Texting while driving....

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
So, i had a good one yesterday on way home from work.... I was following a little s/w doing about 20 in a 60kph zone, and heavy traffic backing up behind me. I pulled into the right lane and got up beside this car, and a little brown fellow was deep in conversation on his cell phone. I honked my horn, and the fellow was shocked and he looked at me funny and then flipped me the bird. I passed him in the right lane and signaled an got in front of him. The light in front was just turning yellow, so i started slowing down, and this guy on the cell phone behind me, obviously didn't see my brake lites and almost rear ends me, and then he lost control and spun around on the dry pavement, and luckily never hit anyone. I saw smoke from his right rear tire only, so he probably only had one brake working? Both his bumpers were duct taped into place and i didn't see any lites working on his rusty little s/w.... He was so lucky he never hit me, or hit anyone else when he spun around, losing control and stopping in a driveway into a mini mall. I really hope he learned his lesson....

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I do QC and a lot of insulation drywall counts for our company, I'm averaging 5000kms per month of driving during work hours.
I see soooooo many instances like your Ric, that it baffles me..... I do text and drive minorly with my phone above my steering wheel, so I can still see forward. If it's a major text I pull over.
But it sure makes a person nervous, when the tard is coming up behind and you have to move, to avoid an accident,

Zrock

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ya i see it on a daily basis as well and have just about been hit several times by people.. With today's radios and accessories for cel phones their is no reason to be talking or txting when driving. People that use them for business clients need to realize that peoples lives are not worth it and need to wait for a response. Unless im on the hwy i usually pull over when i have to talk on the phone as i hate the distraction in town, and i have a good handsfree in my truck.

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So, i had a good one yesterday on way home from work.... I was following a little s/w doing about 20 in a 60kph zone, and heavy traffic backing up behind me. I pulled into the right lane and got up beside this car, and a little brown fellow was deep in conversation on his cell phone. I honked my horn, and the fellow was shocked and he looked at me funny and then flipped me the bird. I passed him in the right lane and signaled an got in front of him. The light in front was just turning yellow, so i started slowing down, and this guy on the cell phone behind me, obviously didn't see my brake lites and almost rear ends me, and then he lost control and spun around on the dry pavement, and luckily never hit anyone. I saw smoke from his right rear tire only, so he probably only had one brake working? Both his bumpers were duct taped into place and i didn't see any lites working on his rusty little s/w.... He was so lucky he never hit me, or hit anyone else when he spun around, losing control and stopping in a driveway into a mini mall. I really hope he learned his lesson....

learned his lesson? I think not

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i'm thinking justine trudough would not approve of this post ric! he may be a brown people, and thus the brown people comment may be racist, and how else can a people's have a social life? lol:twocents:

catalac

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yup see it all the time head down looking at phone, swerving between lines on road, crossing center line. Pundits seem to argue against the issue but it is a real concern. Old days of having a burger in one hand and pop in the other seem pale in comparison to driving and having a smart phone on the go.

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There have been 4 fatalities in the Taylor area ths year. The victims were all between 18-25yrs old. They all died using their cell phones while driving. This is such a serious problem.

gdhillon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know in the lower mainland there crackn down on it hard, I’ve seen pictures of cops up in buckets and even in buses looking for distracted drivers.

Imo texting and driving is more distracting then a beer or two and driving, atleast with beer you are trying hard to focus lol....not that I condone drinking and driving

0neoldfart

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Texting and driving is a huge issue - I refuse to ride my bike in city limits anymore, was almost wiped out twice in a month - once on the off ramp of 156st on the Yellowhead, and once when stopped at a pedestrian crosswalk in the town of Calmar. Had I not been paying attention the Harley would have been sandwiched between a crew cab and an Escalade. (As it turned out she rearended that truck at 50km/h, I had zipped around and turned the corner). Thankfully no serious injuries resulted...

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Better than what I woulda called him, i thought brown people was a nice term, if thats bad you dont wanna hear what I call them lol

i'm thinking justine trudough would not approve of this post ric! he may be a brown people, and thus the brown people comment may be racist, and how else can a people's have a social life? lol:twocents:

Russell P

Reaction score
Can someone tell me why, with all the technology packed in to a phone, that if it senses that it is traveling over 20 kph (GPS) it locks out texting and only allows phone calls. LOL. Take the option of texting and driving away. That’s the only true solution I see to this problem.

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes , but what if you are a passenger? or at a red light?

What needs to be done is it has to be blocked if there is just one person in the vehicle.. If the vehicle detects 2 people, the override is turned off or limited to one phone.

Sometimes when I am stopped next to a vehicle at a red light and he has his/her head down, I pretend that the light is green, move forward and the guy decides to go also. I only do this if there is no danger of a collision... LOL I sure get some dirty looks.

Can someone tell me why, with all the technology packed in to a phone, that if it senses that it is traveling over 20 kph (GPS) it locks out texting and only allows phone calls. LOL. Take the option of texting and driving away. That’s the only true solution I see to this problem.

Joholio

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The steering wheel on my Dodge has 17 buttons. The radio/control unit has hundreds of buttons accessible while driving. I agree texting and driving is bad, my wife gives me hell for it all the time.

Halon60

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

So you pull out and pull in front of him close to a light and he’s the douche? You’re probably that guy that follows too close and then passes just to turn at the next exit.

DDrake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A friend at work who used to work overseas told me that in Sweden that if your phone is on while travelling in a vehicle that you receive a fine in the mail even if you are a passenger in the vehicle.Basically if you are in a vehicle your phone must be off. Don't know if this is correct or not but it would sure as hell fix texting while driving if you received a fine in the mail everytime you turned on your phone in the car. Don't shoot the messenger as I stated, don't know how true this info is.

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A friend at work who used to work overseas told me that in Sweden that if your phone is on while travelling in a vehicle that you receive a fine in the mail even if you are a passenger in the vehicle.Basically if you are in a vehicle your phone must be off. Don't know if this is correct or not but it would sure as hell fix texting while driving if you received a fine in the mail everytime you turned on your phone in the car. Don't shoot the messenger as I stated, don't know how true this info is.

This would be awsome.....somehow we managed to get by without cell phones in the past. Crazy eh!
Phones abused to the point that this is an excellent idea.
Get caught using phone and driving....boom 90 day driving suspension just like at work for first offence. From there the suspension doubles each offence. 90 to 180 to 360 days.
Would suit me just fine.

Last edited:
Top Bottom