Trail question

Kaz Dog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have quads and sleds so I'm not biased, but one crappy thing I can think of is tracked ATV is way slower then a sledder braaaapn down the trail,I know there's speed limits blah bla..and I can see Kaz and Glen not wanting them there.

Ronaha, it is not that either Glen or I “do not want them there”, it is the law. The law is there for a reason. If one does not like the law, work to get it changed.

acesup800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ronaha, it is not that either Glen or I “do not want them there”, it is the law. The law is there for a reason. If one does not like the law, work to get it changed.
Okay then, if it is that obvious, what would be the reason for the law to not allow tracked vehicles?

Kaz Dog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Okay then, if it is that obvious, what would be the reason for the law to not allow tracked vehicles?

The law does allow for tracked vehicles “that are exclusively or chiefly made to operate on snow or ice”. Please refer to my previous post quoting the current law, or look it up yourself - as I did - in the P.L.A.R. Act.

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Use your imagination. There's a plethora of reasons not to allow tracked ATV's - this thread is proof of that. Consider that SRD would rather not have OHV's of any kind in that area and just be thankful that they at least allow snowmobiles.

Tchetek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I respect that it is the clubs CHOICE to only allow snowmobiles and snow bikes! And I’m fine with that!

Think the thread went sideways when it was blamed on that “law” , as there are many types of snow vehicles!

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The law does allow for tracked vehicles “that are exclusively or chiefly made to operate on snow or ice”. Please refer to my previous post quoting the current law, or look it up yourself - as I did - in the P.L.A.R. Act.
You conveniently skipped the part that said "equipped to be".
AS stated previously, it's written in a few different places in different ways. It's not a black and white law so no you are wrong, it's not the law, it's how it's interpreted.

Ronaha

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya I thought we we all in agreement that skegpro blew the "law" thing apart a few pages back lol,nobody wants atv there anyway ,atv and sleds don't mix

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Use your imagination. There's a plethora of reasons not to allow tracked ATV's - this thread is proof of that. Consider that SRD would rather not have OHV's of any kind in that area and just be thankful that they at least allow snowmobiles.

For now,,,,,But who knows in the future.

TrxR

Reaction score
One other thing to look at is land owners. Around here there are land owners that allow the snowmobile trail to go through but do not want ATV's or SXS on their property no mater what time of year. To lose some of those trails would completely cripple the trail system. Also there is the insurance that the clubs has to carry to cover the land owners. I believe it does not cover ATV's or SXS's. There are shared trail systems around but they are generally a mess do to allowing wheeled Atv's and SXS's.

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Spotted at Cataract Creek, I told the kunt with wheels to park it.
c06fec54d1b4fff3329e7ee7449db306.jpg

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pretty badass, I didn't realize you could get that big of lug. Must go fairly well in deep snow?
0919cfe45dae5bc495591fd8ccd40170.jpg

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
That is quite a read!!

The interesting thing that I find is that the "laws" don't change fast enough to keep up with technology and the people making the "laws" haven't got a clue about what actually happens in the real world.

As a past groomer operator, I have seen and witnessed a lot of chit on the sweet ribbon laid down late at night. A lot of pride goes into getting a smooth trail. A lot of anxiety develops from snowmobilers getting on the throttle leaving rooster piles in the middle of the trail or using the trail/berm to launch those wheelies and load the trail with a big frozen hump. The early season quads going for a rip or the people who go for a moon light whiskey run with their jacked up 4x4's and whatever else they decide to use for whatever reason. I am sure I have seen it all and it used to p*ss me off. Now I can take it with a little more ease. It is an educational process and they soon learn that tracked vehicles are best. Sooner than later the quads/trucks all get stuck and make one hell of a mess and further up the trail, then more money to extradite. Hell, I've seen trucks 20 km up the trail. Can you imagine the cost and/or time involved to get back down. I never pulled anybody out with the SnowCat, as there was no liability insurance for such work (pull off a bumper, scratch something, etc., etc..) but I would give them a number for a tow truck. The last guy up Coal Creek spent $500 for a tow truck. He won't be back again.

As to "tracked vehicles", I was naturally defensive of the sweet ribbon and inwardly pissed that these bastards would be up on a snowmobile trail. When I got down that night, I took a breath and reflected; there was no damage to the trail as I came back down and maybe I should just relax a little more. Water testers continually used tracked vehicles to go up the trail to test water quality and lo' and behold, no damage.

Long story short, tracked vehicles are not a problem and I agree with skegpro. Sure some people put a lot of time into volunteering and ownership seems to be an issue but in the whole scheme of things does it really make a difference as long as there is respect and common sense on the trails.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
interesting, i own and have ridden both, and in my opinion i would say on a groomed trail the tracked SxS or quad will make little to no damage on a packed trail. tired yes! just don't get the tracked sxs stuck!!!! srd may or may not ticket?charge the operator, but i'm thinking it would be thrown out before seeing a judge, and a good lawyer will do the same before a judge(maybe not by a Y2Y supporter). quite a few cross country ski groups use a tracked atv to run there ski tracks also.

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
interesting, i own and have ridden both, and in my opinion i would say on a groomed trail the tracked SxS or quad will make little to no damage on a packed trail. tired yes! just don't get the tracked sxs stuck!!!! srd may or may not ticket?charge the operator, but i'm thinking it would be thrown out before seeing a judge, and a good lawyer will do the same before a judge(maybe not by a Y2Y supporter). quite a few cross country ski groups use a tracked atv to run there ski tracks also.
She fits the bill for a snow vechile.
Even David Suzuki would agree......

Top Bottom