This is getting REDICULOUS!!

Polaris500Sportsman

Reaction score
:realmad:I have gone through 2 sets of rear fenders already, and now the 3rd one is starting to melt again at the seat, and right along where the exhaust goes. Its on 2006 Polaris Sportsman 500. My dealer has fixed it the last 2 times and still hasnt put the proper shields on

STYKO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
:realmad:I have gone through 2 sets of rear fenders already, and now the 3rd one is starting to melt again at the seat, and right along where the exhaust goes. Its on 2006 Polaris Sportsman 500. My dealer has fixed it the last 2 times and still hasnt put the proper shields on

Bummer, my kawasaki has tin foil looking material stuck to the inside of the body and the pipe also has some kind of metal thing I think to deflect the heat.....can you not try to put something to absorb the heat? Your dealer dont seem to be helping much.....

Polaris500Sportsman

Reaction score
well now there saying they wont cover the price of fenders anymore. but the ones i have on right now are melted really bad now

Polaris500Sportsman

Reaction score
i will get pics of it this afternoon to share, all that i can see for shields are too little ones and a bunch of tin foil stuff on the under side of the fenders that have started to melt as well

Polaris500Sportsman

Reaction score
one smaller shield is down towards the foot well and the other one is along the top just under the fender, there both about 6" long

OnlyPolaris

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
what else are they supposed to put on it? Those are the factory heat shields and there is no updated heat shield for the 500's. the 500's have never had melting issues. I would say your exhaust is getting hotter then normal for some reason causing the plastic to melt.

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Maybe it's running a little lean, causing the pipe to heat up more than normal. Have you done anything to the quad that may interfere with the airflow under the plastics causing the heat buildup?

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Spark arrestor might be plugged causing excessive heat.

Polaris500Sportsman

Reaction score
Is there anyway the dealer can get the exhaust temp lowered by hooking it up to computer as well? also to note my machine has never had the Polaris Megashield they came out with a few years ago to stop the melting plastic Part# 2876773

redneckladee

Reaction score
I realize this post was way back but thought I would add my problem. I too have a Polaris 2006 500 Sportsman. I have had the fender melt in the same place. I have compared 2 older Polaris and they have better muffler protection, fenders are different, more clearance etc. they should have stayed with that design. I was told there is a 'heat kit' for it but nobody in Canada seems to know anything about that.
So, I got some 'header wrap', wrapped the pipe that had no protection , taped the fenders back on and rode. It still gets hot so I will likely take it to the U.S. for the heat kit, then look at replacing the fender. A body shop also said they might be able to plastic weld it.
Polaris will not be my next choice when I replace it.

bushboy

Reaction score
My FIL has same problems with both his 500's (melted seat and 3rd degree burns on his leg) and I have melting issues (seat, panels, and rubber boots) and a host of other problems with my 800X2. I'm a polaris guy from wayback, but this is crazy. No help from my dealer either. In fact I just had a chat with them about my charging problems that I have paid them twice to tell me that tthere are no issues and they couldn't even find that I had described the problem in their service records. I know dealer issues are not manufacturer issues, but when both outfits are messing up ya gotta seriously think about changing brands.

Last edited:

rodeo1

Reaction score
on my Yamaha they have a metal like material stuck on the underside of the fenders with a 1/4 inch of backing.
i am sure someone sells it try an automotive parts store maybe if the dealer does not have.

polarisdragon800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
on my Yamaha they have a metal like material stuck on the underside of the fenders with a 1/4 inch of backing.
i am sure someone sells it try an automotive parts store maybe if the dealer does not have.
It's called heat tape. You can get it at any hardware store. It comes in rolls about the same size of a roll of duct tape. You just roll some off, cut the lenth you want, peel the sticky back off and stick the shiny part facing the heat source. What it does is reflect the heat back so it does not melt things like fenders. It basically a roll of sticky tin-foil. I used it on the hood of my sled to keep the heat of the motor and exhaust away and it worked great!! should solve your problem.

Top Bottom