The new Ski-Doo Shot start system(it's not electric start)

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Don't you have a heated garage? I thought you had everything... :)

The garage is heated and the shop is heated with wood. On those cold mornings the shop can be pretty cold and that 850 would be a beotch to pull start. Like I have said, the technology is great and kind of cool but just one pull on a cold morning and I would be shaking my head. Come to think about it, I'm not one of those people who could start the eTec with one pull ever!

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For the price of the shot system, a person could do the e/s with the added cost of a lightweight battery and add a recoil.
The shot is pricy to still have to pull the cord.

What's the shot worth??? First I heard it was 600 now the latest is 750?? Doo website is all screwed up as of lastnight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

niner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If this sled starts so easy with shot, does it not start that easy with the rope? Sounds like all you need is 1/3 rotation to start? Or does shot do more than just turn it?

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So many sissies on here. I think it's a great idea and glad to see it! I have no problem with a handful of pull starts a day so long as the option works.

For those that cry about those handful of starts go back 20 years and remember the days trying to start your summit 500 or 500 yamaha on a cold morning or for the first time in a month with no primer. The 30th time you pull it with it still not firing, you will be wishing you only had to pull it 3 times lol.

I had a couple 500 rotaxes, 3 primes and bam another quick one after it was running and they were idling.
When warm always full throttle one pull and bam started.
It's not being a sissie to want e start, it leaves more energy to drink after riding....
I must be a real man, no reverse or estart.....

Last edited:

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If this sled starts so easy with shot, does it not start that easy with the rope? Sounds like all you need is 1/3 rotation to start? Or does shot do more than just turn it?

Exactly what I was wondering, every 800 and 850 etec I started needed almost a full pull hot to start.
If it is 1/3 rotation to start than why not just get the pull start??? Seems there is something in the ecm that allows the 1/3 on the shot. If that's true than why not put the 1/3 rotation in all the 850's?

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ummm no. Skidoo had RER in 2002. Polaris had it on there sleds in 2003. Not sure if brp will give this up though. Looks pretty cool. Might be hard to patten though as this isn't new technology, just new to sleds.

Still true today, skidoo had RER out for 4 years and Polaris guys did not even know it.

LID

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Still true today, skidoo had RER out for 4 years and Polaris guys did not even know it.

6a28f890f2e73c9eab19b6751933de69.jpg

99 Tundra

norona

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.noronalife.com
Exactly what I was wondering, every 800 and 850 etec I started needed almost a full pull hot to start.
If it is 1/3 rotation to start than why not just get the pull start??? Seems there is something in the ecm that allows the 1/3 on the shot. If that's true than why not put the 1/3 rotation in all the 850's?

The strength of shot is like 3 pulls of the rope.

NoBrakes!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have heard of guys with the 800 etec turning the clutch to switch clickers (with tether on and kill switch up) and the sled started... scary stuff when your hands are in there! Sounds like the shot signals the ecm to throw fuel and spark as well as spins the mag... its in the video lol

Last edited:

NoBrakes!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Heard a joke once that you could kick the primary and they'll start lol

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For the price of the shot system, a person could do the e/s with the added cost of a lightweight battery and add a recoil.
The shot is pricy to still have to pull the cord.

What's the shot worth??? First I heard it was 600 now the latest is 750?? Doo website is all screwed up as of lastnight.

Checked price list Caper. Estart is now $500 more than manual start and SHOT is another $250 more than Estart. So $750 more than manual start. Hard to believe the Estart system has gone up $50 in one year factory installed??

Eldereldo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

The capacitor provides the charge to power the ECU which then uses the stator to turn a cylinder to TDC, injects fuel and fires the plug. With pull start you need to pull enough to create the charge to wake up the ECU so it can then fire the injectors and plug.

Keith Brown

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am reasonably sure based on the posts since your question that the capacitor charges in the first few revelations regardless of temperature. I believe the warm up component has more to do with to rotation resistance (viscosity of lubricate) and possible ECM protocol’s that may retard fuel when engine is cold.

How long does the motor have to run to put a decent charge in the capacitor? If you drive the sled 25 meters and place it on the deck or in the trailer, is that enough charge to start the sled with the Shot button?

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When you get to be as old as dirt, let's see if you want to pull that 850 over when it is -20. I've been there, done that and don't consider myself a sissy because I don't want to pull start a motor any more. Tell me, when was the last time you got out to crank the Model A???? Times change and I consider ES a convenience that I have worked hard to be able to enjoy.

The technology is great and it is a cool idea but I'm thinking I will stay with ES and push the button every time without pulling on that rope.
Fair enough. Age or disability is a factor to consider. I was more posting towards the younger folks complaining. No offence intended.

FWIW none of my older 500's came with a primer. PIA first start of the season!!

Last edited:
Top Bottom