Tiaga, anyone ordered one?

skid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just curious to see if anyone has preordered one of these sleds. Does anyone remember what the heaviest 2 stroke sled was full of all fluids from the weigh off last year? Says on the website the sled will weigh 586lbs with the long range battery, right up there with the Yamaha. And 170hp at any altitude. Once they get the weights down on these sleds be cool to try one.

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They won't be on snow until 2020. I emailed them asking for energy usage in deep powder. If it's anything like what an EV uses under heavy acceleration it will be tough with deep snow. Need solar panels and fast DC charger at boulder cabin.

teamdirt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They won't be on snow until 2020. I emailed them asking for energy usage in deep powder. If it's anything like what an EV uses under heavy acceleration it will be tough with deep snow. Need solar panels and fast DC charger at boulder cabin.

I heard they will be installing electric vehicle charging stations at boulder and frisby cabins.

skid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Guess we’ll have to wait and see in the next few years how they perform. A guy in town here ordered one so should hear about it in the next few years.

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Guess we’ll have to wait and see in the next few years how they perform. A guy in town here ordered one so should hear about it in the next few years.

They had it out in revy 2 winters ago. My buddy got to ride it with the power turned down to 30%. I would guess they did that to preserve the battery.
25 kWh will push a 4500lb car down the highway for 100km with the heater turned on in -20 degrees. (250wh/km consumption).
So lets say that the consumption of the sled is 4 times higher (1000wh/km). 25km range being rode hard in deep snow? I wish they would just tell me the actual number so I could have a better idea.

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Here is there website, https://taigamotors.ca/snowmobiles/

Range is dependent on riding conditions, riding style & terrain. For average trail riding at 60km/h you should expect at least 100km of range with standard battery options.
So I typically ride about 90 - 120 km and mostly in decent pow up and down several mountain ranges, I wonder if these would run a full day or when your in a sweet spot 40 km away your turnig back and limping it back.

Last edited:

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here is there website, https://taigamotors.ca/snowmobiles/

Range is dependent on riding conditions, riding style & terrain. For average trail riding at 60km/h you should expect at least 100km of range with standard battery options.
So I typically ride about 90 - 120 km and mostly in decent pow up and down several mountain ranges, I wonder if these would run a full day or when your in a sweet spot 40 km away your turnig back and limping it back.

They didn't get specific with me at all. They just said that "If you burn a full tank of gas in a typical day then electric might not be ready for you yet".
The perfect application for these sleds right now I think is ski hill maintenance crew, touring, and beginner riders.

Eldereldo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't think solar panel charging is going to work very good at the Boulder cabin most days.

better go with a diesel charging station.

This would be perfect for the guys who spend most of their day sitting in the cabin and bull****ting about their riding. No problem getting a whole day in on it. :rolleyes:

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This would be perfect for the guys who spend most of their day sitting in the cabin and bull****ting about their riding. No problem getting a whole day in on it. :rolleyes:
They should sell like hotcakes then! Skidoo crowd will be all over them when the G5 is a belt burner too.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
100%. Those panels were pretty old not to mention someone was staining the wood and also took the time to stain the modules.

even with better panels, with the amount of fog they have up there and short winter days. probably wouldn't make much consistent power?

Last edited:

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
even with better panels, with the amount of fog they have up there and short winter days. probably wouldn't make much consistent power?

Yeah, it would be tough. Someday when battery storage is cheaper you could probably figure out something viable. It's pretty much a guarantee that as time goes on batteries will become lighter and hold more energy.

If I was doing tours similar to what glacier house does I would be using the Taiga forsure. Next to no maintenance. Cheap power in BC. Ability to turn down the power output for newbie riders.

Last edited:

Quicksand

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
One of these sleds will definitely be on my radar once they can provide a full day of mountain riding.

Me too, I'm excited for these things, battery tech keeps coming and they're gonna blow away combustion engines soon enough. The issue I have the tech is moving so fast that in 2 years the sled is gonna be obsolete and on to the next best thing.

FWIW this is the same reason I've never bought a snow bike yet either. Every year they come out with something better

Last edited:

MK4TDI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
autoevolution: Canadian Startup Rolls Out First Electric Snowmobiles for Eco-Friendly Winter Adventures.

Looks like there might be some on the snow this season.

Top Bottom