tss instaboost

Dannyturbo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just water to air U cooler, works pretty good

Sent from my iPhone while drinkin a bud light

Reaction score
Do not do it your self, you are spending alot of money already dont cheep out let the pros do it, it could void warenty and you could loose a season of ridding, and cost you more money in the long run.

Good luck...:beer:

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Talked with a guy a few weeks back that had the instant boost, he said he had boost on higher side and broke plug end off, took piston down, and since dropped boost and running ok...
Keep boost under seven and run all year:D

xmrider

Reaction score
I am wanting to do it myself as I am very mechanically inclined and would like to know about the whole turbo system as I install so if I do run into any further problems it will be easier to trouble shoot. I cant imagine that its too hard to install. And I talked to Brandon Micku and they will help out a long the way if any problems a rise. And as far as warranty goes I dont believe you can still get warranty after you turbo your sled. And fredw I will only take it up to 7 this year as I will be running a stock skid. With your experience with turbos did you not have good luck running over 7? And if so are you running a intercooler?

Backcountrypro

Reaction score
Don't listen to Fredw......If he made a run at 15 lbs of boost and the "Heavens Above" opened up for him then he would say we all need to run 15 lbs. Fred couldn't keep his set up alive last season so now we are all to follow him and dial it down to 7 psi. Do your homework and run whatever boost you and most importantly your fuel are happiest with. 7 lbs is fun but is only a matter of time until the little devil on your shoulder tells you to adjust the boost controller to 10+ psi. I have 1100 miles on my Garret turbo at 10 lbs, no issues yet.

maierch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am wanting to do it myself as I am very mechanically inclined and would like to know about the whole turbo system as I install so if I do run into any further problems it will be easier to trouble shoot. I cant imagine that its too hard to install. And I talked to Brandon Micku and they will help out a long the way if any problems a rise. And as far as warranty goes I dont believe you can still get warranty after you turbo your sled. And fredw I will only take it up to 7 this year as I will be running a stock skid. With your experience with turbos did you not have good luck running over 7? And if so are you running a intercooler?
I've ran 10 - 12 lbs for the last 2 years on my XM and it hasn't missed a beat. I did however only last one ride with the stock skid. I only had to go over backwards on two climbs in the same day to get off my wallet and cough up $2k for a racer's edge rear arm.

If you don't want to go with the skid right away you can try adding 9 or 10" wheels to the rear if the skid. This will eliminate the kick in the back if the stock rails making it less prone to wheelie.

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya, some kits need that boost to be comparable, lol run what you like, just another point of view:D

xmrider

Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys. So how do you guys think the 174 t3 will hold up to a turbo? Will people be needing to put an aftermarket skid on. Just a thought for the future

maierch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya, some kits need that boost to be comparable, lol run what you like, just another point of view:D

I hope that's not directed at me Fred. You haven't seen my sled run since the first weekend I had it in 2013 when it was flipping over backwards because the skid couldn't handle the power. The only other time I have run into you on the hill is when you were waiting for a chopper to fly yours out of the sugar bowl!!! I think I might have a picture of that day. :beer::beer::beer:

IMG_0871.jpg IMG_0900.jpg

Thanks for the info guys. So how do you guys think the 174 t3 will hold up to a turbo? Will people be needing to put an aftermarket skid on. Just a thought for the future

As I said in my post above I didn't care for how much it wheelie'd so I lasted one weekend before putting a racer's edge rear arm in it. If you're not concerned too much with climbing and want to tail stand all day the stock skid will absolutely do that for you.

Also if you put larger rear wheels (9" or 10") on your stock skid it will help with the tenancy to tail stand as well.

Good Luck

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
that does look familiar, Im on the frequent flyer program, I did get a fly free ride out thou and was back in in less than a hr... did you not have a ugly as well threw the season if I remember correctly...lol, and yes yours works good, how was barrys BB comparing? my turbo sled actually worked fairly well most of the season, till boost was turned up, and not much you can blame on the turbo when base gasket blows it self out and you hydro lock motor, or your plug electrode breaks off after 1000 miles of abuse, but I am planning to drop boost and try in prevent last year issues... time will see

maierch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
that does look familiar, Im on the frequent flyer program, I did get a fly free ride out thou and was back in in less than a hr... did you not have a ugly as well threw the season if I remember correctly...lol, and yes yours works good, how was barrys BB comparing? my turbo sled actually worked fairly well most of the season, till boost was turned up, and not much you can blame on the turbo when base gasket blows it self out and you hydro lock motor, or your plug electrode breaks off after 1000 miles of abuse, but I am planning to drop boost and try in prevent last year issues... time will see
Mine took the flight because I tattooed a tree not because my engine let loose.

Berry's sled works very well, it's impeccably tuned and is very light. I'm probably giving up at least 100 lbs to him in sled and rider weight but I think we all are! On longer deeper climbs my sled will tend to hold its track speed better and can out climb big bores. There are some issues I'm still working out with my set up but I'm sure we're all doing that.

Should be a good season. Hopefully we'll see you on the hill!

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
my flight instructors father bought the instant boost last year, hes had some good days and bad, motor went down threw Christmas, never really heard what happened, then went down latter on a missing electrode as well, it sounds like similar issues I had, and I was down with baker when another instant boost blew a basegasket and hydrolocked... so power to yours if its stayed together, reliabity plays a big role for turbo two stroke... see you on the hill

maierch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
lmao, even the doo guys don't like you fred. too funny
I never said I didn't like Fred. Actually to ride with he's one of the best guys I know. He's always the first guy to lend a hand to someone in trouble, always a stand up guy. Sometimes I think his fingers get ahead of him on the Internet but I don't hold that against him!

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Finally the truth is visable. I posted a few times to stay away from turbo etec's unless your ready for some big or small problems. Also a spare sled helps along with some serious mechanical aptitude. Nobody I ride with has had any long term success with etec motors boosted.

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah its funny how you get the rosy version on the internet from alot of people, but rarely the honest truth. I know of one very outspoken tss promoter that has had some major troubles behind the scenes but on the internet its all good. Kind of BS if you ask me. Im sorry but for 9k for a kit they should be disclosing any issues that they have been having.

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
^^^^
What Deaner said.
Same here as one fello says he has 7000 Kms with no problems on a aero and only changed pistons once a year?
Oooooookay
I know different so don't believe all of what is posted? Lol

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As turbos become more popular and available, like big bores, you will hear the same problems with reliability and tuning. It really comes down to the guy maintaining the machine and knowing when to pull back and when to go. Some big bores can be on the ragged edge but forgiving when things go south. turbos you just multiply it by two on how fast things can go wrong, there really is no forgiveness when it goes south.

keep in mind for anyone buying.... Throw a rod out the bottom end and it will set you back $5000 for a long block plus a chopper ride.

To to be honest.... Turbos are for pussies, real men just ride hard! And if you have to fly a sled out, you just simply don't know how to tow one ;)

Diamondledinc

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I honestly haven't heard of one rod going out the bottom end yet. Turbos are for people who want more.. Theres only so many places you can go on a N/A sled, especially when the snow is too deep :p

xmrider

Reaction score
I am aware with all the issues to expect when buying a turbo. I just want that extra power in the deep stuff like DC350 has mentioned. I believe all the kits are going to have the same wear/problems on the engine. What makes a good turbo kit is programing and the ease to work on it and good customer service. That is why I chose TSS

Top Bottom