Tailgate support

X-Treme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.robinsautomotive.ca
For those of you that load your ATV (or sled for that matter) into the box of your pick up trucks, are you adding any additional support to your tailgate? I want to load my Outlander XMR in my truck, but it's WELL over 1000lbs with me on it, and I really don't trust those flimsy support cables to hold all 1200lbs of us.

I've found a couple of options, but they're out of the US, and the dollar is bad enough as it is, but the effing shipping doubles the cost of the product.

Wondering if anybody has found anything that works, up here in our home and native land.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk.

KermitZx6r

Reaction score
I personally wouldn't worry to much about it. As I've never heard of them snapping.

What size are the cables? 1/4" wire rope is rated @ 1100+ lbs in a straight pull. Could you maybe increase the cable size for peace of mind?

tiger666

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've made some out of flat bar,with a bolt that clicks in to your tailgate latch.If i remember to take pictures tonight ill post them tommorow.

X-Treme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.robinsautomotive.ca
I personally wouldn't worry to much about it. As I've never heard of them snapping.

What size are the cables? 1/4" wire rope is rated @ 1100+ lbs in a straight pull. Could you maybe increase the cable size for peace of mind?
It's not the cables that snap. It's the crimp where the cables meet the ends that I'm more concerned about. And from what I've heard, it's certainly NOT uncommon for them to break.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'll admit it's something I've thought about but not something I've done anything about. My Sportsman with me on it is probably in the 1000# range too.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Cut some 2x8's or 2x10's and park the machine on them. Front will hold them from flipping up and weight will be distributed across the length of the timber

X-Treme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.robinsautomotive.ca
Cut some 2x8's or 2x10's and park the machine on them. Front will hold them from flipping up and weight will be distributed across the length of the timber
But what about for loading/unloading? That's more my concern, as that's when the gate will have the most weight. Once in, it'll only have to support maybe 1/3 the weight of the machine only.

johnnytrail

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wouldnt worry about loading/unloading , bouncing down the hwy I have worried about

get an atv riser they are great , you can close your tailgate and if it locks your machine is very secure

got mine at princess auto for about 300.00

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They will handle a lot more then you and your quad. I wouldn't, and haven't bothered. There are guys loading their sxs's in the back of their truck. They weigh more then a quad.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
That's funny this thread cam up... We just replaced both rear cables with some custom made ones, as the factory ones broke when the fellow loaded his maverick onto the tailgate...tailgate and bumper damaged as you can imagine... The factory crimping let loose under the weight. Said he has loaded for about a year onto the tailgate like that. He had a set custom made of bigger cable and welded/crimped. He devised a solid flat iron bracket, that quickly screws on to hold the tailgate in place.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

X-Treme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.robinsautomotive.ca
That's funny this thread cam up... We just replaced both rear cables with some custom made ones, as the factory ones broke when the fellow loaded his maverick onto the tailgate...tailgate and bumper damaged as you can imagine... The factory crimping let loose under the weight. Said he has loaded for about a year onto the tailgate like that. He had a set custom made of bigger cable and welded/crimped. He devised a solid flat iron bracket, that quickly screws on to hold the tailgate in place.

Yeah. That crimp is what I worry about. You don't happen to have any pics, eh Ric?

apex88

Reaction score
For those of you that load your ATV (or sled for that matter) into the box of your pick up trucks, are you adding any additional support to your tailgate? I want to load my Outlander XMR in my truck, but it's WELL over 1000lbs with me on it, and I really don't trust those flimsy support cables to hold all 1200lbs of us.

I've found a couple of options, but they're out of the US, and the dollar is bad enough as it is, but the effing shipping doubles the cost of the product.

Wondering if anybody has found anything that works, up here in our home and native land.

Not sure what vehicle you have, but there's a set for a Superduty for $50 on Infomall.ca Trading Post under vehicle parts and accessories

johnnytrail

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Do you know if he was also hauling his machine with it on the tailate?

Doesn't anyone make stronger aftermarket cables ?

Top Bottom