The new Ski-Doo Shot start system(it's not electric start)

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
[h=1]2018 Ski-Doo: SHOT Start System[/h]February 2017 Feature

What if you could get push button start without the weight of a starter, motor, and battery? Well, that day has finally arrived thanks to the engineers at BRP. SHOT Restart system is a radical new approach to starting your sled. While it's similar to electric start, there are some very key differences.

Here are a few key notes to know about SHOT:

1. Adds just 2 lbs.
  2. You have to start the engine once with the rope, then the rest of the day the Shot kicks in.
  3. You get just one shot per charge.
  4. Static charge in the ultra capacitors lasts about 20-25 minutes. (It worked for up to an hour in our experience)
  5. BRP engineered this. 100 percent BRP invention.
  6. OEM option on Freeride and Summit. This is mountain-specific. This feature adds $600 to price of vehicle.
  7. Shot is a restart system. Don’t confuse this with an electric start. It will require pull rope starts at times.
  8. SHOT activation is one rotation of the crankshaft. E-Tec starts on a short degree of rotation.
  9. It doesn't crank and try to start like a car or an electric start dirt bike. It just starts.
Shot starts your sled by storing electricity in an “ultra-capacitor” that weighs a mere 2 lbs. That’s a 22 lb savings over traditional electric start systems. But don’t call this an electric start, because it’s not.
We like to call this invention “Auto-Restart.” This is because Shot requires an initial start by pull rope. After your sled runs for 2 minutes, enough energy will be stored to re-start your sled by pure electricity. This works for almost 30 minutes after the sled has shut down. We think Ski-Doo was conservative on the 30 minutes, we had it working for up to an hour after the sled had been shut off. Impressive.

Why this over electric start? Simple. Give up 22 lbs to pull your rope once all day. We think that’s a pretty fair trade.

In the enduro world, most riders won't even consider a bike without electric start, even the easy to start 2-strokes. Why is this? Being able to tap a button to get your bike (or sled) fired up in a sticky situation, will save frustration and copious ammounts of energy. Once riders get a feel for the advantage of SHOT system we beleive every mountain rider will be wanting one.

Here's a real world review of the SHOT system.
"On our intro ride in Sicamous, we stopped and started our sleds over 45 times in one day. Most of these were right after we either got stuck from doing something stupid, or helped pull another sled out that did something stupid. The difference of not having to climb on the sled and pull a rope (multiplied by 40 times) made a huge difference in energy over the day. If you want to argue that electric start is the same or better, save it. We're not interested in anything that adds 20 pounds to a mountain sled. But the SHOT adds just 2 pounds, which is still 2 pounds in the wrong direction, but its benefits far outweigh the weight––literally." - Ryan Harris, SnoWest Test Rider
IMG_3961.jpg_1600.jpg

Weighing in at a mere 2 pounds, this capacator is what stores the energy used by SHOT to start your engine.

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The idea is sound but not practical Imo. Get one free start per pull....Meh, not worth it. 10 starts and I would be interested.

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The idea is sound but not practical Imo. Get one free start per pull....Meh, not worth it. 10 starts and I would be interested.
One pull.

The mag charges the the capacitor.

You get stuck.

Restart with shot.

The mag charges the capacitor.

You get stuck.

Restart with shot.

You get stuck.

Restart with shot.

You get stuck.

Restart with shot.

You are tired.

You have a 2 hour nap.

You have to pull start the sled because the capacitor has lost its charge.

Repeat.

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My question is will the "super capacitor" interfere with beacons and radios?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My question is will the "super capacitor" interfere with beacons and radios?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
And will the mag have issues down the road, even before warranty is off

With running normally and or the shot if used

Some old tractors with the generator charge-start had issues with working and starting as a example and similar idea

sent while drinking tea's

Eldereldo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think it is a cool idea, guess time will tell if it is reliable. I do wonder if they had to beef up the magneto windings to handle the current required to do this, and if that makes it harder to pull over when you do need to.

Cat401

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
just more chit to remove when changing those eggshell bulkheads.....

doo should maybe to looking into a quick change bulkhead....then we can call it a game changer.......:D

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I like electric start on those cold mornings for the first start when it's a tough pull, so a traditional e-start is nice.....when stuck and starting at an awkward angle this will be nice

etecheaven

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i cannot believe the whiny babies about this. This is a huge innovation! Im gonna take this option all day long. The way i ride i will have to pull start just once in an entire day. ONCE!!!!! TO SAVE 22 LBS!!!!

S U C K IT YOU SORE LOSERS!!!

I do kinda have to eat crow though, i have on several occasion said i would never buy a sled without e start......doo proved me wrong, soooo happy to be wrong!!

Last edited:

RGM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I like electric start on those cold mornings for the first start when it's a tough pull, so a traditional e-start is nice.....when stuck and starting at an awkward angle this will be nice

BRP or some smart guy will come out with a starting port option that you can plug in one of those booster packs into. You read it here first!

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Skidoo had RER out for 4 years and still some Polaris guys laughed when I told them you push a button and the engine runs backwards. I guess shot is along the same lines as this.

norona

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.noronalife.com
I have had this on this season a 175 I have, it is awesome , magneto not beefed up everything is the same only addition is ultra capacitor, wait till ya try it! It works better than They suggest, they want to under play it do to the whinny guys, 1 hour rest I still have starts. Vids to come but still gambling in Reno!

Top Bottom