The new Ski-Doo Shot start system(it's not electric start)

Fun$

Reaction score
Very cool option for very few pounds
my xm won't start unless you give it a crack of the throttle when you pull it
this thing would come in handy
it must rotate the flywheel with the stored energy from the capacitor ?? Like a starter motor??

RGM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Very cool option for very few pounds
my xm won't start unless you give it a crack of the throttle when you pull it
this thing would come in handy
it must rotate the flywheel with the stored energy from the capacitor ?? Like a starter motor??

There are cars now that have a integrated starter /alternator. Similar thing but with a capacitor instead of a battery

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do hasn't stated that it is a patent of their own... So Polaris and Cat will follow next year I bet.

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
images

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's not one free start per pull one pull can last all day it recharges as you ride. Read the article before you comment duh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds like you're in jr high?

Maybe you should read a little closer, one charge lasts 1/2 hr not all day.
My bad for questioning the almighty ski doo....
What's it cost for a day of doo riding? 2 belts 400, bulkhead 4000? Being able to brag you have the baddest sled on doors and mud priceless....

skid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

What's it cost for a day of doo riding? 2 belts 400, bulkhead 4000? Being able to brag you have the baddest sled on doors and mud priceless....

Oh yeah, well my dad could beat up your dad:p

Eldereldo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

That is how long the charge lasts if the sled isn't running, while it is running it keeps the capacitor at full charge. So if you shut off, then try to restart within 1/2 an hour it should go. After that you will have to pull start it again. If you shut off for a few minutes for a break, or to get unstuck you just push and go.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I've been thinking about this Shot start. In principle, it is a great idea but the reality side of it is different than the one pull/day thing as advertised.

I load my sled on my deck (one pull to start it). Drive to staging area and unload (second pull to start it). Shut off sled while getting ready. Third pull to start it to go riding from the staging area. The remaining part of the day I understand that the Shot will work with the button. That's a minimum of 3 pulls and when it is cold that is 3 too many. I'm thinking the ES will be my choice.

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've been thinking about this Shot start. In principle, it is a great idea but the reality side of it is different than the one pull/day thing as advertised.

I load my sled on my deck (one pull to start it). Drive to staging area and unload (second pull to start it). Shut off sled while getting ready. Third pull to start it to go riding from the staging area. The remaining part of the day I understand that the Shot will work with the button. That's a minimum of 3 pulls and when it is cold that is 3 too many. I'm thinking the ES will be my choice.
That is sound logic right there. I am doing the same.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Its an expensive alternative to estart. I was thinking the same but its nice to push a button and start the sled after getting stuck. Just have to make sure it doesn't take a hour to dig your sled out.

Im curious as to why a small earthx battery is not used with that little capacitor.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Its an expensive alternative to estart. I was thinking the same but its nice to push a button and start the sled after getting stuck. Just have to make sure it doesn't take a hour to dig your sled out.

Im curious as to why a small earthx battery is not used with that little capacitor.

I don't have a problem with the 20+ pounds. On a bad day I might push the scale at 165# and after riding 3 days in a row I'd be pushing in the low 160's.

I push the button now to start the sled all day long. i've had that little "golden" button since 2005 and I won't have a pull start again (not even if it is only once, twice or three times)!

signedge

Reaction score
Plus it costs $700 as an option on the website. Bet they come standard in 2019

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't have a problem with the 20+ pounds. On a bad day I might push the scale at 165# and after riding 3 days in a row I'd be pushing in the low 160's.

I push the button now to start the sled all day long. i've had that little "golden" button since 2005 and I won't have a pull start again (not even if it is only once, twice or three times)!

Yep! I sure like hitting that button after my sled takes a 6 hr truck ride and sits outside all night on my deck at -20. It sure beats pulling on the cord at that temp and risk blowing a oring out! Lol

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Hmm that is a good question.

If the mag can charge an estart battery and charge this shot capacitor then why couldn't it charge a small battery and still use the mag to start the sled?

I understand there wouldn't be as much of a weight savings but better than a kick in the nuts.

RGM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The capacitor would have a far larger amperage draw than a small battery and might not be 12V probably 48V or maybe higher. But some of those li-ion batteries are pretty small.

Top Bottom