trip costs

linzoid

Reaction score
I'm sure this has been asked before but how does everybody split costs when traveling together for a trip. Specifically gas?
I think if I start with a full tank on my dime I should have a full tank when I get home and everyone should split this cost. Same as with a rental car. Full when you pick it up, full when you bring it back. Some members of the group dispute this and argue they shouldnt have to pay for my fuel to drive around town when I get back.
What are you all's thoughts on this?

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i would argue get new riding partners. You are 100% correct. should split back to what you left town with

i also travel alone now, too many of these arguments in my past lol

if you want to B*TCH about half a tank of fuel how about the wear and tear of 2000km pulling your riding buddies junk around. No one charges for that.

bendy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm sure this has been asked before but how does everybody split costs when traveling together for a trip. Specifically gas?
I think if I start with a full tank on my dime I should have a full tank when I get home and everyone should split this cost. Same as with a rental car. Full when you pick it up, full when you bring it back. Some members of the group dispute this and argue they shouldnt have to pay for my fuel to drive around town when I get back.
Yeah... you need new riding partners! I've got rid of more than a few like this over the years.

greenthumb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

You're right.
Sounds like they're being cheap whiney little bishes. What about tires, insurance, oil changes, etc? If anything, you should be getting a free tank for being the guy volunteering to take their truck and do all the driving.
Perhaps they would rather pay you the CRA rate of $.61/km.
One or two trips of them having to drive themselves should make them realize how good they had it.

vodoo103

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If your buddies are happy with that deal, they should be driving their trucks.
We always start off with a full tank before tracking and split costs after dropping everyone off and filling when we get home. If they don't trust your last receipt, or can't afford the extra $40 they owe you, you need a new group to ride with.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I have travelled with buddies who pay for all the gas. They say, "you have absorbed the wear and tear, we'll pay for gas!"
I know that is not the norm but it has happened.
At this point in my life, it is my wife and I or by myself. No pickups so to speak.
Like others have stated, look for new riding buds.

fj40

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So with just two going we split the gas. Gas tank full when I leave and full when we get back, and buy the driver a meal. If we take alternate vehicles each trip then the driver pays the shot.
This only works with people that I trust.
3 or 4 guys the owner/ driver doesn't pay gas.

bendy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So with just two going we split the gas. Gas tank full when I leave and full when we get back, and buy the driver a meal. If we take alternate vehicles each trip then the driver pays the shot.
This only works with people that I trust.
3 or 4 guys the owner/ driver doesn't pay gas.
Same thing here. With my main riding partner, driver pays the whole shot. We alternate each trip. Works good for us. Might not work with certain people. I don't drink and I don't foot bills for four spicy double vodka caesars at supper!

Top Bottom