Transmission troubleshooting

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just picked up a 2001 dodge diesel with an auto transmission. Main issue is not going into overdrive. It also doesnt want to shift down into 1st when in drive, so you are basically operating in 2 & 3. It will go into 1st if you put it there manually though.

The weird thing is that I spoke to the previous owner (last guy that actually owned the truck and drove it), and he said he never had ANY issues with the transmission. He had issues with the fuel pump, so he changed that out, but didnt wire it in right so couldnt get the truck to run. He sold the truck as is to a local shop that said they wired in the fuel pump right and sold the truck to someone else. I just bought it from him. So it is from that point forward that the transmission didnt work properly. Previous owner says the only other variable he could think of is he had a mild smarty tune in the truck which he took out when he was working on the fuel pump. So I put the tune back in and no difference. Took it back to the shop that had bought it and fixed the fuel pump for a diagnostic on the transmission. Charged me 160 to tell me that the solenoid was recieving the signal from the pcm to shift into overdrive, so maybe a bad solenoid. Said to change that one, and the one that commands the shift down into 1st.

The timing just seems odd on this issue though so thought I would throw it out there to people more experienced than I

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone? Changed the governer pressure solenoid and sensor and no difference. Has to be something electrical caused by them working on the lift pump?

ATV Rancher

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I really have no idea, but remember some advice on checking to make sure that the grounds are clean, including to the frame.

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So crazy story if anyone cares.......was caused by loose pins for the transmission relay. Couldn't believe it. Took it to a good transmission shop and they had it figured out in no time. Have hauled 15 cords of beautiful standing dead larch out off the mountain and she hasn't missed a beat!

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
20211015_154943.jpg

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am getting rid if the 47re in my 1999 24v and putting in a nv4500. So done with the auto, they are too temperamental.

mountianguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am getting rid if the 47re in my 1999 24v and putting in a nv4500. So done with the auto, they are too temperamental.
The NV 4500 are awesome transmissions only thing is to install the 5th gear fix if it is not already done.

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The NV 4500 are awesome transmissions only thing is to install the 5th gear fix if it is not already done.
I have that done already, I have everything to do the swap minus the clutch and master cylinder. The trans is rebuilt, new bellhousing and I found all OEM stuff for the interior in great shape, I am pretty happy about that. My truck is a rwd and I am toying with the idea of a Gearvenders to split my ratios. Pretty pricey so I may try the truck without first.

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
She looks pretty rust free, where did it come from? My 99 came off the van island and is in amazing shape.
I think it's a local truck. It had a little rust in the usual spots so I did some home body work on it. It's good from far, but far from good!

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've been back and forth a million times on whether to do this. I love this truck, but so much work and money to do the swap. Probably better off selling it and buying a manual. Plus for what I'm doing with it the auto is fine. There's nothing like a standard in these second gens

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have that done already, I have everything to do the swap minus the clutch and master cylinder. The trans is rebuilt, new bellhousing and I found all OEM stuff for the interior in great shape, I am pretty happy about that. My truck is a rwd and I am toying with the idea of a Gearvenders to split my ratios. Pretty pricey so I may try the truck without first.
I don't think you will want the gear vendors. The hole between 3rd and 4th is annoying but really not that big a deal unless you are pulling heavy and if you have added some power that helps smooth it out as well. My truck had 4.10s and the nv4500 OD was enough I wouldn't want another gear on top. I recommend putting in the southbend clutch master and slave cylinder setup. I nuked the stock clutch in mine and put in a southbend twin disc but it was really hard to slip so was pretty jerky reversing with a load I would stay with a good single disc next time.

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't think you will want the gear vendors. The hole between 3rd and 4th is annoying but really not that big a deal unless you are pulling heavy and if you have added some power that helps smooth it out as well. My truck had 4.10s and the nv4500 OD was enough I wouldn't want another gear on top. I recommend putting in the southbend clutch master and slave cylinder setup. I nuked the stock clutch in mine and put in a southbend twin disc but it was really hard to slip so was pretty jerky reversing with a load I would stay with a good single disc next time.
I am going with a good single disk, my truck has 3:54 rear gear. I also plan on using the southbend master/slave kit. At 90kms/hr I should be at 2100rpm in 4th and at 100km/hr around 1850rpm in 5. I am going to weld a nipple on one of the PTO covers and use my auto trans temp guage to see hot hot a manual gets, I am curious lol. It took a while to find a 2wd trans, and my driveshaft is going to be about 6" short.

My main reason for the swap is I hate how my auto would unlock and drop a gear based on pedal position. The thing would be be pulling good but if you put your foot in it the thing unlocks or drops a gear. The old 24v loves to pull at 1800-2000 and the auto won't let it.

I have RV275 injectors and running 27psi boost with a 30hp tune. It runs good, gets great fuel mileage. On the highway empty I get around 11.5L/100kms and pulling my 8500lb holiday trailer it gets about 18L/per100km.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Drove a couple trucks with dual disk. Wasn’t a fan of them. Wasn’t bad just driving but if you had to back up to a trailer or something it was horrible!

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
nothing better than dry larch
I found a gold mine. Its a little ways away......but in a burn area with almost unlimited standing dead larch. Burned 2-3 years ago. Not sure I would burn it this year, but gonna be perfect next year

brian h

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When installing the nv4500 it's recommended to over fill trans, add 1/2 to 1L, easy to do by filling before installing stick or can install 90 degree elbow into fill hole that will get you close to 1L . Unit will run cooler and input bearing last longer for they had issues of failing if truck had a pto or where parked on up hill grade while warming up. As for updated nut for 5th gear be hard to find one without update for original design wasn't sold for so many years then it went thru a few updates

Top Bottom