Supercharger or Nitrous?

underdog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looking to spend some more money on my play truck, and have come down to these 2 options.
I already have full exhaust, (headers, no cats) Cold air intake, mild cams, 4:56 gears, and an electric fan conversion on my little 4.7L Dodge.

So what are the pros and cons of a supercharger? Nitrous?
I like that with the supercharger, the power is always there, but the price of the nitrous really appeals to me.

Any ideas?

underdog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Both comes to mind...
I don't want the guys with hemi's to be TOO embarrassed! haha

The truck also has 280,000 km on it, so I have to keep in mind that it will need some work internally if I throw too much at it.

Freeride101

Reaction score
Well either way you decide to go your internals might not hold up. With nitrous it all depends on the ch!t you want to put on it, too big a shot and you can kiss your head gaskets goodbye. Supercharger is the same, plus if your going to supercharge your gonna have to compensate for more air blowing in by upgrading your fuel system. If I was you I'd go with nitrous, but no more then a 50 shot. But that's just my opinion.

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
either way your gonna probably need internals on the motor. you can get away with a smaller shot of nitrous or even a 2 stage system. I would say 50-75 would almost be max. I would think that with the supercharger on there you would need to do some work to the trans as well.

underdog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Would probably need tranny work with the nitrous too. That's a little more money than I would like to spend.....

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
am i missing something here??? what kind of truck is it??

as for the nitrous, we play alot with it in the hotrods on the street. First off it is illegal, you get caught with NOS bottles somewhere and say goodbye to the truck. You can have the system installed, but the bottles are where it is at. second, to run with out a nitrous converter( has ballooning plates) it will blow. The only way around this is to run a progressive control which brings it in increments (RPM, speed, timing, whatever you want really). This is the best option if traction is going to be a issue and over 100hp shot. Chevy wise.... the LS motors are capable with 150hp shots, more can be had with a progressive control on stock internals. Most Crate SB and BBC will handle the same. Its the shock loading which kills the engine. stock rods and cast pistons are usually the first to go. Fuel system will need to be up to snuff just as much as a blower motor, we run seperate pumps to keep it consistant.

As for your blower motor, yea that will work great. just remember anything over bout 150hp you will most likely need internal work as well, even more so than the nitrous as it is making power all the time. No need for a special convertor, but tranny may need to be looked at. There will be gas milage loss with the extra loading of turning the dam thing. Roots style systems can cost you up to 15% power loss to turn it, while whipples or pro chargers are much less. It will weigh more, and depending what system you get, intercooler is recommended. cooling system will now be taxed to the max with the extra hot air generated. Hood clearence may be a issue. Cost wise.... you are looking at mayby X5. Would really do this option unless you are over 5lbs, anything less and its a waste of money. BUT... nothing beats ripping the tires loose on demand and hearing that whine!!!:beer:

underdog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
am i missing something here??? what kind of truck is it??

as for the nitrous, we play alot with it in the hotrods on the street. First off it is illegal, you get caught with NOS bottles somewhere and say goodbye to the truck. You can have the system installed, but the bottles are where it is at. second, to run with out a nitrous converter( has ballooning plates) it will blow. The only way around this is to run a progressive control which brings it in increments (RPM, speed, timing, whatever you want really). This is the best option if traction is going to be a issue and over 100hp shot. Chevy wise.... the LS motors are capable with 150hp shots, more can be had with a progressive control on stock internals. Most Crate SB and BBC will handle the same. Its the shock loading which kills the engine. stock rods and cast pistons are usually the first to go. Fuel system will need to be up to snuff just as much as a blower motor, we run seperate pumps to keep it consistant.

As for your blower motor, yea that will work great. just remember anything over bout 150hp you will most likely need internal work as well, even more so than the nitrous as it is making power all the time. No need for a special convertor, but tranny may need to be looked at. There will be gas milage loss with the extra loading of turning the dam thing. Roots style systems can cost you up to 15% power loss to turn it, while whipples or pro chargers are much less. It will weigh more, and depending what system you get, intercooler is recommended. cooling system will now be taxed to the max with the extra hot air generated. Hood clearence may be a issue. Cost wise.... you are looking at mayby X5. Would really do this option unless you are over 5lbs, anything less and its a waste of money. BUT... nothing beats ripping the tires loose on demand and hearing that whine!!!:beer:

Oh sorry, I thought I had put up the statistics of the truck. It's a 2003 ram 1500 with the 4.7L. It's a 2wd.

