The new Ski-Doo Shot start system(it's not electric start)

maierch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ummm no. Skidoo had RER in 2002. Polaris had it on there sleds in 2003. Not sure if brp will give this up though. Looks pretty cool. Might be hard to patten though as this isn't new technology, just new to sleds.

RER first came out on the 250 single tundras in 1997- 98ish.

I heard that Doo gave poo permission to use RER as part of a settlement for a lawsuit citing patent infringement on front suspensions of the s- chassis sleds.

Maybe Poo can get the shot by claiming Doo copied their flick ability and instantaneous lift.

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
does a cell phone have what you consider a rapidly changing electric and magnetic field? I guess that would make sense.

Yes, in more ways than one. First a phone designed to transmit radio waves by running electricity up and down an antenna 1900 million times per second (1.9 GHz). Secondly, the processor in the latest phones runs off a 1GHz or greater electric pulse, so your phone even generates interference when in airplane mode. ...it's just a much, much weaker form of interference.

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My question is will the "super capacitor" interfere with beacons and radios?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Wow, there is always one! OVER and over this has been discussed. Your beacon is slightly sensitive to interference when in RECEIVE mode, BUT in TRANSMIT mode, it is less effected by electrical frequencies. The capacitor is acting like a flat line DC charge device (no frequency) so it won't be any different than the battery.

BTW, When you are in receive mode on your beacon, it is usually held out in front of you too, so any other electronics (that transmit) should not be within a foot of it anyway.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Be easier to get someone to start your sled for you, carry your lunch and dry your boots. Like new guy's job each sled trip,,,

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow, there is always one! OVER and over this has been discussed. Your beacon is slightly sensitive to interference when in RECEIVE mode, BUT in TRANSMIT mode, it is less effected by electrical frequencies. The capacitor is acting like a flat line DC charge device (no frequency) so it won't be any different than the battery.

BTW, When you are in receive mode on your beacon, it is usually held out in front of you too, so any other electronics (that transmit) should not be within a foot of it anyway.

**** me for asking a question.

I was more so referring to when the snowmobile is off.

If the capacitor is not being charged then it is discharging.

All that stored energy has to dissipate somewhere.

But hey what do I know?

Last edited:

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
**** me for asking a question.

I was more so referring to when the snowmobile is off.

If the capacitor is not being charged then it is discharging.

All that stored energy has to dissipate somewhere.

But hey what do I know?

Do you do beacon searches on your sled or something?

Steve D

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'd say a big metal sled on the guy is going to cause more interference issues than the little capacitor on the side of it.

Steve D

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think this thing is pretty damn clever, but why'd they mount it to the handle bars? :dontknow:

RGM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

a running sled will give false signals. If you are ever doing a search in a Yuuuge avy on your sled turn it off while checking for signal. No effect on transmitting beacons

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The tech is not new, maybe to the sledding world.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

niner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
RER first came out on the 250 single tundras in 1997- 98ish.

I heard that Doo gave poo permission to use RER as part of a settlement for a lawsuit citing patent infringement on front suspensions of the s- chassis sleds.

Maybe Poo can get the shot by claiming Doo copied their flick ability and instantaneous lift.
My bad, owned a 2002 summit and a 2003 vertical escape. Never paid much attention to the 250 tundras. lol

T-team

"big deal"
Reaction score
I dont know why anyone is getting butthurt on this thread... its a good question.. And theres obviously people on here that know more about electronics, signals, flux capacitors and what not than I do. Its good to talk about and theres really no better way to get information. People like tethair... this is basically his job to know this stuff lol. I honestly didnt know a cell phone did that... I know what it does when its close to a beacon in search.. and I know what I can and cant have around my beacon. But nobody has ever really explained WHY it does that. You asked a question because you didnt know.. But realistically... unless you are getting stuck and buried inside your sled hood I wouldnt worry about it.

Top Bottom