To the "experts"; thoughts and insights please.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Carbon Pile is where it’s at for battery load testing. Half the CCA rating with a fully charged battery and surface charge removed. If it drops below 9.6 volts in 15 seconds or less, it’s toast. I have zero faith in electronic testers.
Wonder if dealers even have those anymore. Or if the new young guys know what they are. They are the best tester for sure.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Do you know how your battery was tested? Electronic diagnositc is a hit & miss as it does "not" real world load the battery. I prefer the old carbon pile with a proper load & time frame. Do that three times & you will know if the battery is good.

My dual AC Delco's, two years old this spring randomly started going dead. Typical blame it on everything else, finally separated them fully charged & used my carbon pile tester. The second battery when the load was applied for the first 10 seconds was perfect & I started to think batteries are good.

Then it started to drop & was flat.....no second & third test. AC Delco's are not cheap nor are they very good batteries. Did have two year replacement warranty & I was just inside that.
Carbon Pile is where it’s at for battery load testing. Half the CCA rating with a fully charged battery and surface charge removed. If it drops below 9.6 volts in 15 seconds or less, it’s toast. I have zero faith in electronic testers.
That is good to know. I asked earlier if a second opinion on my battery was a good thing and nobody replied.
Jason, do you know who does Carbon Pile testing in Salmon Arm?

Dooitorbust

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That is good to know. I asked earlier if a second opinion on my battery was a good thing and nobody replied.
Jason, do you know who does Carbon Pile testing in Salmon Arm?

I can’t say that I do. Honestly, anywhere that advertises battery testing should have one. Hell, they’re only 2-300 bucks on Amazon. Every shop should have one.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I like to use a test light with a 12 volt incandescent bulb first before I put my meter in line if I don’t have my amp clamp handy. If it gets real bright real fast then I don’t bother putting my meter in line. Easier on fuses lol.
Me also , that way I don't blow meter fuses lol

Top Bottom