Turbo Alpha insurance

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So my insurance broker is having issues with the only company that will agree to insure my sled. They at first said she under quoted me on full coverage and then cranked it up another $700/year, then they are now saying after 1 month that my bill of sale was too old when I got the insurance and now they want an appraisal to say the sled is worth what I paid. An appraisal is $300. So I’m about to say f*ck off and try to find some myself, anybody have some companies that are a lot smarter than these clown out east? They are trying to tell me this thing is a “highly modified” machine and pretty much un insureable. I’ve explained the mechanics behind this low boost sidekick setup but they aren’t smart enough to grasp things outside of the city limits in Toronto

northern bear

RIP May 30,2022
Reaction score
I’ve always had good luck with Cooperators. Never had a machine denied by them yet. Although I’m not super impressed with the sport bike policy. Just because they classify the CBR600 as restricted and charge me double for it. I’ve insured anything from new to almost 40 years old for off-road pleasure use, no questions. Bikes, 3 wheelers, quads and sleds. Never questioned dollar values for what I claimed to have boughten them for. The one thing they won’t do is a stand alone policy though. Have to have a vehicle insured through them. I’m a multi line customer, auto, home, life, So it’s never been an issue for me.

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Why would you tell them it has a turbo?

Big picture, you want the machine replaced or whatever. Who cares about the 3k turbo on a 15k machine

Reactions: RXN

snoflake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Call Drayden Insurance 1 780 482 6300. They will ask for the VIN, and how many cc, and how much you paid. . Conversation stops there. Who cares if you have a $5000 turbo, or $5000 in powder coating If it is a new machine, full coverage should be around $700ish per year with replacement value for 2 years max. Then they go bluebook/market value. Which should be in the $500ish per year depending if you have had past claims. This has been my experience over the last 10+ years.

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I made the mistake of appraising my road glide cvo. It came in at 90k. Everything was good until I told him I had a 131 inch engine. Broker then said it’s too many CC’s and won’t insure it. Trying to explain to somebody 2200cc in V twin engine versus 1300cc in a four-cylinder. The power is different. My bike does make stupid torque But A Hayabusa is gonna put a spanking on me. I had to get Specialty insurance $1200 a year

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Call Drayden Insurance 1 780 482 6300. They will ask for the VIN, and how many cc, and how much you paid. . Conversation stops there. Who cares if you have a $5000 turbo, or $5000 in powder coating If it is a new machine, full coverage should be around $700ish per year with replacement value for 2 years max. Then they go bluebook/market value. Which should be in the $500ish per year depending if you have had past claims. This has been my experience over the last 10+ years.

It said turbo on bill of sale from dealer, so my broker went with that, she a very honest person and/but limited of mechanical knowledge big time, ended up in this endless fight since, has gone from $1090 to $1900 and now all these hoops in the last month lol. $1090 wasn’t terrible in my eyes as my last stock sled was $940 anyway but then after I signed and paid it’s become a $hit show

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Two G for insurance????
Go to cooperators. Have your bill of sale and a second bill for your accs.
Sounds crazy but my turbo doo is the same money a year as my 2019 850 NA when I had it.
I that don’t work tell go back after a week and tell them you took the turbo off. For a 5g kit it’s not worth it.

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Already told them to take a hike, have coverage for 3 more weeks , I’ll find someone else I’m sure that will be smart enough to deal with lol

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Co-operators is also where mine is through. $351/year for full coverage, $500 deductible. But mines a '13 Pro RMK with Boost-It kit, so it's not worth much anymore.

The cost wasn't a whole lot more, I think $100/year for the turbo, but it took a couple days for underwriting to approve it before it was insured.

Factory turbos are a lot simpler for insurance, insurance companies favor OEM stock machines over modified machines, even if at the end of the day the machines were the same performance wise.

snoflake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For future reference, sell it to friend then buy it back. Remove turbo from the BOS. Insurance companies don't care where the BOS comes from, nor do they do anything with it other than check a box, and confirm VIN.

joey

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Cooperators are good to me. I also have an extremely modified jeep and they insured all my aftermarket parts too. Very easy to deal with.

Dawizman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I removed turbo from the bill of sale I sent to my broker, but my insurance docs came back with turbo on them. Must have came up when they ran the vin.

I'm paying 1200 for for this sled. Going to start shopping around for all my toys, it's getting ridiculous. That's what we pay on a platinum explorer.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I removed turbo from the bill of sale I sent to my broker, but my insurance docs came back with turbo on them. Must have came up when they ran the vin.

I'm paying 1200 for for this sled. Going to start shopping around for all my toys, it's getting ridiculous. That's what we pay on a platinum explorer.

My god for your doo turbo?!?

Got boost want snow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My turbo apex had to have an appraisal, I understand companies protecting themselves but insurance is a fawking racket. Went to insure my 1600 mean streak they had to check a list to see if it is insurable.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My Doo turbo was $500+ as well. Someone is taking you to the cleaners?

Top Bottom