Here's what it can do now, but it works hard to do it.

Last edited:

E to the v

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Oh sorry, I thought I had put up the statistics of the truck. It's a 2003 ram 1500 with the 4.7L. It's a 2wd.

Here's what it can do now, but it works hard to do it.

You did put them up, thats why he asked....

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Never heard of nitrous kits being illegal on the street?? Got a link??

never said a kit was illegal.... just the bottles in the vechicle. Well unless you have some TDG stickers on your hotrod you got approved.

underdog, my recommendation would be a turbo system... single or dual. keep your gas milage, power on demand. Single would be the easiest and off the start you could utilize/max out your origional fuel system. upgrade as your go. Grab a copy of efi live and your good to go.With regards to trannys, most turbos systems are lot easier on loading everything as well your internals. Lots of LS 5.3L/6.0L guys running around with 800hp on turbos. Hell hotrod did a article on a LS 4.8L, they boosted it up to 25lbs just to see when it would give.... and it didnt. Made 1100hp+ on 110oct.

Last edited:

underdog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
never said a kit was illegal.... just the bottles in the vechicle. Well unless you have some TDG stickers on your hotrod you got approved.

underdog, my recommendation would be a turbo system... single or dual. keep your gas milage, power on demand. Single would be the easiest and off the start you could utilize/max out your origional fuel system. upgrade as your go. Grab a copy of efi live and your good to go.With regards to trannys, most turbos systems are lot easier on loading everything as well your internals. Lots of LS 5.3L/6.0L guys running around with 800hp on turbos. Hell hotrod did a article on a LS 4.8L, they boosted it up to 25lbs just to see when it would give.... and it didnt. Made 1100hp+ on 110oct.

Thanks for all the info oler. I'll look into building a turbo kit. I have an old 6:5 turbo diesel out back that has a bad motor, maybe I can somehow use that turbo. Would save a little bit of money.

Fuel mileage isn't a HUGE concern. (it is a pickup after all) but would still be nice to drive to Kelowna and still have over 1/4 tank like it does now.

slednk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I having the same debate with my 83 chev pickup with a 350 it has a few thing done to it.... it already hangs a lickin on stock hemi's .... Lol by the way that's a nice truck lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

underdog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I having the same debate with my 83 chev pickup with a 350 it has a few thing done to it.... it already hangs a lickin on stock hemi's .... Lol by the way that's a nice truck lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks!
Ya this one will stick right beside stock hemis now, but only quad cabs. Regular cabs will pull away.

Griz-L-Bar

Reaction score
well with 280 on it, addind any form of forced/spray will be running the motor on borrowed time. Turbos is interesting thought but if you go for a homemade kit you will have to do alot of research to get your turbo sized to your motor, and then the engine tuning after. Maybe your good with the computers and can handle it though.

Either the nitrous or charger would be better(read simpler), imo, Nitrous gives you instant/on demand power and full tuned right of the box, with certain kits. just select your power level, and hook up your tps plumb fuel line, purge, and arm switch. If your good with your hands prob a day or less to do. But then you need to refill bottle, and its probably goin in the box so weather conditions, theft all come into play.

charger, bolt it on, put on belt and Kennel Belle boost a pump(Fuel Upgrade) hook up programmer that comes with kit(I Presume), start truck put in gear, attempt to detroy floorboards....smurk! And you can set your boost to what your truck needs say to start 5psi should give you around 400hp, maybe more depending on supporting mods. And when or if it does go(motor) put on smaller pulley viola 10psi and 500hp. ok ok those #'s might be wrong but you get the idea

Also there could be a centrificul charger available, Looks like turbo but is belt drive. Kit would be very similar. But your full boost level would nt be achieved till higher in the rpm range which I would think should be easier on the driveline seein how everything is already rollin.

good luck and nice truck

Top Bottom