Titanium welding

JMCX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone know a shop in the Calgary area that can repair a broken weld on a Ti can?

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone know a shop in the Calgary area that can repair a broken weld on a Ti can?

Very hard to find a place that will fix that. If they don’t know the exact grade of titanium and they use the wrong rod the weld will break instantly, it’s like glass when the wrong rod is used. Best to send it bad to the manufacturer

Bernoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
X2 Young gun on here was lookin to a few years back and it was near impossible to find a guy.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was going to build some titanium parts for Deano. Looked into the cost of it to even start to weld it and it would blow your mind. The tig rod alone was over $400 a pound. Then you need to weld it in a gas filled chamber.

Dragonalain

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had a diamond x can break on me last year.

Bought tig rod off eBay had lots of extra rods when I finished the job. It was a little too large for the gauge of the can.

Bought some square bar to build a brace so it’s a lot stronger than oem

Went to my dads welding shop grabbed the tig and started welding it. I did have to fill the can with gas from the mig welder which was super easy. Welded like steel. Like I stated above the tig rod was to large so I had to fight with that a little. Total cost of my repair was maybe $100. Had lots of supplies left over.

Just checked my eBay purchase not even $100

The square bar was for test welding but I ended up using it for a brace. The round bar was a waste as I never used it.

9e98c828a07ceda2bbdc2fececf049fd.jpg

Last edited:

JMCX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the suggestions. It's already at Unobtanium. They estimated about $100. Another shop quoted $300. I even thought of contacting Sait as students probably don't get much opportunity to practice on the exotic metals.

bayman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the suggestions. It's already at Unobtanium. They estimated about $100. Another shop quoted $300. I even thought of contacting Sait as students probably don't get much opportunity to practice on the exotic metals.

I was going to suggest Sait to you. I am there tomorrow night or an industry night put on for students and industry personnel and the ironworker instructors used to work for me. little late now.

JMCX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Once the wrap was off it was clear more repairs were required than the inlet pipe that broke off. The guy dida nicejob adding reinforcements. Was $220 in the end.

IMG_4572.jpg
IMG_4587.jpg
IMG_4586.jpg
IMG_4590.jpg

Chronic Cat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Steve is known worldwide and hands down does some of theee best tube fitting and welding/tigging known to man. To have your name attached to the most exotic custom exhaust systems ever created, for some of the rarest iron in the world would be pretty cool.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is that an SSI? Why did you have it wrapped? Been considering one.

Thistledoo

Reaction score
thats a Diamond S can on a G4 right? I gave up trying to keep them alive, had 3 and they all cracked, its something wth the harmonics of the 850 rotax I think and have just left the stock can on now. I had many XMs with the diamond S can and zero issues...but gave up on the 850

JMCX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thats a Diamond S can on a G4 right? I gave up trying to keep them alive, had 3 and they all cracked, its something wth the harmonics of the 850 rotax I think and have just left the stock can on now. I had many XMs with the diamond S can and zero issues...but gave up on the 850

Diamond S, yes, but on 800 Axys. I ran it for a couple years no problem and then sold it to a friend. this is three and a half seasons on it. I wrapped it because they have no stuffing and figured it would reduce under hood heat. It about doubled the weight though.

MP Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sounds like wrapping it was a good idea..? Glad to hear they were able to get you fixed up!
Wonder what it would have cost to have these guys just build you one from scratch?

JMCX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sounds like wrapping it was a good idea..? Glad to hear they were able to get you fixed up!
Wonder what it would have cost to have these guys just build you one from scratch?

Maybe the wrap took some harmonics out of it and gave it better life than some. This thing was $900 delivered when I originally bought it. Lots of stamped out pieces to reduce production time. A hand built one would be time consuming and costly I'm sure.

Top Bottom