Trouble firing up old 85 Evinrude

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was trying to get my uncles old boat going for him the other day. Its been stored indoors for the last 20 years and has not been used since. At first the engine turned over very slowly, so i added more power, jumpers from a truck etc and still turns over very slowly. I removed the plugs and as expected the engine turned over at what i would feel is the correct speed. I put a bit of oil in each cylinder and turned it over a few times to try and lubricate the cylinders. I put the plugs back in and same thing cranks over very slowly and not nearly enough to fire. Im stumped. Any sugestions? Engine is a 1985 Evinrude 2 STROKE

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Starter is on the way out...... Martin Powersports, probably has one in stock.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
I was trying to get my uncles old boat going for him the other day. Its been stored indoors for the last 20 years and has not been used since. At first the engine turned over very slowly, so i added more power, jumpers from a truck etc and still turns over very slowly. I removed the plugs and as expected the engine turned over at what i would feel is the correct speed. I put a bit of oil in each cylinder and turned it over a few times to try and lubricate the cylinders. I put the plugs back in and same thing cranks over very slowly and not nearly enough to fire. Im stumped. Any sugestions? Engine is a 1985 Evinrude 2 STROKE
just sell it, I know a guy looking for a boat..... LOL.....

I would agree with Doug, the starter may be on the way out, if you open it up and put a rope on it, can you pull it over at a normal rate?

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'd try cleaning the commutator before changing it. 20 years sitting can create all kinds of high resistance film deposit. Just had to do the same thing to one of my electric camper jack motors, and it only sat over the winter.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im leaning towards the starter myself at the moment. Have you looked at all of the connections to make sure they are not corroded and such? It’s possible the starter is dragging and robbing to much cranking power.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im leaning towards the starter myself at the moment. Have you looked at all of the connections to make sure they are not corroded and such? It’s possible the starter is dragging and robbing to much cranking power.

Yea I think this is it I didn’t dig into the connections too much but the starter gets too hot to touch after only seconds of cranking snd I actually noticed a small amount of smoke coming from it so I think she’s done!

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yea I think this is it I didn’t dig into the connections too much but the starter gets too hot to touch after only seconds of cranking snd I actually noticed a small amount of smoke coming from it so I think she’s done!

Thats were I would start based on what you just mentioned, I think your correct. Its done.

Got boost want snow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Letting the smoke out is never good! That smoke is required for all electrical/electronic components to work. I would say you are on the right track, repair/replace the starter

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
haha F** off i never noticed the smoke until i tried again yesterday after i posted this. Pretty clear now whats wrong lol. it wasnt alot i could barely see it but more smoke than whats supposed to come out of a starter LOL

Chrisco

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
haha F** off i never noticed the smoke until i tried again yesterday after i posted this. Pretty clear now whats wrong lol. it wasnt alot i could barely see it but more smoke than whats supposed to come out of a starter LOL
Smoke.........bad........ replace.

Top Bottom