Track support on sled deck

altaredneck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just debating on buying sled deck extensions for my 7’ limitless. Last year I put 2x4 on edge under the track so the 3” paddles wouldn’t fold then put the super clamp on however now I’m wondering if that puts too much pressure on the rails and don’t want to bend them. It seemed to work ok but just wondering if anyone had any insight if this has ever caused damage to anyone’s rails.
thx

catrutt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
8 foot deck is better get one of those flip up add on extender .

canuck5

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 6”6 deck with the flip extension I think it becomes 8”. I can say at 6”6 it’s right at the pivot point on the 162-165” sleds put a lot of faith in those superclamps without extension. I think the 7” deck would likely be just enough to get past the pivot.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just debating on buying sled deck extensions for my 7’ limitless. Last year I put 2x4 on edge under the track so the 3” paddles wouldn’t fold then put the super clamp on however now I’m wondering if that puts too much pressure on the rails and don’t want to bend them. It seemed to work ok but just wondering if anyone had any insight if this has ever caused damage to anyone’s rails.
thx
Cut 2x4 to like 3" or maybe 2 3/4". won't let paddles fully fold but still supports.

Here's another concept I've been playing with, not sure yet on the production materials I want to use but depending on your deck clearance or overhang past the tailgate, each deck and load would be different. I was going to use aluminum or steel I think for the side rails and then maybe just 1/2" plywood across the flat. It would only need to be as wide as the track is. It slides over the rear crossbar and then pivots up under the deck. You would have to load the sled and then slide this in from the side or move the sled slightly. This would be only for support during transport. Depending on the clearance from the deck to the bar, it might need a different design or material type. Not sure yet as I've only just roughly designed it in my mind for my own deck. Anyway, please forgive my crude sketching, this is still just conceptual at this point.

Attachments

• Deck Concept.pdf
    49 KB · Views: 317
Last edited:

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Following, I was thinking of upgrading to a limitless but wondered about a extension.

brian h

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had built home made extension for transport only and with a summit was very easy to use, load and super clamp front, pull sled by grab bar to one side so you have a slight lean in suspension,hook extension on back of deck and slide under track,clamp rear down and I had zero issues. Generally you see 2 guys lifting sled up to put extension under track. Also had a deck extension and for most they never flip it up so if your okay with deck being longer it's not a issue. Now I run a 8 foot deck which is the way I prefer.

Jorg Jorgenson

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would say the same thing, get a full extension and run 8' deck overall, watch your head though if on a short box truck.

Yes watch your head but also I was not a fan of my 8’ deck on 6.5’ box as when it was sloppy roads and you needed into the box you were always getting dripped on by the road slop that would fall from the underside.

I too have done the 2x4 on edge with a 3” track but only when I’m on a 7’ deck, with my extension there’s lots bearing I don’t worry about bending the paddles, on a 7’ deck though I like doing so I don’t fold over the few paddles it sits on. Just be strategic with where you run your strap or rear superclamp and do it close to or right across where the 2x4 is I don’t see that putting any extra stress on it. Would be worse without it IMO, if anything.

Lunch_Box

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Following, I was thinking of upgrading to a limitless but wondered about a extension.

Limitless makes an extension to put under your track after the sled has been loaded.

244511607_374451204343520_3929025664888174491_n.jpg

06 Dragon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There is also some photos and info in a similar thread here some where on S&M of ones that folks were building and purchasing.

Vipertonytro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would say that is as strong as only the small tab on the end of the ⅛" aluminum...
Yeah the Limitless extensions are garbage, i've bent two now and they just claim that I have forgot to take it off and backed sled up (not the case, they have bent traveling down Hwy 1 with the lovely frost heaves in the winter) Of course they say that nobody else have ever bent a set. Plus they are a pain in the ass to lift sled over and then lift sled up high enough with track sag to put sled back on.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
On our 7’ deck my brother and I, made tie down spots before the pivot point on skid,
Works good, feel like if the super clamp let go the sled would still stay on deck. Just cut a 2x4 so rails won’t cut our strap

Attachments

• FFE321AB-936F-4D23-8024-A13D38B243FB.jpeg
    FFE321AB-936F-4D23-8024-A13D38B243FB.jpeg
    313.1 KB · Views: 390
  • 7CC3BC14-F765-47BB-9C2F-898619AA3C6D.jpeg
    7CC3BC14-F765-47BB-9C2F-898619AA3C6D.jpeg
    309.5 KB · Views: 385
Last edited:

mammothdecks

Reaction score
Website
www.mammothdecks.com
Check out our one-of-a-kind solution to decks extensions! Flip-down style extensions are terrible for a few reasons. One, they are very expensive. Two, they are heavy as f!&@. Three, you can only use your deck when the extension is flipped down, which does not make much sense.

With our new design, it's the cheapest of its kind, its length, and width adjustable via telescoping, AND your ramps hook onto the back of the extension, so you can load on the extension.

When not in use, it can simply be telescoped into the deck and take up virtually no space at all.

Attachments

• ezgif-5-80c800ac16.jpeg
    ezgif-5-80c800ac16.jpeg
    132.2 KB · Views: 250
Top Bottom