To much snow under hood.

powpowpowpow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok just to be clear you are taping the underside of the hood, from shock tower to shock tower?

Lots of gaps everywhere.View attachment 250381
I tape it with the hood installed. Look at your hood and you will see how snow gets in. Even the little ears on side of hood that turn upwards. Shock tower to shock tower. After i did this and prefiler on nose cone..silicone bumper holes i never had any slush in my boots again. Yeah its a pain to remove the tape every time you want to take the hood off but it is what it is change boots or tape Hood. When we go out to ride we are riding in cold temperatures for the better part of the day. 6hr to 7hr. A co-worker of mine was having the same problem and I showed him what I did at first he didn't do anything and then got tired of changing boots so he did the taping and it cured all his problems. It cost nothing except the tape why not try it

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I tape it with the hood installed. Look at your hood and you will see how snow gets in. Even the little ears on side of hood that turn upwards. Shock tower to shock tower. After i did this and prefiler on nose cone..silicone bumper holes i never had any slush in my boots again. Yeah its a pain to remove the tape every time you want to take the hood off but it is what it is change boots or tape Hood. When we go out to ride we are riding in cold temperatures for the better part of the day. 6hr to 7hr. A co-worker of mine was having the same problem and I showed him what I did at first he didn't do anything and then got tired of changing boots so he did the taping and it cured all his problems. It cost nothing except the tape why not try it
Ah I got you now. Thanks.

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Can anyone make sense of this?
Screenshot_20220111-123616.jpg

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Another trick like the wire mesh bug screen is cut out foam chuncks too close the hood down onto,,, inbehind the panels before pushing them into place,,, and wrap a thin strip around handle bar post,,, wire or zip ties too secure...

Foam or wire bug screen will block off all suger snow from filling the engine compartment,,, its a old Crow Foot Mountain trick for us hill climber dudes,,, keep the snow out of the carbs,,, no moisture on the belt or shives and the sleds will top every hill you point the skis too...

Don't share this with others,,, they will think your crazy...

Ha

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Cut the foam too fit and plug up some holes,,, cut and forum the wire bug screen mesh too fit other areas that require ventilation,,, epoxy screen on back side of panels...
A person can tap them clean with our fist if we need more venting under the hood...

About $7 per sled before race day,,, large wire mesh works fine,,, small mesh plugs up too fast and is harder too clean...

Make sure too use large pour foam strips around the handle bar post,,, that way it won't rub the cowling too hard when it stiffens up...

Take note of the cables and wires that run parallel with the post,,, think of it as a extra large foam gasket,,, all a person is doing is keeping the snow out...

A person should be able too run for at least 20 minutes with the sled under the snow,,, deep enough so the wind screen is totally buried...

Just your head and shoulders showing if your lucky... Ha...

They say it's wize too clear every 20 ish minutes,,, you will know when its clearing time when we feel our sleds bogging down...

Its nice too clear before climbing the big 1 way shutts,,, nothing worse than bogging out part way up a one way climb...

I like pulling in air at the front engine compartment,,, it gives the snow fluff time too melt... Ha...

I think of my engine as a steam operated unit...
100 % mixed fuel with lots of moisture...

Suger snow is tuff too work with since its all day long,,, best we can do is slow it down and pin-it...
Heat the beast up under the hood,,, let it melt down,,, do a clearing and get back at it...

At least we try the best we can,,, thats what really counts,,, that and dusting others that are bogged down in the trenches,,, nothing more fun then bumping 4 too 6 feet of snow onto our riding partners... Ha...

They say they don't like us pushing waves of suger snow at them when their stuck,,, its better if we force 2 tons of snow onto them since it makes them stronger,,, that way they can help shovel us out when we go down...

Suger Snow is the best,,, nothing like sleding all day long too cover 20 miles and burn a full tank of fuel...

Good times for sure... Ha

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Holy eff is there ever a gap in here. Take a look.
IMG_20220112_195808656.jpg

Last edited:

mikermz250

Reaction score
This was in the air box, no evidence of any damage on hood, these pics are after I thawed out the first pics and went for another 45 minute ride. -24 and super fluffy dry snow.
Frog skins are mint and took apart airbox and no damage what so ever. Throttle side worse. Air valve screen intact under hood and clamp tight to turbo.
At dealer now to confirm WTF.
The frunk doesn’t seal all that well around the edges, and especially near the cluster so added a little foam strip to help seal it.
Any updates on this?
Just saw another post online of another sled with snow in the intake below the frogskinz…
That makes me nervous..

Ramjet15x

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The seal on the left edge of the air box wasn’t installed correct and had a gap to the hood on the vertical section. Looked at several and a few had similar but nothing as bad as mine.

Attachments

• F4CE2D2A-D8D8-452A-BCE9-C112044EB533.jpeg
    F4CE2D2A-D8D8-452A-BCE9-C112044EB533.jpeg
    186.5 KB · Views: 140

mikermz250

Reaction score
The seal on the left edge of the air box wasn’t installed correct and had a gap to the hood on the vertical section. Looked at several and a few had similar but nothing as bad as mine.
This was in the air box, no evidence of any damage on hood, these pics are after I thawed out the first pics and went for another 45 minute ride. -24 and super fluffy dry snow.
Frog skins are mint and took apart airbox and no damage what so ever. Throttle side worse. Air valve screen intact under hood and clamp tight to turbo.
At dealer now to confirm WTF.
The frunk doesn’t seal all that well around the edges, and especially near the cluster so added a little foam strip to help seal it.
I had my hood off today and was holding the underside of the air box to the light and looking through the frogskinz and could see holes of light, so flipped it over to have a look. Obviously they look like drain holes for water as they are at all the low spots, but yah straight open into the air box. I could see when the turbo is pulling that fine snow could get sucked in..

Attachments

• 1725EDC9-8268-48C7-9D37-CE823E5601AE.jpeg
    1725EDC9-8268-48C7-9D37-CE823E5601AE.jpeg
    331.2 KB · Views: 109
Top Bottom