Texting while driving....

Zrock

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Can someone tell me why, with all the technology packed in to a phone, that if it senses that it is traveling over 20 kph (GPS) it locks out texting and only allows phone calls. LOL. Take the option of texting and driving away. That’s the only true solution I see to this problem.

That is coming i was reading something on it a few weeks ago, going to be in full effect in a few years if memory serves me right.

As far as texting at a red light... you do realize its still against the law to be texting if you are stopped? You can be finned even sitting in tim hortons drive through txting or talking.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think judge dredd should just shoot you on the spot if you are caught with a smart phone inside a motor vehicle.

Too many people out on there on the roads anyways, and this would help thin out traffic jams.

images

acesup800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That is coming i was reading something on it a few weeks ago, going to be in full effect in a few years if memory serves me right.

As far as texting at a red light... you do realize its still against the law to be texting if you are stopped? You can be finned even sitting in tim hortons drive through txting or talking.
That's the problem. There needs to be a little common sense. You can get a ticket for simply holding a something electronic, plugging in a charger, etc even when very safe. Until lawmakers can apply common sense, how can you support losing your license for simply say passing your kid his phone that was charging?

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had 5 different people crash into me while they were texting and walking in Vegas 2 weeks ago. This chit gets old really fast.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i understand that you can voice text on the phones now, as in no typing ? haven't tried it yet, maybe soon.

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Can someone tell me why, with all the technology packed in to a phone, that if it senses that it is traveling over 20 kph (GPS) it locks out texting and only allows phone calls. LOL. Take the option of texting and driving away. That’s the only true solution I see to this problem.

echnically, that is already here. It is turned on by default on iOS devices but you can easily disable the feature which most people do.
T

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had 5 different people crash into me while they were texting and walking in Vegas 2 weeks ago. This chit gets old really fast.
Same happened to me when we were down there in Nov. Best thing about being 6'4" and 270lbs is I see it coming and I don't move or I brace for impact....great fun! It's like bowling with Orientals in the airport, lol.

mxracer14

Reaction score
I do the same thing CUSO! The looks you get are hilarious! I have watched 2 different women let off the brake at a stop light and bump into the vehicle in front of them. Then they start yelling at me for making them rear end someone!? WTF?

52weekbreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I get annoyed seeing people on their phone anywhere in public,I enjoy small towns chatting with normal people, rather then the screen gazing zombie slickers
Well first that the particular person in the opening post is brown is irrelevant. Plenty of white people out there who are as bad or worse.

Texting requires too much hand to eye coordination to do safely in traffic whether stopped at a light or not.

I have gotten in the habit that if I am having a serious conversation with someone on hands free, I will pull over as I recognize that my attention to driving degrades. So do my answers as I am doing two things at once and both poorly.

Something nobody has mentioned is that when calling someone's cell, ask if this is a good time to talk. If they are driving, I keep it real short if it is business and follow up with an email. If I am just calling to visit, I will ask when they will be back home and call them then.

Good etiquette involves both parties in the phone call.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i am not condoning texting and driving. it is dangerous. and some people just cant multitask and its plain scary. however for someone like me i spend my entire day in my truck always on the move and unfortunately this is how business is conducted now a days in some industries. for myself i have started using the voice text option lately it works amazing and you can keep your eyes on the road at all times.

52weekbreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i am not condoning texting and driving. it is dangerous. and some people just cant multitask and its plain scary. however for someone like me i spend my entire day in my truck always on the move and unfortunately this is how business is conducted now a days in some industries. for myself i have started using the voice text option lately it works amazing and you can keep your eyes on the road at all times.
I agree that technology certainly helps and if you are aware that some portion of your attention is diverted to dictating a text and drive accordingly, I think that is great. It does amaze me how many people can't use a hands free blue tooth to talk in their cars.

I know of a situation where a truck driver was having a heated discussion with his dispatcher as his delivery was late due to a breakdown he had. In the middle of the argument, the driver's phone cut off and the dispatcher assumed he was in a dead spot (This was in the late 90's).

Dispatcher got a call from the State Troopers a couple hours later. The driver was so wrapped up in the conversation he drove into the side of a train at a level crossing. Lights were flashing and everything.

Don't underestimate how much an intense conversation can distract you. Keep it light :)

Top Bottom