Is it safe to say all the HD trucks ( 3/4 ton and up come) with LT tires from factory ?

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My last truck I had to do the upgrade. Tires were 50% tread and I kept punched holes right through the tread with rocks while towing my fifth wheel trailer. The P rated tires just weren't enough.

Puba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If and when you need tires, Summitric is the man to see, I won't take my truck, the wifes car or the two boys car's anywhere else...........

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Am I missing something?? What I just read said the difference between LT and P are the tread pattern and the rubber compound, it did not mention anything about the ply rating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Am I missing something?? What I just read said the difference between LT and P are the tread pattern and the rubber compound, it did not mention anything about the ply rating.

Maybe you rushed to hit the reply button before finishing the sentence?

"The rubber compounds vary between a passenger and LT tire with the LT offering greater cut resistance" he said. "Belt construction also differs with high-tensile steel belts to resist impacts and additional protector belt plies…"

I don't see why anything with a GVW higher than 7000lbs should come with anything less than LT tires.

But its a great way for the manufacturers to beat the EPA and fuel economy ratings I suppose.

Now if someone would post an article that explains GVWR, Payload, tow capacity and GCVW so that half these guys out there can find out they are overloaded most of the time. :)

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Plus p tires are 80-100 bucks cheaper each.

Add that up

Money savings talks

sent from my htc

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Maybe you rushed to hit the reply button before finishing the sentence?

"The rubber compounds vary between a passenger and LT tire with the LT offering greater cut resistance" he said. "Belt construction also differs with high-tensile steel belts to resist impacts and additional protector belt plies…"

I don't see why anything with a GVW higher than 7000lbs should come with anything less than LT tires.

But its a great way for the manufacturers to beat the EPA and fuel economy ratings I suppose.

Now if someone would post an article that explains GVWR, Payload, tow capacity and GCVW so that half these guys out there can find out they are overloaded most of the time. :)

Lol yep I guess I did miss something, and I read everything twice! that's what I get for posting before my first coffee in the morning.

Top Bottom