The new Ski-Doo Shot start system(it's not electric start)

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
How long does the motor have to run to put a decent charge in the capacitor? If you drive the sled 25 meters and place it on the deck or in the trailer, is that enough charge to start the sled with the Shot button?

Keith Brown

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How long does the motor have to run to put a decent charge in the capacitor? If you drive the sled 25 meters and place it on the deck or in the trailer, is that enough charge to start the sled with the Shot button?
Hi Doug I have a basic understanding of capacitors and I am pretty sure the the capacitor loads upon the first couple of revolutions of the engine. What I would like to know is why the capacitor loses its charge at all. Start capacitors that are use on single phase motors are fitted with a bleed resistor to purposefully discharge the capacitor to protect the start relay. I like the idea just wondering?

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Probobaly need to run it for warm up time to fully charge it first time Engine coolant needs to be at 0c and after that it takes 20 sec to charge according to Dave Norona

Last edited:

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi Doug I have a basic understanding of capacitors and I am pretty sure the the capacitor loads upon the first couple of revolutions of the engine. What I would like to know is why the capacitor loses its charge at all. Start capacitors that are use on single phase motors are fitted with a bleed resistor to purposefully discharge the capacitor to protect the start relay. I like the idea just wondering?
Once charged a capacitor remains charged until you discharge it. CSA 22.1 part 2 requires discharge resistors for safety on electrical equipment. Maybe they had to do the same on these for safety reasons.

niner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We like to call this invention “Auto-Restart.” This is because Shot requires an initial start by pull rope. After your sled runs for 2 minutes, enough energy will be stored to re-start your sled by pure electricity. This works for almost 30 minutes after the sled has shut down. We think Ski-Doo was conservative on the 30 minutes, we had it working for up to an hour after the sled had been shut off. Impressive.

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Once charged a capacitor remains charged until you discharge it. CSA 22.1 part 2 requires discharge resistors for safety on electrical equipment. Maybe they had to do the same on these for safety reasons.
Correct me if I am wrong but that definition is true for and ideal capacitor.

In practice the dielectric material between the two plates of the capacitor isn't 100% efficient and there is a small amount of leakage current.

Also the discharge/firing circuitry is gonna be composed of diodes and transistors which also consume small amounts of energy, even when they are off.

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That is correct and eventually a capacitor charged and not connected to anything it will discharge. Any connected electrical circuitry will also speed up the discharge . I would think it would hold a charge much longer that half hour unless it has a discharge circuit.

Reaction score
Does anyone know if you can buy the shot start off the shelf and install it on a 2015 summit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

norona

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.noronalife.com

When warm it has to run for 20 seconds to fully reload it. You can ride for 20 seconds all day long and restart it, Doug! Please make a vid of you doing that, or actually you can start it twice in the 20 seconds so you can go every 10 seconds..it works

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So many sissies on here. I think it's a great idea and glad to see it! I have no problem with a handful of pull starts a day so long as the option works.

For those that cry about those handful of starts go back 20 years and remember the days trying to start your summit 500 or 500 yamaha on a cold morning or for the first time in a month with no primer. The 30th time you pull it with it still not firing, you will be wishing you only had to pull it 3 times lol.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
So many sissies on here. I think it's a great idea and glad to see it! I have no problem with a handful of pull starts a day so long as the option works.

For those that cry about those handful of starts go back 20 years and remember the days trying to start your summit 500 or 500 yamaha on a cold morning or for the first time in a month with no primer. The 30th time you pull it with it still not firing, you will be wishing you only had to pull it 3 times lol.

When you get to be as old as dirt, let's see if you want to pull that 850 over when it is -20. I've been there, done that and don't consider myself a sissy because I don't want to pull start a motor any more. Tell me, when was the last time you got out to crank the Model A???? Times change and I consider ES a convenience that I have worked hard to be able to enjoy.

The technology is great and it is a cool idea but I'm thinking I will stay with ES and push the button every time without pulling on that rope.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
When warm it has to run for 20 seconds to fully reload it. You can ride for 20 seconds all day long and restart it, Doug! Please make a vid of you doing that, or actually you can start it twice in the 20 seconds so you can go every 10 seconds..it works

So what you are saying is that when the warm up signal goes away another 20 seconds for a full charge. That means I just need to pull start it once. That has answered my initial question. Thanks.

Now, at my age, do I want to pull start it even once when it is -20 or -25????

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So what you are saying is that when the warm up signal goes away another 20 seconds for a full charge. That means I just need to pull start it once. That has answered my initial question. Thanks.

Jesus how old are you?

norona

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.noronalife.com

Don't you have a heated garage? I thought you had everything... :)

Top Bottom