Towing With Ford F-150 Lightning A "Total Disaster" Owner Finds

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Best truck for towing is Kenworth or a good old pete...

They get 10 mpg on average running with light loads...

Don't order anything less then the 600 hp units
Tri drive on air,,, so smooth...

At least you get your moneys worth at $150 k...

Easy too pull off 2 million miles with small work overs...

MK4TDI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Haha. Crazy to think an inframe is gonna cost less than a new battery in a halfer in a few years.

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I dunno about these kenworths and Peterbilts. Everything I read online tells me that all people who tow heavy loads use the ford f150.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A coworkers dad just got a lightning. Better put a topper on it and forget about hauling anything in the back, a chevy 454 gets better fuel mileage, useless vehicle from the story I just heard, and it took him three days to recharge the battery on a level 1 charger.

Now vehicles like a powerboost ford is where the technology should be heading.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MK4TDI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A coworkers dad just got a lightning. Better put a topper on it and forget about hauling anything in the back, a chevy 454 gets better fuel mileage, useless vehicle from the story I just heard, and it took him three days to recharge the battery on a level 1 charger.

If a guy is going use them to tow, the diesel run generator to electric drive motors is the only way in the foreseeable future that it's going to work.

Komatsu has been using that tech in their mine trucks for years.

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

You think a 454 has better mpg than a lightning?

261344db74ab9fc8409e58e22d7f04d7.jpg

Also are you surprised it took 3 days to charge a half ton truck on the same plug you use to charge your iPad?

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Also are you surprised it took 3 days to charge a half ton truck on the same plug you use to charge your iPad?

Sounds like another Zuckerberg meta verse Tesla fanboy google search genius response. Wouldn’t expect anything less from the lifelong hippie legend. Do you actually have any knowledge or is your whole repertoire a google search away because I’ve never actually seen anything but google screenshot responses from you.

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sounds like another Zuckerberg meta verse Tesla fanboy google search genius response. Wouldn’t expect anything less from the lifelong hippie legend. Do you actually have any knowledge or is your whole repertoire a google search away because I’ve never actually seen anything but google screenshot responses from you.

I have a 454 in my 74 Chevy c60 grain truck but I don’t use it on pavement and the speedometer doesn’t work so I’m not quite sure on fuel economy.

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 454 in my 74 Chevy c60 grain truck but I don’t use it on pavement and the speedometer doesn’t work so I’m not quite sure on fuel economy.

I can tell you one thing without a google search, you won’t have a 2023 ford lighting still doing work in 49 years like that 74 454 grain truck. You won’t have it still working in 29 years let alone 49

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I was being sarcastic, but I have been extremely impressed with the fuel mileage of fords Big block Godzilla engine with a 10sp.

And no I am not, I at least know about a product before I buy it. So a person is paying a premium for a EV and than has to pay more money to install a level two charger.

I’d take the 454 before a EV.

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes

The big iron can pull off some 1/2 decent mileage if a person gets the gearing and tire size figured...

And the Allison auto's are awesome...

Got too tug some brutal loads on private roads that were pretty heavy ...

My heaviest hual too date was 420.000 lbs on the High Sierra rd 187 north of ft Nelson

The tri drive was packing 47.000 kgs

64 wheels in tow... lol

Mind you i could of hauled it with a Ford 1/2 ton 2 wdr...

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If a guy is going use them to tow, the diesel run generator to electric drive motors is the only way in the foreseeable future that it's going to work.

Komatsu has been using that tech in their mine trucks for years.
Edison Motors out of Merritt is doing the same building vocational trucks, it's a great concept that I can see taking hold before we will ever see a fully electric work horse in canada. I know peterbilt had a few for yard moves but only moving lite containers, on flat ground around big wear houses in Seattle.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Edison Motors out of Merritt is doing the same building vocational trucks, it's a great concept that I can see taking hold before we will ever see a fully electric work horse in canada. I know peterbilt had a few for yard moves but only moving lite containers, on flat ground around big wear houses in Seattle.
I think they're onto something especially with BC logging trucks where you climb elevation empty and come down loaded for regenerative braking. The truck works like a mini portable pumped water battery.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is there any lift kits available for the lighting yet?

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That should be a winner for its range. Have to charge up halfway just to run in and get groceries

Better than getting stuck in 6inchs of snow. Or ripping the bumper off in the boulder parking lot.

Last edited:

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Better than getting stuck in 6inchs of snow. Or ripping the bumper off in the boulder parking lot.

If you buy an electric truck you deserve to get stuck…….. they have no place outside of the city limits

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you buy an electric truck you deserve to get stuck…….. they have no place outside of the city limits

I snows a lot in some citys. Id put a lift kit on.

Top Bottom