Ballzdeep

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
2018 Ram Laramie 2500
6.5 Hemi bone stock
70,000kms

Royal 7x16v-nose
weight- 2400lbs

Pulling trailer other day and POS won’t go into 4th. Tried manual shift and nothing up or down. On henday so limping along at 80. Ding! Engine light comes on. Pull over shut truck off. Let sit for 5, fire up and engine light still there. Truck starts shifting normal but still won’t go into 4th.

get home unhook trailer and take truck for a boot. No issues now other then engine light is on. Get on Henday and she rips up and gets into 4th 5th no problem. WTF

no tuner, so head to buddy’s place he plugs it in and code P0871 comes up. He clears it and get to googling. Trans valve body? My truck struggle to pull 2400lbs?

last night picked up a bike and didn’t want to hit the hwy but figured I’d try. Not in tow mode and it shifted fine no engine lights nuttin. So was this a one off? I think I’d still have warranty for tranny. Google and dodge forms are all over with that code. Most are different issues. Anyone else have this issue? Should I be concerned??

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They have a stupid filter inside the pan. A spin on one.

When I took my truck to clutch and grab they found filter had come loose. Causing it to suck air. This was on my 2008 Ram

Ballzdeep

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
should also add i checked the trans oil right away and it was clean and purple and had NO burnt smell.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
should also add i checked the trans oil right away and it was clean and purple and had NO burnt smell.

Mine screwed around on and off for a few weeks. Then got worse and filter kept unscrewing. Best to check it. JMO

Rotax_Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Had similar on a 10 with the 68. Valve body was pooched as were one of the shift solenoids. Valve body was on BO at the time for 4 weeks. Truck wouldn't go out of 4th, was stuck in it.

NoBrakes!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My brother had a bad trans in his 2014 gas job... had issue, brought it in, dropped tranny and it ended up leaving the dealer on a flat deck... wasn't worth them putting a new trans in. they sent it to auction and he bought new cummins. Was a bad day.

I sent him a text to confirm the dirty details. I'll update when he does.

Sorry for the ****ty news Lee...

Update... It was going to be something like 4K to replace the valve body and solenoids at the dealer in PR...

Last edited:

Ballzdeep

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My brother had a bad trans in his 2014 gas job... had issue, brought it in, dropped tranny and it ended up leaving the dealer on a flat deck... wasn't worth them putting a new trans in. they sent it to auction and he bought new cummins. Was a bad day.

Update... It was going to be something like 4K to replace the valve body and solenoids at the dealer in PR...

Hopefully i should still be under warranty. i just checked and im actually at 79,000km. But truck runs fine now, no issues at all...maybe ticking time bomb haha I love this truck and just spent 800 bones on company decals so im not ready to part with it.

Ballzdeep

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Had similar on a 10 with the 68. Valve body was pooched as were one of the shift solenoids. Valve body was on BO at the time for 4 weeks. Truck wouldn't go out of 4th, was stuck in it.

Welp, fingers crossed it won't happen again. I don't wanna be out weeks without a truck....maybe ill get a fancy new cummins as a loaner hahaha ya right.

snoflake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im guessing that's not the only tranny you and your brother have blown!

Ballzdeep

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i just spoke with service, they said because i cleared the code and it's not doing it now there's not much they can do. Note to self....don't clear codes when its under warranty fawk!. Was Told 5yr/100,000km warranty on powertrain. Guess ill keep driving and puling the trailer till she does it again....hopefully before i hit 100k.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Weird chit can happen. Mine popped a line out of nowhere wouldn't shift out of 2nd at about 80,000km. But trans fluid was burnt bad. No hassles though getting warranty on it, even saved me the money of doing the service that was due on it.

Rotax_Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Welp, fingers crossed it won't happen again. I don't wanna be out weeks without a truck....maybe ill get a fancy new cummins as a loaner hahaha ya right.

My story got worse. Once they replaced the parts in the tranny, the mechanic was reconnecting the batteries and crossed wires and fried the ECM. Another 7 days to get one flown in from Detriot for $8600. I picked up the truck once complete, asked them if they test drove and they said they did. I take pictures of my odomoeter before I drop vehicles off for service to see if they actually drive them and after 37 days, the truck had 0.6km on it....get halfway across lot and every light on the dash that can illuminate does. Pull back in and they find the ECM doesn't know which injector is firing at what time, so they need to give them addresses...2 days later it ran as it should.

On a side note - have a 20 CTD - it feels quite a bit different than my 14. It's almost quieter than my wife's 3.5 Ecoboost at idle.

Top Bottom