Supercharger

johndeereman346

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
few questions for you guys.
first off does anyone have a supercharger on your trucks and do you tow with them. was it worth the cost to put in. im looking to make a sleeper out of my truck.

Longhorn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.longhornenergy.ca
You would be way better off starting with a diesel. I had a 1-ton pulling truck way back in the mid 80's with a supercharger on a Ford 460. Had tons of power but wont even come close to what you can do with a diesel, and for way less money.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
buddy has a small Whipple on his 6.0 litre Hummer, it makes a huge improvement over stock. it rips, tows like nobody's bidness....and eats the fuel. gets better mileage than stock at respectable driving speeds tho....but who does that?? :D

pics186Medium.jpg

pics187Medium.jpg

Rockwerx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Some of the welding friends of mine put blowers on their welding trucks. Since the truck is essentially loaded all the time they wanted a bit more torque.

One of them found a used blower kit for his 360 Dodge 1 ton. The kit came with 2 pulleys for either 6 lbs boost or 12 pounds boost. He put the 6 lb pulley on it was very happy with the extra torque and hp. The truck gained just over 1 mpg after this mod.

My other buddy put a similar kit on his LS 5.7 Chevy one ton. He put the higher boost pulley on his and reported around 1.5 mpg improvement in fuel economy.

All my friends have told me that if you are not playing with the extra hp and torque that you will gain at least 1 mpg empty or towing. I would go with a gear driven turbo type of blower rather than a roots type of blower for street use...way more durable IMO.

If you have the budget going with a turbo diesel is a great way to go if you tow lots or want to upgrade your trailer to a heavier model.

johndeereman346

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would love to get a diesel truck but there are way too many cons against a diesel for me to justify having one in order to treat it properly. And i do tow everyday for the most part i just want more power.

Rockwerx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would love to get a diesel truck but there are way too many cons against a diesel for me to justify having one in order to treat it properly. And i do tow everyday for the most part i just want more power.

I understand what you mean as I have used both gas and turbo diesel trucks for many years...both shine in different applications for different reasons. I would definately try a blower kit if I were in your shoes. If you can pick a kit that will allow you to change pulleys you can try the more conservative pulley first. Then if you believe that you still need more boost and not over stress your engine pulling your loads you can change it up.

Good luck with your project!

Rockwerx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I raced a young fellow who had a blower kit on his 5.7 Hemi. My truck ate it up till I let off the throttle and let him catch up, but it did go pretty good for a gasser. I spoke with him afterward and he told me I was the first guy to beat his truck...1/4 mile, 60 mph roll on also. He told me that he was surprised at how well my diesel went. His mods built a bit more than 400 hp and around 500 ft/lbs torque he was telling me. My truck makes around 450 hp but almost 1000ft/lbs of torque with my mods. He did not like the fuel economy he was getting though...around 10 mpg most of the time. I am getting over 20 mpg empty and around 14 mpg towing 12,500 lbs.

Top Bottom