The new Ski-Doo Shot start system(it's not electric start)

X-Treme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.robinsautomotive.ca
If that 850 gave reacharounds you guys would still find something to complain about
Damn rights!! Cause if it gave reach-arounds, then it would definitely find something else to bitch and complain about, or be on my case to do something around the garage. Fix this. Do that. Treat me better. Ugh.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So what you are saying is that when the warm up signal goes away another 20 seconds for a full charge. That means I just need to pull start it once. That has answered my initial question. Thanks.

Now, at my age, do I want to pull start it even once when it is -20 or -25????
You live to close to alberia, move west where it's warmer, problem solved

sent while drinking tea's

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
QUOTE=niner;2374590]I will pass on the reach around.[/QUOTE]
That's how the Yamaha guys feel after every ride

Steve D

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Whether ya get the reach around or not isn't the problem.

The problem is that 850 is f###ing you in the a## to begin with.

:yikes::wtf1:

burky

Reaction score
I've been thinking about this Shot start. In principle, it is a great idea but the reality side of it is different than the one pull/day thing as advertised.

I load my sled on my deck (one pull to start it). Drive to staging area and unload (second pull to start it). Shut off sled while getting ready. Third pull to start it to go riding from the staging area. The remaining part of the day I understand that the Shot will work with the button. That's a minimum of 3 pulls and when it is cold that is 3 too many. I'm thinking the ES will be my choice.

I agreee it is a great Idea in theory (not developed enough for me, I want WAY more reserve time) to early yet I will wait for 3 years to float on my warranty and then trade up to this (unless ofcourse another manufacturer has a better sled at the time).

birdie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I still prefer the pull start as an old guy Yes I am 60
850 starts first pull and usually kind of a half pull once warmed up, so really for all day its very easy
At -20 it has a tougher time pulling over but come on really this is hard Seems to me someone is whining here over nothing
Come on Men What happens to you when you get stuck
E-Start is here to stay and if you can afford it then good on ya I am probably going to add the Shot to the next sled
I watch a 14 year old use his e-start and I say Right on but come on men 30 year olds and you Need e-start Guys hit the gym 3-5 times a week and then order e-start

Birdie

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How long does the motor have to run to put a decent charge in the capacitor? If you drive the sled 25 meters and place it on the deck or in the trailer, is that enough charge to start the sled with the Shot button?

Doug, a capacitor is nearly a direct short when charging and this means if the current available is adequate it would charge almost instantaneously. The reality is this would suck all the available power out of the lighting coil and could actually damage it. Therefore BRP will likely use a charging resistor to limit the current and this will extend the charge time to likely 30 seconds or more. I expect most quick starts will have the power available when you need it. It will only be the first start of the day or when you flood the motor that you will need the pull starter

ps

Sorry if I sounded harsh to the other poster about the beacon interference but I did not want someone to spread false info like I have seen in other posts about electronics interference.

Last edited:
Top Bottom