T3 Sled almost burnt up

Grizzly4323

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Was towing buddies sled out, my sled was working hard. Probe in the exhaust pipe loosened and come out of the pipe right below the air box and started the plastic on fire, threw loads of snow on it and was able to get the fire out.

What can be used to help hold the probe in place? Some kind of high heat sealant tape or?

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Mine has never backed out in either stock pipe or slp pipe. just crank it in tight and check it after a ride and re-tighten.

captain extreme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ya, my 2017 G4 backed out, no Idea how long it was out but, wouldn't doubt for a couple of days or rides. Didn't notice it till removed hood to do some other work. Melted upper airbox, replaced under warranty and dealer install recall/update locking mech. for the probe.

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I recall this being a problem with the 2013 XM, and they came out with a recall or update for 2014 that locked the exhaust sensor thread? Or maybe I am thinking of the rear axle bolt.

Grizzly4323

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The probe is bottoming out on the pipe shoulder to shoulder and not sealing on the tapered thread. Was hoping there would be some type of high heat sealant that could be used in this application! Maybe best thing to do is change out the probe that will seal on the threads and stay tight. Either way I will be checking it regularly.

maierch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Was towing buddies sled out, my sled was working hard. Probe in the exhaust pipe loosened and come out of the pipe right below the air box and started the plastic on fire, threw loads of snow on it and was able to get the fire out.

What can be used to help hold the probe in place? Some kind of high heat sealant tape or?

The G4's come with a retainer that prevents them from backing out. The BRP part number is ​514055604

Mach1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The G4's come with a retainer that prevents them from backing out. The BRP part number is ​514055604
that retainer won't help if it is hitting bottom, I would see if new probe is warranty or I would put a tad of high temp sealer on bottom of thread and stick back in.

maierch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
that retainer won't help if it is hitting bottom, I would see if new probe is warranty or I would put a tad of high temp sealer on bottom of thread and stick back in.

If the sled still has warranty that might be the way to go.

Something must have deformed in the pipe when it came loose to make it bottom out all of a sudden. Might be worth while trying to chase the threads

The retainer also would add thickness below the head and may keep it from bottoming out.

Top Bottom