Tarnish on truck rims

armascott

Armaguard
Reaction score
I’m just wondering if anyone knows of a good product or method to remove this tarnishing from the machined parts of these rims? I’m hoping to clean them up and use them again on my new truck.

e292983878d1eac237b704a1bb5975e8.jpg

462a797ecd57d0d244a8ef4a9f833192.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

freeflorider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think the problem run deeper, corrosion has dug into the clear coat, since the coating is compromised id try a very fine steel wool or a extra fine scotch bright pad and rub oh so lightly.

armascott

Armaguard
Reaction score
I think the problem run deeper, corrosion has dug into the clear coat, since the coating is compromised id try a very fine steel wool or a extra fine scotch bright pad and rub oh so lightly.
Ok this is what I was thinking also, they got away from me this winter for sure. Have you tried using scotchbrite on machined rims before? I’m thinking I’m going to have to clear the rims after also.

armascott

Armaguard
Reaction score
Id sell them and get new ones. New truck deserves new wheels. Jmo though.
Lol I kinda agree but I’m going to try and clean these up anyway, if they turn out good I’ll keep them if not they can stay on this truck.

Jorgy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lightly use an sos pad just on the aluminum. Be careful not to scratch black paint. Like others have mentioned it’ll come just needs some elbow grease

gdhillon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Once you restore them use wd to keep them that way in winter, works pretty slick…and who doesn’t love the smell of wd lol

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
First you need to figure out if the rims are coated or not. You can clean and polish bare raw aluminum, but coated Raw aluminum is a different beast to tackle.
To me In Those pics, they look coated, I could be mistaken.
If they are, nothing will help them instead of sand blasting them, and have if the whole rim powdercoated.

Top Bottom