Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
December 7, 2021 by Adam Malik

Toyota’s gamble on hydrogen​

Toyota-Mirai-hydrogen-1024x683.jpg

The Toyota Mirai hydrogen fuel cell car.
Toyota is putting a number of chips on the table when it comes to hydrogen technology in vehicles, according to an industry analysis.

Through both fuel-cell electric vehicles (FCEVs) and hydrogen-powered engines, the Japanese automaker is moving its move to become a carbon-neutral company, observed GlobalData, a data and analytics company.

Recently, Toyota, Kawasaki, Subaru, Mazda and Yamaha have teamed up on production, transportation and use of hydrogen, which is a carbon-neutral fuel for future vehicles. Toyota, the company noted, has a hydrogen-powered engine vehicle under development. It recently debuted at a racing event in Japan.

“Toyota looks more confident about the future of hydrogen while others may think it is overhyped,” said Bakar Sadik Agwan, senior automotive consulting analyst at GlobalData.

That said, EVs are still a focus for the automaker. The company has been investing heavily in the technology, Agwan noted. “It aims to invest US$13.5 billion over the next decade in battery production and launch 15 electric models by 2025.”

He suggested that Toyota’s leadership believes hydrogen can be the best replacement for fuel in vehicles. He also argues that Toyota’s movement to hydrogen may not be as big of a gamble as it would be for others given the experience of Toyota and what the company could be capable of.

“The technology is under development for decades and the company has a ready test vehicle. Toyota is aware of the technological challenges and the recent developments are rather more focused on overcoming these challenges to make the technology ready to commercialize,” Agwan said.

“Toyota needs to overcome a slew of challenges associated with hydrogen-powered engines to prove that the technology is not over-hyped, which will definitely take some time. Going mainstream in the near-to-mid-term may remain a distant dream and electrification is expected to remain a key channel for transition to carbon-neutrality globally.”

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Last year a local Fernie sled mechanic was talking about hydrogen sleds and said in a few years from now they will be out there

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
And Toyota isn't going to spend a ton of $$$$$ on something unless they believe it will work.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So where does all this hydrogen come from?
Where do you go to find a hydrogen fuelling station?
What's the range?
Why does it cost in excess of $70k?

Toyota made a sh!tty bet 20 years ago on hydrogen, for whatever reason they believe it better to continue to double down on that mistake instead of give up. EVs are going to wipe the floor with hydrogen vehicles.

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Toyota are leaders. They will move EV tech swiftly to the side in no time. The green movement is missing the boat. EV technology is major intrusive to the planet. Its hypocrisy at its finest.

Have you done the math for hydrogen to work? A hydrogen vehicle needs 3-5x the energy to travel the same distance as an EV.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Math is hard. All I know is Elon Musk said he is in EV tech for the short term. He said it’s not sustainable. There isn’t enough cobalt and lithium on the planet for the whole population to go to EV. And most of it that is available is in China. That’s encouraging news isn’t it? So that begs the question? If Elon doesn’t believe in it then what is the next gen tech that will replace it? Probably something like Hydrogen tech most likely? Maybe Toyota sees this? Hard to argue with the Japanese. They happen to be leading the auto sector in sales.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Math is hard. All I know is Elon Musk said he is in EV tech for the short term. He said it’s not sustainable. There isn’t enough cobalt and lithium on the planet for the whole population to go to EV. And most of it that is available is in China. That’s encouraging news isn’t it? So that begs the question? If Elon doesn’t believe in it then what is the next gen tech that will replace it? Probably something like Hydrogen tech most likely? Maybe Toyota sees this? Hard to argue with the Japanese. They happen to be leading the auto sector in sales.
Website_Reserves_1163.png

actually CANADA is supposed to have a decent reserve

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website_Reserves_1163.png

actually CANADA is supposed to have a decent reserve
Thats good then I guess. Think about how many vehicles there are on the planet right now. Its staggering how much rare earth metals that will be needed to replace every gas or diesel powered vehicle in the future. I'm thinking its going to take a lot. Batteries will be needed to be replaced in the lifespan of vehicles. It all adds up. I like EV vehicles. I had the opportunity to drive johnny's Tesla and was very impressed. I doubt I'll ever have to buy one at my age but they are cool none the less.

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Tesla model 3 uses 80kwh to travel 300miles.
Toyota marai uses 350kwh to travel 300 miles.

Can you link me to the article/video where Elon musk says he doesn’t believe in battery electric vehicles?

Top Bottom