Tablet for GPS display

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
And the reason I turned my laptop into a gps, was I have windows 10 installed on it, and there is an app called windows 10 offline maps which showed great promise when looking at the clarity of satellite view, however that did not turn out a good as I thought It would. Maybe with some complaints Microsoft will turned out an awesome offline app in the near future. After looking a bit I would say the size of my Memory maps BC file is several GB. It takes about 30 minutes to install all the files

Last edited:

Reaction score
If it is possible could you check you Alberta maps 101110101101 the 146mb...and see if yours have 83d14. Mine has 83d which is 1-250000 and 8,9,10,15. I needed 14 in the middle of that lineup. Oh and why the hell is tetejaune under alberta anyway?

Ummm I'd love to help... but I really have no idea how to check what you've asked (or even what it means lol). I simply have a "Maps" app that came with my phone.... In that app I've downloaded all of Alberta and BC... doing a search for "83d14" says no results. So I'm not sure what I can do.

I was pretty impressed with the level of details in my offline maps (downloaded in the Maps app) but used in the Tracker app.... I could see every little turn I made on my sled... clearings in the bush, even small trail where I reversed my sled out of the bush.... I now also just checked my "Maps" app on my Windows 10 pc... and it matches my phone in regards to file size. I can download all of Canada for 1.69GB.

Capture.jpg

Couch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The topo maps I tried so far are sourced from Natural Resources Canada - more than sufficiently accurate and detailed! With the app I tried you can select areas to download rather that the entire map for the province.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No problem, I was just hoping you where using the dvd purchased from maptown that was on sale a few months ago. I now know the app you are using for topo maps and familiar with its detail. What is the name of the app you are using Couch? Link?

Couch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Backcountry Navigator on the google play store. Gives options to select map source and then you can store selected areas in cache. Just trying the trial version so far so all options aren't available unless you purchase full version. My phone locks onto GPS with location fix in 20 seconds from cold start even inside- that's better than my lowrance H20 gps.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just got back from a day of sledding, sure needed the tablet to get through some tight trees, awesome sledding lots of powdered. GPS is locked on with memory maps as soon as it starts up, google earth will not lock on until you get a lock with memory maps first...weird. I have not used Backcountry navigator yet, trimble makes one very close on google play store. Good to hear feedback.

skierh2o

Reaction score
If you guys get a few pics of your final set up I would love to see them!
As well are any of you running an external antenna for your tablet, or just the stock internal one is working fine?

Ryan

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The Samsung internal is so dam good it can pick up inside a west jet airline. My laptop I am using an external globalsat BU-353 S4. It has a 5 foot lead and has no problem picking up a signal inside a house, lock on time is 20 seconds or so.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Untitled.jpg Screen shot from memory maps, interfaced from a magellan 610 hand held (thin red line). It also will plot routes waypoint directly from the tablet. This is just the only route i could find that was of no importance to me. But it gives you and idea of what the topo maps are like. And the rest can zoom into summit lake and compare theirs and comment on it.

Couch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The Samsung internal is so dam good it can pick up inside a west jet airline. My laptop I am using an external globalsat BU-353 S4. It has a 5 foot lead and has no problem picking up a signal inside a house, lock on time is 20 seconds or so.
LG g3 phone is 15 to 20 seconds lock - even inside the house.

Top Bottom