Synthetic winch rope

mxzguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey has anyone tried any of the cheaper winch ropes for sale on Amazon they have them for $30 to $50 or is this a case of you get what you pay for and they are junk I have been wanting to switch to synthetic but have been holding off due to the high cost.

Zrock

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know a few people that have run it with no issues.. its sorta luck of the draw i guess as one guy for $30 could have good rope and the other guy for same price could have crap. I get mine at the local western equipment dealer for about $50 and i know its good rope. Then just google how to properly tie a eye in it and your good to go

turbo392

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My 2 - 50ft Chinesium synthetic extensions from Amazon have been good. $17ea versus hundreds from the dealership. And free shipping, fawk I love Amazon. Lol

mxzguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yea I think I'm going to give it a try need to replace my steel cable anyway I will have to get a rope fairlead but they have them on Amazon too for about $30 so shouldn't be into it for more than $70 so if doesn't work out not out to much cash

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I definitely recommend checking out CND rope. It's been a couple years since I've been there but they were selling Amsteel Blue with a nice swivel hook for $60. I could be mistaken, but I think I heard they have an even tougher product now.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks will check out CND rope

I am thinking on going to shorter rope(cable) on winch, and running with an extension, for longer pulls. 45' or so on winch and 50-100 ft of extension. Will give me max pull on short pulls, and an extension for longer. I'll be looking for 3/8 th amsteel, dynameen for the extension,

Have two 4 ton snatch blocks(hi momma. ) , 3-4 threaded carabiners, 2 tree saver, snatch block holders, and several tow straps to mount, ,hold ,tow different configurations. Haven't finished my anchor system yet, hopefully soon

Last edited:

camoJoe

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Still have a spare Amsteel rope with me at all times, first one has not snapped yet, but me thinks it getting close, has been good for 3 years now

it was $10.00 cheaper bought it in Yellow, hehe, did say Amsteel blue

LMLCHEVY

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How do you guys secure your rope to the winch drum? My superwinch has a hole you put your 1/4”-5/16” wire rope through and then you run an Allen screw in to jam it. Synthetic rope won’t fit through that hole and obviously an Allen screw isn’t ideal to lock it in place either.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if existing hole 1/4 ", drill the hole larger to 5/16" no problem 3/8" should be no problem either. i have done it a couple times, no problemo. getter done. tie a figure 8 knot on the other ide of drum, rope won't slip out. besides the knot does not hold the rope , you need 5-6 wraps of cable/rope to create enough friction/ holding power anyway.
no guts, no glory!!! just doo it

Last edited:

mxzguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So wound up buying one from Amazon $40 lasted 3 years and lots of winching bought a new one this year different brand $30 but only used it a few times due to the dry year so not sure on it yet but happy with the first one way nicer to handle than cable easy to toss to a friend stuck in the muck

Beer Slayer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Something I was told about the Amsteel rope when I purchased it eight years ago was to pull it out after each ride and dry it out...apparently it will rot over time.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Something I was told about the Amsteel rope when I purchased it eight years ago was to pull it out after each ride and dry it out...apparently it will rot over time.

Heard that to. But I never once did that and never had any issues with amsteel.

Top Bottom